Re: [FateRPG] Re: Looking for FATE adventures

  • Hollis McCray
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31, 2011
      On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Orion <deckrect@...> wrote:
      > >  I decided to move my Star Trek Campaingn from Gurps to Fate (yes... it makes very few sense... lol)
      >
      > Actually I know that Fudge gets/got lots of players from GURPS - more
      > than any other single system if I had to guess. I suppose it's sort
      > of an "evolution" in gaming expectations.
      >
      > Games like D&D are fun, but you chafe at the limited options presented
      > by the mechanics, so you move on to a game with more comprehensive
      > mechanics, like GURPS. Then GURPS is fun but you tire of the
      > maintenance of the mechanics and just want the story to flow, so you
      > move on to a game based on fewer, more flexible elements (Fudge).
      > Fudge is fun, but somewhat sparse in thematic elements, so you move on
      > to a game with more story elements (FATE).

      My Saturday night game is in the process of moving from M&M to SoF.
      The biggest hurdle was getting the concept of Aspects across. Once
      they had that, character creation moved fairly swiftly. I'm having to
      play catch-up to their creativity!

      I think the thing that made it easiest was the idea that they could
      describe their core character concept with words, not numbers.

      --
      Hollis McCray
      aka The Fifth Wanderer

      ascensionschild@...

      "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
      LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere
    • Orion
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
        Yes... much like this... at some point, the characters record sheet looked over complicated for some players, as this group have large intervals between game sessions... so i was in need of something simple and that would be scene friendly, lets say.

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Orion <deckrect@...> wrote:
        > >  I decided to move my Star Trek Campaingn from Gurps to Fate (yes... it makes very few sense... lol)
        >
        > Actually I know that Fudge gets/got lots of players from GURPS - more
        > than any other single system if I had to guess. I suppose it's sort
        > of an "evolution" in gaming expectations.
        >
        > Games like D&D are fun, but you chafe at the limited options presented
        > by the mechanics, so you move on to a game with more comprehensive
        > mechanics, like GURPS. Then GURPS is fun but you tire of the
        > maintenance of the mechanics and just want the story to flow, so you
        > move on to a game based on fewer, more flexible elements (Fudge).
        > Fudge is fun, but somewhat sparse in thematic elements, so you move on
        > to a game with more story elements (FATE).
        >
        > Note:Evolution here does not mean one is better than others.
        >
        > --
        > Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
        > swiftone@...

      • Orion
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
          Ok... and now i would like to ask you guys for some suggestions and guidance. I have very few experience in FATE and just started using it. I loved the idea of placing tags over someone or something, like "hey... then what if i spend a urn aiming a target?", "You place a tag 'under my aim' on it!". I think its great! I have been using some of this spirit and also placed some aspects and skill on some items wich are frequently used, to represent the diferences over models and the like. But, what if an item aspect has a negative invocation? If a guns has "unreliable" level 2 and i call this aspect, should i give the 2 fate points to the player? I am a bit curious hoe to handle it.

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Hollis McCray <ascensionschild@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Orion <deckrect@...> wrote:
          > > >  I decided to move my Star Trek Campaingn from Gurps to Fate (yes... it makes very few sense... lol)
          > >
          > > Actually I know that Fudge gets/got lots of players from GURPS - more
          > > than any other single system if I had to guess. I suppose it's sort
          > > of an "evolution" in gaming expectations.
          > >
          > > Games like D&D are fun, but you chafe at the limited options presented
          > > by the mechanics, so you move on to a game with more comprehensive
          > > mechanics, like GURPS. Then GURPS is fun but you tire of the
          > > maintenance of the mechanics and just want the story to flow, so you
          > > move on to a game based on fewer, more flexible elements (Fudge).
          > > Fudge is fun, but somewhat sparse in thematic elements, so you move on
          > > to a game with more story elements (FATE).
          >
          > My Saturday night game is in the process of moving from M&M to SoF.
          > The biggest hurdle was getting the concept of Aspects across. Once
          > they had that, character creation moved fairly swiftly. I'm having to
          > play catch-up to their creativity!
          >
          > I think the thing that made it easiest was the idea that they could
          > describe their core character concept with words, not numbers.
          >
          > --
          > Hollis McCray
          > aka The Fifth Wanderer
          >
          > ascensionschild@...
          >
          > "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
          > LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere

        • Brad Murray
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
            On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Orion <deckrect@...> wrote:
            But, what if an item aspect has a negative invocation? If a guns has "unreliable" level 2 and i call this aspect, should i give the 2 fate points to the player? I am a bit curious hoe to handle it.

