Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Ranged Combat in FATE

Expand Messages
  • Kevin
    How do people handle ranged combat in FATE? I m going to run a classic fantasy w/ FATE, but I need some guidance on archery used in combat. An attacker uses
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      How do people handle ranged combat in FATE?

      I'm going to run a classic fantasy w/ FATE, but I need some guidance on archery used in combat.

      An attacker uses Bow (or whatever), against a defenders Athletics (or whatever). Is it that simple? I mean, what happens if the defender wins by a lot, nothing?

      Maybe I'm over thinking this. Give me your thoughts anyways :)
    • Jeff Johnston
      I d say if the defender wins by a lot (3 shifts) they should get spin. On two occasions I have been asked, – Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        I'd say if the defender wins by a lot (3 shifts) they should get spin.

        "On two occasions I have been asked, – 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?'...I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

        On Jan 4, 2011, at 3:18 PM, "Kevin" <kevlar1818@...> wrote:

        > How do people handle ranged combat in FATE?
        >
        > I'm going to run a classic fantasy w/ FATE, but I need some guidance on archery used in combat.
        >
        > An attacker uses Bow (or whatever), against a defenders Athletics (or whatever). Is it that simple? I mean, what happens if the defender wins by a lot, nothing?
        >
        > Maybe I'm over thinking this. Give me your thoughts anyways :)
        >
        >
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > | Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
        > | SOTC * http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
        > | DFRPG * http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
      • Mike Conway
        ... Heck yeah! If they win by one shift, it wizzes by their ear. Two shifts, bullet time (arrow time?). Three shifts, here s a spin for ya: the character
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Jeff Johnston <jeffj@...> wrote:
            I'd say if the defender wins by a lot (3 shifts) they should get spin.

          Heck yeah! If they win by one shift, it wizzes by their ear. Two shifts, bullet time (arrow time?). Three shifts, here's a spin for ya: the character catches the arrow!

          Mike Conway
          --
          Official Heroes of Oz site: http://www.ozrpg.com
          Darkstar Eclectic Media - The Story Matters - http://www.dsemedia.com

        • Terry Stubbs
          I agree, to me the difference in shifts allows for extreme special effect storytelling... but otherwise it s just hit and miss... not like Fate has a hit
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            I agree, to me the difference in shifts allows for extreme special effect storytelling... but otherwise it's just hit and miss... not like Fate has a hit location table or anything like most of the older systems had.

            Terry

            On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Mike Conway <Mike@...> wrote:
             

            On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Jeff Johnston <jeffj@...> wrote:
              I'd say if the defender wins by a lot (3 shifts) they should get spin.

            Heck yeah! If they win by one shift, it wizzes by their ear. Two shifts, bullet time (arrow time?). Three shifts, here's a spin for ya: the character catches the arrow!

            Mike Conway
            --
            Official Heroes of Oz site: http://www.ozrpg.com
            Darkstar Eclectic Media - The Story Matters - http://www.dsemedia.com


          • Hollis McCray
            ... To me, one of the biggest attractions of Fate is the built-in capacity for player control of the story. I ve noticed that players are more involved the
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Terry Stubbs <jedrakrenz@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              >
              > I agree, to me the difference in shifts allows for extreme special effect storytelling... but otherwise it's just hit and miss... not like Fate has a hit location table or anything like most of the older systems had.
              >
              To me, one of the biggest attractions of Fate is the built-in capacity
              for player control of the story. I've noticed that players are more
              involved the more control over the story I give them.
              --
              Hollis McCray
              aka The Fifth Wanderer

              ascensionschild@...

              "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
              LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.