Re: [FateRPG] How does a Red court infected recover hunger stress?

  • Brett Ritter
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:47 PM, david mcbirde <jystdave@...> wrote:
      > From what I understand regular vampires recover their hunger stress by feeding. How does a Red Court Infected recover their hunger stress and recharge their supernatural abilities?

      Red Court and Black Court feed on blood, while White Court feeds on emotions.

      --
      Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
      swiftone@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
        Okay maybe I wasn't clear. Red court infected are not supposed to give over to the dark side and feed on blood. Right?

        So how do they recover the hunger stress without drinking blood?
        Do they just rest and meditate and try and relax until the hunger goes away?

        Jyst

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
            On 1 April 2011 07:47, david mcbirde <jystdave@...> wrote:

            Okay maybe I wasn't clear. Red court infected are not supposed to give over to the dark side and feed on blood. Right?

            So how do they recover the hunger stress without drinking blood?
            Do they just rest and meditate and try and relax until the hunger goes away?

            OK, let me just put down some words and figure this out.

            From Your Story p 190 "Feeding Dependency"
            1. Hunger Stress does not clear at the end of the scene.
            2. At the end of a scene make a "Limited Reserves" check to see of you experience a "feeding failure" which is an attack against your Hunger track.  Succeeding in this check clears out the Hunger Stress track, failure adds more stress.

            In the text I could not find any indication of how to remove Hunger Stress aside from "Opting out of a scene, essentially because you are spending it feeding" (p190 - Failure Recovery).

            Otherwise, it looks like the text does not include the outright steps for an Infected character to reduce Hunger Stress. So, I would house-rule that either sipping blood, meditation, or relaxation for a scene will clear the Hunger stress track.

            --
            110.  Labour to keep alive in your breast that little celestial fire called conscience.
            --George Washington
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
              On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Sean D <thornlord@...> wrote:
              > From Your Story p 190 "Feeding Dependency"
              > 1. Hunger Stress does not clear at the end of the scene.
              > 2. At the end of a scene make a "Limited Reserves" check to see of you experience a "feeding failure" which is an attack against your Hunger track.  Succeeding in this check clears out the Hunger Stress track, failure adds more stress.
              >
              > In the text I could not find any indication of how to remove Hunger Stress aside from "Opting out of a scene, essentially because you are spending it feeding" (p190 - Failure Recovery).

              Um...didn't you just point out that #2 above _clears out the Hunger
              Stress track_ if you succeed? That was my understanding.

              Granted, this means that a vampire that doesn't push their reserves
              might never have to feed...but with the chance of a -4 roll they will
              EVENTUALLY have to. (barring enough bonuses, e.g. from tattoos)

              --
              Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
              swiftone@...
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                On 1 April 2011 08:59, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:

                On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Sean D <thornlord@...> wrote:
                > From Your Story p 190 "Feeding Dependency"
                > 1. Hunger Stress does not clear at the end of the scene.
                > 2. At the end of a scene make a "Limited Reserves" check to see of you experience a "feeding failure" which is an attack against your Hunger track.  Succeeding in this check clears out the Hunger Stress track, failure adds more stress.
                >
                > In the text I could not find any indication of how to remove Hunger Stress aside from "Opting out of a scene, essentially because you are spending it feeding" (p190 - Failure Recovery).

                Um...didn't you just point out that #2 above _clears out the Hunger
                Stress track_ if you succeed? That was my understanding.

                Granted, this means that a vampire that doesn't push their reserves
                might never have to feed...but with the chance of a -4 roll they will
                EVENTUALLY have to. (barring enough bonuses, e.g. from tattoos)

                --
                Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
                swiftone@...

                Yes, but if the character fails then opting-out would either be feeding from blood bags or meditating all Blade like.  :)

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                  On Friday, April 1, 2011, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:
                  > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Sean D <thornlord@...> wrote:
                  >> From Your Story p 190 "Feeding Dependency"
                  >> 1. Hunger Stress does not clear at the end of the scene.
                  >> 2. At the end of a scene make a "Limited Reserves" check to see of you experience a "feeding failure" which is an attack against your Hunger track.  Succeeding in this check clears out the Hunger Stress track, failure adds more stress.
                  >>
                  >> In the text I could not find any indication of how to remove Hunger Stress aside from "Opting out of a scene, essentially because you are spending it feeding" (p190 - Failure Recovery).
                  >
                  > Um...didn't you just point out that #2 above _clears out the Hunger
                  > Stress track_ if you succeed?  That was my understanding.
                  >
                  > Granted, this means that a vampire that doesn't push their reserves
                  > might never have to feed...but with the chance of a -4 roll they will
                  > EVENTUALLY have to. (barring enough bonuses, e.g. from tattoos)