            Treat it like an already-tagged consequence -- it's a tasty Aspect for the enemy to tag, paying the owner. The enemy gets benefit from the unreliability rather than the owner getting a detrimental effect. Obviously the story will be easier to come up with in a defensive roll, but not impossible in an offensive context as well. And, of course, it's also open for compels.

            Put any aspect on something -- positive or negative or ambiguous -- and it's a story generation machine.

            --
            Brad Murray (halfjack)
            VSCA Publishing
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
              Oh. Ok... and the same goes on other non-oppositions situations? I wonder something like: Its critical for a character to reach a place in time. I described the city as a weird maze and i decide to use it, lets say, telling him to re-roll (is it possoble?). Do i give him Fate points? I mean... because the player may call a "scenery aspect", like "weird maze" of a place to get advantages or re-rolls, right? Or am i mixing things too much? I confess i was reading the core Fate2 here, and i cannot find the place where there are Tags. I suppose i got this rule from somewhere else...

              But it is SO TEMPTING to put aspects on settings and things and then use this... lol... I am unsure if i shopuld really put levels on it or just consider it a "refreshing level 1 aspect".

              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Orion <deckrect@...> wrote:
              >
              > > But, what if an item aspect has a negative invocation? If a guns has
              > > "unreliable" level 2 and i call this aspect, should i give the 2 fate points
              > > to the player? I am a bit curious hoe to handle it.
              > >

              > Treat it like an already-tagged consequence -- it's a tasty Aspect for the
              > enemy to tag, paying the owner. The enemy gets benefit from the
              > unreliability rather than the owner getting a detrimental effect. Obviously
              > the story will be easier to come up with in a defensive roll, but not
              > impossible in an offensive context as well. And, of course, it's also open
              > for compels.
              >
              > Put any aspect on something -- positive or negative or ambiguous -- and it's
              > a story generation machine.
              >
              > --
              > Brad Murray (halfjack)
              > VSCA Publishing

            • Brad Murray
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
                On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Orion <deckrect@...> wrote:
                Oh. Ok... and the same goes on other non-oppositions situations? I wonder something like: Its critical for a character to reach a place in time. I described the city as a weird maze and i decide to use it, lets say, telling him to re-roll (is it possoble?). Do i give him Fate points?

                The character wants to navigate through the city in a short period of time, possibly trying to make a deadline. The GM establishes a starting point on the time track based on his understanding of the difficulty and the skill used (say the player wants to use Athletics to run it). You decide that an Atheltics-0 character could run through the shortest path in "a few hours"/

                The character has Athletics-2 and rolls +--b for -1. That's 1 shift, so it would take him an hour. You invoke "A weird maze" and knock two shifts off and pay the player a fate point (you are tagging an Aspect to his detriment). Now he has -1 shift, so he's looking at an afternoon running through the complicated maze. He tags his own "Keen sense of direction" and pays back the fate point, getting it back to one shift and makes the run in an hour, initially confused but relying on his animal sense of direction as he runs at top speed through the twisting alleyways of the city, arriving (let's say) just in time!

                That's what I would do. I can't recall off hand just how "fate-legal" it is, but that's how I'd wing it at the table.

                --
                Brad Murray (halfjack)
                VSCA Publishing
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Hmmm... Interesting. Really thank you for the example. I am running the campaingn on FATE2 core rules, so we dont use the "fate pool" and players dont have to spend fate points to use their aspects... anyway, the example works fine.

                  As i am a Gurps-wise guy, i tend to look over skills, but i am doing an exercise to break free from skills and look over aspects and see how i may take advantage of them in my narrative. Thats whats making me a little bit confuse sometime. But your post was great and enlighted me a little more.

