Superhuman FATE

  • trey_palmer@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2004
      Folks,
      I suspect I'm cruising for trouble with this but I'd at least like to
      see if someone has covered it before.
      You see, I'm pondering a game inspired by Hellboy (I saw the movie
      and bought the RPG (and I think FATE would handle it better than the
      GURPS Lite in the game)) and was wondering how to handle superhuman
      characters like Hellboy, Roger, Abe, Liz and others.

      To me it seems like I'd either need a _lot_ of phases, or to change
      the allocation of skills and aspects per phase.

      What I wonder is has anyone dealt with issues like this? And how did
      they deal with them?

      Thanks,
      Trey
    • Manveru
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2004
        I've actually run into the same questions while trying to work out an Ars
        Magica inspired rule set for FATE. I'm quite far now, but I initially
        discovered that the thing about FATE Aspects is that it's ALL about context
        and scope, and that's all up to you.

        You could, for example, have a perfectly functioning FATE Hellboy character
        like this:

        Hellboy

        Aspects:
        --------
        Hellspawn OOO
        Badass OOO
        Good Guy OO

        Skills:
        --------
        Ass-whoopin' (Epic)
        Shooting things (Superb)
        Athletics (Superb)
        Talking Tough (Great)
        etc.

        Or, you can develop a whole structured chargen system that makes sense to
        you.

        If you want to import stuff from GURPS, you should be able to do the Skills
        really easy, and then mine the Adv/Disadv/Talents/Misc stuff for
        Aspect/Stunt fodder.

        The breakdown of character 'pieces' that I'm using goes like this:

        Aspects

        Skills
        Stunts

        Extras
        Intrinsic
        Personal
        Shared

        I define Stunts here as essentially Aspects that allow a character to either
        do something that one couldn't do without such a Stunt (invoke the Stunt to
        do that 'special something', like Blindfight), or do something that others
        can do, but better, like hit a bullseye on a target (invoke the Stunt to
        increase the MOS). Basically just like Aspects, but ideally much narrower
        in scope/scale.

        Once you get your head around the fact that there's little to no correlation
        between FATE mechanics and the 'way things work in the real/fantasy world',
        the more you can use them for what I think they were designed for, which was
        to define a 'Tag' (which essentially just defines the boundaries of the
        associated Aspect/Skill/what-have-you) and then use that 'Tagged' object in
        the same _mechanical_ manner as other 'Tagged' objects in the game, with the
        primary/only distinction being WHEN and/or FOR WHAT you can invoke this
        'Tagged' object for.

        I'm getting too metaphysical, aren't I? ;-)

        Hope this helps!