Re: [FateRPG] Are Physical Aspects A Good Thing?

  • Brett Ritter
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
      On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM, stanshinn <stan@...> wrote:
      > I've seen people use physical aspects for weapons (e.g. "Silver Six-Shooter", "Singing Sword", etc.). This can be very powerful as with every physical combat
      > you've got a handy excuse to invoke an aspect. But is this too powerful? Seems like everyone would want a weapon or some physical item they carry be one of their aspects.
      >
      > Rather than forbid this, my thought would be to point this out to newbies as a best practice when choosing their aspects.

      Whatever is fun in your game is good.

      ...but my (admittedly limited) experiences say that this is not a
      "best practice" unless the item is key to the character. Green
      Lantern has "Green Power Ring", that's good. Elric can have (name of
      soul sucking sword here). Conan doesn't have "Big A** Bastard
      Sword", because that's not part of his character, being a Swordsman
      (or Barbarian) is.

      If the item isn't _defining_ for you, I'd say you're better off using
      the Aspect to describe the character. Describing yourself as someone
      that uses a CLASS of item gives you even better stat benefits as well
      as giving a spot for character development and growth. So I'd counter
      your "Silver Six-Shooter" and "Singing Sword" with "Fastest Gun this
      side of the Rio Grande" and "Bearer of a Sacred Blade" (for example).

      How "Interesting" is the aspect? Can you think of how it could come
      up in non-combat situations? There are lots of good Aspects, but the
      best ones are the ones that you eagerly hope to have used against as
      much as for you.

      All in my not humble-enough opinion, of course.

      --
      Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
      swiftone@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
        "... a handy excuse to invoke an aspect."
        It's being used a lot and maybe frivolously?

        The phases are to give back story and create context for the aspects
        that they give, so should be guides in how those aspects are used.

        A Singing sword does what that's overpowered? In Prince Valiant, it
        identifies its wielder as being ... well, valiant. It was later
        discovered to be the Sister Blade of Excalibur, but that's just another
        +2 to a roll or cool addition to the story per FATE pt.

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "stanshinn" <stan@...> wrote:

        > I've seen people use physical aspects for weapons (e.g. "Silver
        Six-Shooter", "Singing Sword", etc.). This can be very powerful as with
        every physical combat you've got a handy excuse to invoke an aspect. But
        is this too powerful? Seems like everyone would want a weapon or some
        physical item they carry be one of their aspects.

        > Rather than forbid this, my thought would be to point this out to
        newbies as a best practice when choosing their aspects.

        > Thoughts?
        >
        > — Stan

      • Lisa Steele
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
          Remember that aspects should be compellable as well -- my nosy reporter PC in SotC has "my trusty leica" as an aspect -- I've used it to improve Artist rolls, Investigation rolls, and even for the occassional attack with the flash. One of the rotating GMs tried to compel it with a bad guy who tried to snatch it forcing my PC to react to protect it. And certainly is compel-able to get the reporter to try to sneak it into places or get pictures when, perhaps running would be a better idea.

          Another PC has a custom dueling pistol as an aspect. It has been invoked at times for improved shooting. Hasn't been compelled yet, but I have some ideas I didn't get to use when last GMing that I'm saving for the next adventure. (I've got PCs who read this list....)

          Aspect items can be threatened, stolen, used to ID (or mis-ID) the hero, discovered at inopportune times, etc.