                  --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

                  > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Orion <deckrect@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Oh. Ok... and the same goes on other non-oppositions situations? I wonder
                  > > something like: Its critical for a character to reach a place in time. I
                  > > described the city as a weird maze and i decide to use it, lets say, telling
                  > > him to re-roll (is it possoble?). Do i give him Fate points?
                  > >

                  > The character wants to navigate through the city in a short period of time,
                  > possibly trying to make a deadline. The GM establishes a starting point on
                  > the time track based on his understanding of the difficulty and the skill
                  > used (say the player wants to use Athletics to run it). You decide that an
                  > Atheltics-0 character could run through the shortest path in "a few hours"/
                  >
                  > The character has Athletics-2 and rolls +--b for -1. That's 1 shift, so it
                  > would take him an hour. You invoke "A weird maze" and knock two shifts off
                  > and pay the player a fate point (you are tagging an Aspect to his
                  > detriment). Now he has -1 shift, so he's looking at an afternoon running
                  > through the complicated maze. He tags his own "Keen sense of direction" and
                  > pays back the fate point, getting it back to one shift and makes the run in
                  > an hour, initially confused but relying on his animal sense of direction as
                  > he runs at top speed through the twisting alleyways of the city, arriving
                  > (let's say) just in time!
                  >
                  > That's what I would do. I can't recall off hand just how "fate-legal" it is,
                  > but that's how I'd wing it at the table.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Brad Murray (halfjack)
                  > VSCA Publishing

                • danielpe
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2011
                    Sounds good :)

                    I only need to get some practice running FATE games, because I've never run any (nor played...). But I'm going to start right now (with the Mindjammer starting adventure).

                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Orion" <deckrect@...> wrote:

                    > I decided to move my Star Trek Campaingn from Gurps to Fate (yes... it makes very few sense... lol) and i have a few Fasa adventures i adapted for Gurps and now i am adapting it for FATE. To be honest, all you need is to get the general story, the mood of each encounter and sometimes collect the hints abouit each encounter or situation. Its not a big deal. Using FATe, rarely you will find lots of work... except if you want to.
                    > I strongly recomment you get ANY adventire you like and use it on FATE.
                    >
                    > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "danielpe" <dperezesp@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks a lot, Orion.
                    > >
                    > > I also think that it's really possible to create FATE adventures that others can use. One can use the one-shot premise, or just look at the recent adventure published by Evil Hat, leaving undefined the aspects and adjusting some adventure hooks to the players. Or just use the approach that is employed in the Mindjammer adventures.
                    > >
                    > > I honestly think that for a RPG system to be broadly accepted and used, it needs adventures that support it. At least is what I look for when I'm evaluating buying a new rpg book.
                    > >
                    > > Anyway, it's just my opinion :)
                    > >
                    > > Thanks again!
                    > >
                    > > BTW, could you please suggest some specific adventures from e23? I've taken a look at it but the catalogue is really big!
                    > >

                    > > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Orion" <deckrect@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Sorry for bring this topic back, but i took a lot of time to have a chance of sending a reply for this one.
                    > > >
                    > > > Yes, it is true that since the aspects may change, it would be complicated to create adventures for FATE. But its not impossible.
                    > > >
                    > > > For those who plays fantasy, i recommend check on Wizards of the Coast site for free adventures. Maybe you may use some.
                    > > >
                    > > > In general, E23 from Steve Jackson Games and Three Foutheen Games have lots of adventures without system. You jut read it, organize it and prepare it for your game system. They have many interesting products over e23 and some are supplement without a given system to organize worlds and campaings or create characters.
                    > > >
                    > > > I am using some and they are really good. Those who are curious may find it worthy!

                  • stanshinn
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6, 2011
                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Grant Erswell <grant_erswell@...> wrote:
                      > Do you know what I would like to see? A Living Spirit of the
                      > Century set of scenarios that can be run at cons etc and people
                      > bring their own characters.

                      Grant, I'm gearing up for a contest to entice people to produce exactly what you describe.

                      I'd love to get feedback from the community -- I've created a sample adventure, and I'd like to know what you think about this format. You can go here and download "The Russian Deception."

                      http://roguecomet.com/blog/free-fate-scenario-the-russian-deception/

                      It is a free scenario with a two-page format that will fit on one front-and-back sheet. A third page is an optional handout for your players. Eventually I'll add a printer-friendly version (maybe in landscape format).

