Re: Guns

  • drpachyderm
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 14, 2004
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "ranthilian" <LWW@p...> wrote:
      > I think it just doesn't feel as intuitively right to have skill be
      > the primary point of comparison in a gunfight. Or at least not
      > shooting skill. How well someone shoots has very little to do with
      > not getting hit by shooting. Range, cover, concealment, etc. are
      > all much more important to keeping your hide in one piece when the
      > handcannons come out.

      Have you considered decoupling the two events, then?

      What I mean is, have each shooter roll a test against a set
      difficulty. The GM sets the difficulty based on how hard to hit the
      other guy is, not on the other guy's skill. Use each character's MoS
      to damage the other character (note that this allows for both
      characters to be wounded in the same exchange)

      Example:
      Bob and Dave decide to shoot each other. They're standing on rooftops
      across a wide avenue from each other. Bob has a colt .45 and Dave has
      a sniper rifle with a scope. Bob is standing up and Dave is crouching
      behind a low wall. Bob rolls against a difficulty of Epic while Dave
      rolls against a difficulty of Mediocre.

      Bob rolls +,+,+,- and has a Superb skill, so he hits with a MoS of 1.

      Dave rolls +,0,0,- and has a Good skill, so he hits with a MoS of 3.
    • Iago
      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 21, 2004
        On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Mike Holmes wrote:

        > So, have you given any thought to paring down to just one
        > practical presentation?

        Yeah, but that may end up the place of individual
        implementations (settings?) for Fate. There is an extent
        to which I, at least, want a number of tools in my
        toolkit, even if I only use a subset with each
        construction job.

        That said there is certainly a part of me tempted to ditch
        turn-based. :)

        --
        Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
        Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic