Dark Sun Defiling Mechanism

  • yog_slogoth
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
      Hi,

      I have been a great fan of the Dark Sun campaign setting from the beginning in the 90's, and with the newest version out I could convince my players to give it a try. Since we had a very good Diaspora campaign I thought of using Fate as the system to play with, especially Legends of Anglerre. From what I read it gives you a toolbox for creating campaign worlds, so it should be able to work. The biggest problem I came to think of: Is there a chance to emulate Defiling in a proper way? Does anybody know or have an idea?

      Thanks in Advance
    • Emmanuel Kanter
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
        how does it work in the original? I have a dark sun 1st edition ad&d box, but it might have changed to second edition, I don't know... I don't remember the original rules.

        Do they change in 4E?

        Emi

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
          Give locations stress boxes based on how lush/alive/pure it is. Magic
          inflicts stress on the location; when consequences happen, they don't
          go away, and the land is corrupted; if taken out, the entirety of it
          goes the way of wasteland.

          On Thursday, September 2, 2010, yog_slogoth <yog_slogoth@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have been a great fan of the Dark Sun campaign setting from the beginning in the 90's, and with the newest version out I could convince my players to give it a try. Since we had a very good Diaspora campaign I thought of using Fate as the system to play with, especially Legends of Anglerre. From what I read it gives you a toolbox for creating campaign worlds, so it should be able to work. The biggest problem I came to think of: Is there a chance to emulate Defiling in a proper way? Does anybody know or have an idea?
          >
          > Thanks in Advance

          Fred Hicks
          Evil Hat Productions, LLC
          www.evilhat.com
        • Renato
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
            On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
            > Give locations stress boxes based on how lush/alive/pure it is. Magic
            > inflicts stress on the location; when consequences happen, they don't
            > go away, and the land is corrupted; if taken out, the entirety of it
            > goes the way of wasteland.

            Also, allow Nature (or similar) Assessment rolls to "read" the local
            Defilement stress track value when there are no visible Consequences
            yet.

            This should add some spice even for careful defilers (and Preservers,
            I guess) since they could be found even if not going blatant?

            What do you think?

            --
            Renato Ramonda
            -------------------------------
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
              Uhh it was broken! The Defiler-class needed less xp to level-up then the preserver-class. The spells killed plant-life around the defiler in a radius depending on the level of the spell and the fertility around him.

              Im not really in the new edition mechanics, but from what I have read preserver and defiler are no longer different classes (what makes perfectly sense). Every mage has the possibilty to defile, and when you do can reroll an attack or add extra damage.

              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Emmanuel Kanter <emi.kanter@...> wrote:

              > how does it work in the original? I have a dark sun 1st edition ad&d box,
              > but it might have changed to second edition, I don't know... I don't
              > remember the original rules.
              >
              > Do they change in 4E?
              >
              > Emi
              >
              > On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:07 AM, yog_slogoth <yog_slogoth@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I have been a great fan of the Dark Sun campaign setting from the beginning
              > > in the 90's, and with the newest version out I could convince my players to
              > > give it a try. Since we had a very good Diaspora campaign I thought of using
              > > Fate as the system to play with, especially Legends of Anglerre. From what I
              > > read it gives you a toolbox for creating campaign worlds, so it should be
              > > able to work. The biggest problem I came to think of: Is there a chance to
              > > emulate Defiling in a proper way? Does anybody know or have an idea?
              > >
              > > Thanks in Advance

            • Jan Willms
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                Hmmmm. I echo the Stress Track idea, but I wonder if Defiling, being
                such a huge and central theme to Dark Sun, doesn't warrant its very
                own Track. Let's call it Essence.

                Locations and characters all have Essence tracks. Now, Defilers draw
                their power from the surroundings in a somewhat similar way to how
                DFRPG's practitioners draw theirs from themselves. Preservers, on the
                other hand, have only their own track to draw from, but unlike the
                world, their tracks clear -- perhaps similar to the Wealth track in
                Diaspora, which only clears when you spend a set amount of time
                without taking another hit to it.