                      While a veteran GM might not need the Skill obstacles, I think new FATE GMs would benefit from these samples to help with running the scenes.

                      If I get positive feedback, my idea is to sponsor a contest (perhaps on a quarterly basis) with a cash prize. The award winning scenarios I'd post online and sell for $1.99 apiece. I'd probably break even at best, but the community (and the FATE family of systems) would benefit from dozens of high-quality adventure modules.

                      Download it and let me know what you think about this sort of FATE adventure module format.

                      -- Stan
                      RogueComet.com

                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Grant Erswell <grant_erswell@...> wrote:

                      > Do you know what I would like to see? A Living Spirit of the Century set of scenarios that can be run at cons etc and people bring their own characters.
                      >
                      > The Century club gives a reason for disparate characters to work together and statting up "encounters" should be fairly easy.
                      >
                      > Scenarios should be short enough to be played in a 4 hour slot and ideally follow the 1 sheet format that Savage Worlds uses, or at least no more than 2 sheets (4 pages) so that they can be fairly easily written and proof read, and also easily prepped for running at short notice.
                      >
                      > If not SotC, perhaps a Living Starblazer Adventures with the PCs as members of an intergalactic law enforcement agency.
                      >
                      > However I feel SotC may work better as pulp scenarios are fairly basic, its a genre familiar to most, and also there is no living pulp game going that I am aware of (fantasy is covered by Living Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder Society and Mongoose Living Glorantha and Sci Fi is covered by Mongoose Living Traveller).
                      >
                      > Just an idea!
                    • david mcbirde
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011

                        The scenario is pretty cool. What rpg setting did you design it for? It doesn’t sound like it is from the Dresden files or Spirit of the century.

                        I know you don’t have any in this format. The contest is a cool idea. I run a Special ops type game and the idea presented in Russian deception would fit my game without too many tweaks. Do you have any more scenarios? Or missions like this one?

                        Jyst

                        > Do you know what I would like to see? A Living Spirit of the
                        > Century set of scenarios that can be run at cons etc and people
                        > bring their own characters.

                        Grant, I'm gearing up for a contest to entice people to produce exactly what you describe.

                        I'd love to get feedback from the community -- I've created a sample adventure, and I'd like to know what you think about this format. You can go here and download "The Russian Deception."

                        http://roguecomet.com/blog/free-fate-scenario-the-russian-deception/

                        It is a free scenario with a two-page format that will fit on one front-and-back sheet. A third page is an optional handout for your players. Eventually I'll add a printer-friendly version (maybe in landscape format).

                        While a veteran GM might not need the Skill obstacles, I think new FATE GMs would benefit from these samples to help with running the scenes.

                        If I get positive feedback, my idea is to sponsor a contest (perhaps on a quarterly basis) with a cash prize. The award winning scenarios I'd post online and sell for $1.99 apiece. I'd probably break even at best, but the community (and the FATE family of systems) would benefit from dozens of high-quality adventure modules.

                        Download it and let me know what you think about this sort of FATE adventure module format.

                        -- Stan
                        RogueComet.com

                        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Grant Erswell <grant_erswell@...> wrote:

                        > Do you know what I would like to see? A Living Spirit of the Century set of scenarios that can be run at cons etc and people bring their own characters.
                        >
                        > The Century club gives a reason for disparate characters to work together and statting up "encounters" should be fairly easy.
                        >
                        > Scenarios should be short enough to be played in a 4 hour slot and ideally follow the 1 sheet format that Savage Worlds uses, or at least no more than 2 sheets (4 pages) so that they can be fairly easily written and proof read, and also easily prepped for running at short notice.
                        >
                        > If not SotC, perhaps a Living Starblazer Adventures with the PCs as members of an intergalactic law enforcement agency.
                        >
                        > However I feel SotC may work better as pulp scenarios are fairly basic, its a genre familiar to most, and also there is no living pulp game going that I am aware of (fantasy is covered by Living Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder Society and Mongoose Living Glorantha and Sci Fi is covered by Mongoose Living Traveller).
                        >
                        > Just an idea!

