Re: [FateRPG] Re: Charging a spell (A.K.A: Kah...Mey...Ah!!!)

  • Leonard Balsera
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Andreas Stein <amstein99@...> wrote:
      > That sounds right. It was pretty early in the book; I remember he sprays the rubble from the wall all over Thomas's new Hummer.

      Okay, here's the prose from Small Favor:

      "Something came charging through the doorway, to be met by Thomas'
      sword and pistol... I drew in my will, pointed my staff at the front
      wall of the house and murmured, 'Forzare,' sending out a slow pulse of
      motion. I let it press up against the front wall of the house, and
      then fed more energy into it, hardening it into a single striking
      surface.

      Then I drew back and really let loose, roaring 'Forzare!' at the top
      of my lungs. I unleashed everything I had into a blast of energy,
      which struck against the plate of force I'd just created. There was an
      enormous sound of screaming wood and steel, and the entire front wall
      of the house blasted free from its frame."

      So, if you're being literal, it's two spells - one to put the plate
      there, another to hammer it out.

      I highly recommend you (and everyone else, by extension) don't look at
      this so literally, and understand the *narrative* thrust of the action
      as "an attack that blows out the wall".

      If I'm running this scene, and a player describes this, I would say,
      "So what you're telling me is that you want to take some extra time to
      prep this thing. So, how about this: call up your power and take your
      stress. Probably you're looking at eight shifts (Legendary) to blow
      out the wall. Now roll me a Discipline roll as a navel-gazing
      maneuver, and I'll give you a self-taggable aspect of "Special Prep".
      Presuming Thomas can keep the nasty off of you, you can unleash it
      next round and tag your Special Prep in whatever fashion seems most
      useful."

      'Cause really, it's just like aiming to put something "In My Sights"
      or whatever.

      That's my take, based on the context in the book.

      Now: if Thomas had not been able to keep the thing from getting to
      Harry, I'd say there'd be a definite danger of fallout from that
      stored-up energy.

      -Lenny

      -L
    • Andreas Stein
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Balsera <lbalsera@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Andreas Stein <amstein99@...> wrote:
        > > That sounds right. It was pretty early in the book; I remember he sprays the rubble from the wall all over Thomas's new Hummer.
        >
        > Okay, here's the prose from Small Favor:
        >
        > "Something came charging through the doorway, to be met by Thomas'
        > sword and pistol... I drew in my will, pointed my staff at the front
        > wall of the house and murmured, 'Forzare,' sending out a slow pulse of
        > motion. I let it press up against the front wall of the house, and
        > then fed more energy into it, hardening it into a single striking
        > surface.
        >
        > Then I drew back and really let loose, roaring 'Forzare!' at the top
        > of my lungs. I unleashed everything I had into a blast of energy,
        > which struck against the plate of force I'd just created. There was an
        > enormous sound of screaming wood and steel, and the entire front wall
        > of the house blasted free from its frame."
        >
        > So, if you're being literal, it's two spells - one to put the plate
        > there, another to hammer it out.
        >
        > I highly recommend you (and everyone else, by extension) don't look at
        > this so literally, and understand the *narrative* thrust of the action
        > as "an attack that blows out the wall".
        >
        > If I'm running this scene, and a player describes this, I would say,
        > "So what you're telling me is that you want to take some extra time to
        > prep this thing. So, how about this: call up your power and take your
        > stress. Probably you're looking at eight shifts (Legendary) to blow
        > out the wall. Now roll me a Discipline roll as a navel-gazing
        > maneuver, and I'll give you a self-taggable aspect of "Special Prep".
        > Presuming Thomas can keep the nasty off of you, you can unleash it
        > next round and tag your Special Prep in whatever fashion seems most
        > useful."
        >
        > 'Cause really, it's just like aiming to put something "In My Sights"
        > or whatever.
        >
        > That's my take, based on the context in the book.
        >
        > Now: if Thomas had not been able to keep the thing from getting to
        > Harry, I'd say there'd be a definite danger of fallout from that
        > stored-up energy.
        >

        > -Lenny
        >

        > -L

        So you *do* take stress for the maneuver?
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
          On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Andreas Stein <amstein99@...> wrote:
          So you *do* take stress for the maneuver?

          That's not what Lenny's example implied. He talked about a "navel-gazing maneuver" using Discipline as the key skill. That's a normal skill operation, not spellcasting.

          --
          Fred Hicks
          Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Andreas Stein <amstein99@...> wrote:
            >
            > > So you *do* take stress for the maneuver?
            > >

            > That's not what Lenny's example implied. He talked about a "navel-gazing
            > maneuver" using Discipline as the key skill. That's a normal skill
            > operation, not spellcasting.
            >
            > --
            > Fred Hicks
            > Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
            > Art Director, Hero Games - www.herogames.com

            Ah, okay- I re-read that part where he wrote "call up your power and take your stress", and I see now it's just for the subsequent action.