                The Sorcerer-Kings and powerful Templars might have Stunts that allow
                them to tap the Essence of other beings in addition to the
                surroundings, turning whole congregations of sacrificial slaves to ash
                and salt...

                Jan
              • yog_slogoth
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                  I really like the idea of stress-levels for a site, and yes there should be a way to read the level of defilement apart from the obvious. I think Nature is a good idea or maybe its an occupation-specific stunt for druids. Hmm, but right now I think Nature is better suited.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                    It doesnt sound bad, but I dont know magic in DFRPG works. Could you give a short explanations about this "tapping the Essence"?

                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Willms <isenhertz@...> wrote:

                    > Hmmmm. I echo the Stress Track idea, but I wonder if Defiling, being
                    > such a huge and central theme to Dark Sun, doesn't warrant its very
                    > own Track. Let's call it Essence.
                    >
                    > Locations and characters all have Essence tracks. Now, Defilers draw
                    > their power from the surroundings in a somewhat similar way to how
                    > DFRPG's practitioners draw theirs from themselves. Preservers, on the
                    > other hand, have only their own track to draw from, but unlike the
                    > world, their tracks clear -- perhaps similar to the Wealth track in
                    > Diaspora, which only clears when you spend a set amount of time
                    > without taking another hit to it.
                    >
                    > The Sorcerer-Kings and powerful Templars might have Stunts that allow
                    > them to tap the Essence of other beings in addition to the
                    > surroundings, turning whole congregations of sacrificial slaves to ash
                    > and salt...
                    >
                    > Jan

                  • Travis Heldibridle
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                       I'd be quick to jump on the extra stress track, but be careful it doesn't add a lot of book keeping. I'd have site stress reset after each scene so that, if you tend to reuse locations, you won't have to have a running total of stress for several locations. Basically: Nature bounces back quickly unless it is taken out in the course of a scene. If that happens the location is changed dramatically in some way from that point on to reflect it's corrupt nature.

                      Additionally...

                      (I think) Defiler magic should be the standard. Preserver magic should be the result of a stunt that allows the mage to cast without the negative effects of defiler magic. Defiling is the easy path. One must commit to the path of the preserver.

                      I'd probably apply a blanket -2 to magic rolls that occur in corrupted zones, and maybe include a stunt that allows a defiler to avoid corrupting the earth (or avoid the -2 penalty for casting in a corrupted zone) by drawing on the life force of creatures around them. Everyone near the caster, friend or foe, would take a single hit of stress from spells the defiler casts using this stunt.
                      The rest I'd handle in the narrative.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                        On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 16:32, yog_slogoth <yog_slogoth@...> wrote:
                        > It doesnt sound bad, but I dont know magic in DFRPG works. Could you give a short explanations about this "tapping the Essence"?

                        Okay, I'll try to sum it up (the usual suspects can fill in for things
                        I miss or get wrong):

                        In DFRPG, there are three skills that govern spellcasting: Lore
                        (representing knowledge of the arcane), Conviction (how much force a
                        practitioner brings to the table), and Discipline (how much control
                        the practitioner has over said force).

                        When casting a spell, you decide the power of the spell by determining
                        how many Shifts to pour into it. Since magic in DFRPG comes from
                        within the caster (barring special cases), you take Mental Stress for
                        casting: 1 point if the spell's power level is >= your Conviction,
                        with 1 extra point per Shift above that. (So a spellcaster with a
                        Conviction of Great +3 takes one point of Mental Stress for a spell
                        with a power level of 3, but 2 for a level 4 spell, 3 for level 5, and
                        so on.) You can cast way above your weight class if you're prepared to
                        suffer for it (taking consequences), and if you can't control the
                        spell (rolling Discipline against the spell's intended level) you risk
                        backlash (additional Physical damage) or fallout (spellpower bleeding
                        into the environment, causing havoc -- also a good source of
                        Defilement).