                  Right. The books are a little unclear whether infected sorts who don't
                  turn ever chance feeding, period; many give in, the the remainder is
                  careful about not letting the hunger get to them. It is fertile house
                  rule/table judgment territory to have a conversation about what sort
                  of methods might allow an infected to shed hunger stress without
                  turning. I don't get the sense that Susan ever did a blood method;
                  maybe because it'd be like giving an alcoholic access to the liquor
                  cabinet.

                  Fred Hicks
                  Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
                  Art Director, Hero Games - www.herogames.com
                • Travis Casey
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                    On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                      On Friday, April 1, 2011, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:

                    > Granted, this means that a vampire that doesn't push their reserves
                    > might never have to feed...but with the chance of a -4 roll they will
                    > EVENTUALLY have to. (barring enough bonuses, e.g. from tattoos)

                    Right. The books are a little unclear whether infected sorts who don't
                    turn ever chance feeding, period; many give in, the the remainder is
                    careful about not letting the hunger get to them. It is fertile house
                    rule/table judgment territory to have a conversation about what sort
                    of methods might allow an infected to shed hunger stress without
                    turning. I don't get the sense that Susan ever did a blood method;
                    maybe because it'd be like giving an alcoholic access to the liquor
                    cabinet.

                    Given the behavior we've seen from Susan, I'd say that the tattoos of the Fellowship allow one to convert Hunger stress into Consequences.  Another alternative might be them converting Hunger stress into Social or Mental stress (possibly at a higher exchange rate).
                  • Malckuss
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                      I always got the feeling it was one of three (maybe all three) methods:

                      1) Carefully administered and supervised blood infusion, or a limited quantity of blood imbibed, say via a bowl in a locked room with no one else present.

                      2) Magical elixer that either simulated blood (like in Blade or True Blood), or suppressed the hunger

                      3) Meditation for self control, abstinence and the (agonizingly slow) passage of time, similar to a human trying to resist readily available sex. You can do it, but it sucks.

                      The world kneels before love. It is humbled and awed by it.

                      >> 1. Hunger Stress does not clear at the end of the scene.
                      >> 2. At the end of a scene make a "Limited Reserves" check to see of you experience a "feeding failure" which is an attack against your Hunger track.  Succeeding in this check clears out the Hunger Stress track, failure adds more stress.
                      >>
                      >> In the text I could not find any indication of how to remove Hunger Stress aside from "Opting out of a scene, essentially because you are spending it feeding" (p190 - Failure Recovery).
                      >
                      > Um...didn't you just point out that #2 above _clears out the Hunger
                      > Stress track_ if you succeed?  That was my understanding.
                      >
                      > Granted, this means that a vampire that doesn't push their reserves
                      > might never have to feed...but with the chance of a -4 roll they will
                      > EVENTUALLY have to. (barring enough bonuses, e.g. from tattoos)

                      Right. The books are a little unclear whether infected sorts who don't
                      turn ever chance feeding, period; many give in, the the remainder is
                      careful about not letting the hunger get to them. It is fertile house
                      rule/table judgment territory to have a conversation about what sort
                      of methods might allow an infected to shed hunger stress without
                      turning. I don't get the sense that Susan ever did a blood method;
                      maybe because it'd be like giving an alcoholic access to the liquor
                      cabinet.

                      Fred Hicks
                      Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
                      Art Director, Hero Games - www.herogames.com

                    • Antoni Ten
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                        It's been a while, but I seem to recall a couple of instances of Harry
                        giving an unconscious Susan blood...
                      • James
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
                          Indeed, my read of the Red Court Infected template is that it is the killing while feeding that is the "And now you're a full monster" line. That said, there are more than a few ways around this: Characters with really high Discipline can carefully control their Hunger. You might restrict yourself to only willing donors, or blood from blood banks. You might fall back on an old classic and drink pig or cattle blood (depending on the GM, you might need a lot of animal blood, but still...). However you handle it, it is the killing of a living, thinking being to satisfy your own needs that is the last line for a Red Court Infected character. Play with that line however you like for your game, but don't cross: you don't get a second chance (usually...).