Alternate Earths/Time Travel (was Re: Equipment and Weight Aspects)

  • andrew968859
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2011
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Anderson <bruce.germund@...> wrote:

      > While my dimension hopping homeschool game got a little out of hand, I still
      > would like to try a time travel/alternate earths game. The one hurdle that
      > makes me hesitate to try it again is that it seems like it would take an
      > awful lot of work to be constantly generating new time lines and worlds.
      > How do you guys handle this? Also, what is the premise you use to keep
      > them jumping around between realities? When I think of this, I think of the
      > TV show Sliders, and to me that show seemed like a world of the week type of
      > show with very little continuity.
      >
      > Bruce

      I ran a game like this for some years. The basic premise was that the players were part of an organisation employed by an advanced society in one of Earth's future timelines, which wanted to protect its own existence. There were other time-travelling organisations around from other timelines which had their own objectives - and im some cases, completely different underlying theories as to how time travel works and how you change things.

      This meant that a common scenario was to send them back to an interesting period of Earth's history where a potential change had been detected and have them try to work out who the opposing agents were and what they thought they were doing.

      Like a the game described in another post, this automatically deters the players from making their own changes in history.

      Andrew
    • Carl Brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2011
        That last is pretty much how our GURPS time travel campiagn has been working for over a year of forthnightly games. It seems to work well.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2011
          see below...
          >> While my dimension hopping homeschool game got a little out of hand, I still
          >> would like to try a time travel/alternate earths game. The one hurdle that
          >> makes me hesitate to try it again is that it seems like it would take an
          >> awful lot of work to be constantly generating new time lines and worlds.
          >> How do you guys handle this? Also, what is the premise you use to keep
          >> them jumping around between realities? When I think of this, I think of the
          >> TV show Sliders, and to me that show seemed like a world of the week type of
          >> show with very little continuity.
          >>
          >> Bruce
          >
          >I ran a game like this for some years. The basic premise was that the players
          >were part of an organisation employed by an advanced society in one of Earth's
          >future timelines, which wanted to protect its own existence. There were other
          >time-travelling organisations around from other timelines which had their own
          >objectives - and im some cases, completely different underlying theories as to
          >how time travel works and how you change things.
          >
          >This meant that a common scenario was to send them back to an interesting period
          >of Earth's history where a potential change had been detected and have them try
          >to work out who the opposing agents were and what they thought they were doing.
          >
          >Like a the game described in another post, this automatically deters the players
          >from making their own changes in history.
          >
          >Andrew
          Yep that's how many of our time travel adventures play out but not all.
          Time travel is tricky. In our games you can do some of the time travelling tricks but not all. I even write games where there are problems that can olny be solved by using a time machine. (Eg. I had a 7.2kiloton bomb from the future suddenly appear in the middle of Peenemunde 1942, I'm a bad man).
          OK. so a time travel game can be done. But it can be a hard road especially since we have three alternating referees. At the start of the campaign we spent two sessions figuring out the limitations of our time travel technology, another session getting our hometime history to 2092CE(AD) sorted and yet another in character creation.
          Yes it can be a hard road.

          Care2 makes it easy for everyone to live a healthy, green lifestyle and impact the causes you care about most. Over 12 Million members! http://www.care2.com

          Feed a child by searching the web! Learn how http://www.care2.com/toolbar

        • bachelornewtling
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 23, 2011
            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "moonhunter_88" <moonhunter88@...> wrote:

            > I really would avoid time travel. The causality, butterfly effects, and paradoxes, are not worth the hassle. You might think it is fun until your players start playing "time tricks" getting things "to arrive" because "tommorow I will remind myself to go back further in time and bury a gun in a plastic bag right here."

            If you are going to consider time travel at all, get a copy of continuum and look at how they do things. PC's are basically newly recruited time police, first getting used to their powers and a limit of 3 days travel from a time, then having to fix problems in their local time, keeping a diary of their travels in case they inadvertently stuff something up and have to fix it before reality unravels. Quite a good treatise on time travel really.

            Pete