                      • stanshinn
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011
                          Hi Jyst,

                          The setting is mainly for a one-shot scenario in a Mission Impossible, modern day type setting (but could be adapted easily for other eras -- just replace the North Koreans and Iranians with whatever Axis of Evil bad guys are appropriate).

                          I have some other unpublished scenarios, but not of the Mission Impossible / modern-day rescue mission flavor.

                          What did you think of the setting format? In particular, I wonder if folks would like to have the sample Skill difficulties. Perhaps a more seasoned FATE GM doesn't need them, but I think for the newer GMs (and maybe some seasoned GMs?) having the sample skills with difficulties might be a good tool to have for any given scene.

                          (As a reminder, we're talking about the free FATE adventure I published here: http://roguecomet.com/blog/free-fate-scenario-the-russian-deception )

                          What I'm hoping is that there's lot's of folks with home-brewed scenarios they've run who'd be interested in a contest. All they'd have to do is type up the 1-2 page scenario in a standard format, and if they win, I could make it look pretty and publish it. I'd really love to see a large set of ready-made scenarios to run for cons or home games which only cost $1.99. But is there a demand for this? Hmmm.

                          -- Stan

                          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, david mcbirde <jystdave@...> wrote:

                          > The scenario is pretty cool. What rpg setting did you design it for? It doesn’t
                          > sound like it is from the Dresden files or Spirit of the century.
                          > I know you don’t have any in this format. The contest is a cool idea. I run a
                          > Special ops type game and the idea presented in Russian deception would fit my
                          > game without too many tweaks. Do you have any more scenarios? Or missions like
                          > this one?
                          > Jyst
                        • Thorin
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011
                            Hey Stan,

                            I really liked that scenario!

                            One thing that I would personally add is a synopsis of critical "to
                            share" information to the Introduction section -- for those of us that
                            don't like to "read" intros to our players.

                            This type of thing has been talked about, but I can't find the source at
                            the moment, figures right :)
                          • david mcbirde
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011
                              I liked the layout. I would be the "new to fate" type GM. I have been GMing for years but I just got The Dresden Files for x-mas :) That being said even though I haven't ran anything yet I thought the format was clear and concise and I can imagine it to be useful.

                              I have been thinking that the Dresden rules would make a good modern action game. Since the Dresden Files is exactly that. Urban fantasy action.

                              Jystdave

                              The setting is mainly for a one-shot scenario in a Mission Impossible, modern day type setting (but could be adapted easily for other eras -- just replace the North Koreans and Iranians with whatever Axis of Evil bad guys are appropriate).

                              I have some other unpublished scenarios, but not of the Mission Impossible / modern-day rescue mission flavor.

                              What did you think of the setting format? In particular, I wonder if folks would like to have the sample Skill difficulties. Perhaps a more seasoned FATE GM doesn't need them, but I think for the newer GMs (and maybe some seasoned GMs?) having the sample skills with difficulties might be a good tool to have for any given scene.

                              (As a reminder, we're talking about the free FATE adventure I published here: http://roguecomet.com/blog/free-fate-scenario-the-russian-deception )

                              What I'm hoping is that there's lot's of folks with home-brewed scenarios they've run who'd be interested in a contest. All they'd have to do is type up the 1-2 page scenario in a standard format, and if they win, I could make it look pretty and publish it. I'd really love to see a large set of ready-made scenarios to run for cons or home games which only cost $1.99. But is there a demand for this? Hmmm.

                              -- Stan

                              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, david mcbirde <jystdave@...> wrote:

                              > The scenario is pretty cool. What rpg setting did you design it for? It doesn’t
                              > sound like it is from the Dresden files or Spirit of the century.
                              > I know you don’t have any in this format. The contest is a cool idea. I run a
                              > Special ops type game and the idea presented in Russian deception would fit my
                              > game without too many tweaks. Do you have any more scenarios? Or missions like
                              > this one?
                              > Jyst

                            • stanshinn
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011
                                Thanks Jystdave!

                                I would probably also create a printer-friendly version without the background (and maybe have it be landscape format) in addition to the color version once I commercialize the adventures.