                        Jan
                      • Jan Willms
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                          > within the caster (barring special cases), you take Mental Stress for
                          > casting: 1 point if the spell's power level is >= your Conviction,
                          > with 1 extra point per Shift above that. (So a spellcaster with a

                          Yeah, it's been a long time since my last math class.

                          I meant "spell power level [less or equal to] your Conviction".

                          Sorry for the confusion.

                          Jan
                        • Brian Sniffen
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                            Give defilers free tags on those consequences and Defilers will be
                            something to fear!

                            --
                            Brian Sniffen

                          • chris@zerneeak.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                              In 4th ed Defiling is now a free At-Will power for everyone who uses the arcane power source. When you roll to hit with an arcane power and miss you have the option to use the defile power which allows you to re-roll. If you do this it does x (can't remember what x is) amount of damage to everyone within 5 squares of you.

                              I thought this was a great way to represent defiling in 4e. In Fate I would use the Sponsored Magic rules from Dresden. Essentially their is an aspect called Defiling that all spellcasters have access to. They can tag this aspect anytime they want but each they do they get a defiling token. The GM has an option to compel those tokens without awarding fate points.

                              You might add the option that those defiling tokens could be used for other things like giving another character a minor consequence or putting a new aspect on the scene.

                              ------------------------------------
                              friends don't let friends use IE6 Upgrade IE8 : Switch FF3
                              Chris Czerniak

                              On Thu Sep 2 6:38 , Emmanuel Kanter sent:

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                                Sounds like a clean and easy idea!

                                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brian Sniffen <bts@...> wrote:

                                > Give defilers free tags on those consequences and Defilers will be
                                > something to fear!
                                >
                                > --
                                > Brian Sniffen
                                >
                                > On Sep 2, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Give locations stress boxes based on how lush/alive/pure it is. Magic
                                > > inflicts stress on the location; when consequences happen, they don't
                                > > go away, and the land is corrupted; if taken out, the entirety of it
                                > > goes the way of wasteland.
                                > >
                                > > On Thursday, September 2, 2010, yog_slogoth <yog_slogoth@...> wrote:
                                > >> Hi,
                                > >>
                                > >> I have been a great fan of the Dark Sun campaign setting from the beginning in the 90's, and with the newest version out I could convince my players to give it a try. Since we had a very good Diaspora campaign I thought of using Fate as the system to play with, especially Legends of Anglerre. From what I read it gives you a toolbox for creating campaign worlds, so it should be able to work. The biggest problem I came to think of: Is there a chance to emulate Defiling in a proper way? Does anybody know or have an idea?
                                > >>
                                > >> Thanks in Advance

                                > > --
                                > > Fred Hicks
                                > > Evil Hat Productions, LLC
                                > > www.evilhat.com

                              • yog_slogoth
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                                  This is very similar to Brians idea and i must say, I like it.
                                • yog_slogoth
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                                    Sounds like a good idea, but in the moment I'd prefer the idea of giving every mage the possibility to invoke the aspect "Defiling". Mechanical sligthly clearer in my eyes.

                                    Maybe I will add a stunt like "Master Defiler", which allows to draw the energy for a spell not only from plants, but this would make more complicated...

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 3, 2010
                                      Reading that again, this sounds to me like a good mechanism for Psionics...

                                      But I think it is easier to grasp if just give them the Domination, Alertness and Telekinsis Power Skills, because we have two players new to Fate.

                                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Willms <isenhertz@...> wrote:

                                      > On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 16:32, yog_slogoth <yog_slogoth@...> wrote:
                                      > > It doesnt sound bad, but I dont know magic in DFRPG works. Could you give a short explanations about this "tapping the Essence"?
                                      >
                                      > Okay, I'll try to sum it up (the usual suspects can fill in for things
                                      > I miss or get wrong):
                                      >
                                      > In DFRPG, there are three skills that govern spellcasting: Lore
                                      > (representing knowledge of the arcane), Conviction (how much force a
                                      > practitioner brings to the table), and Discipline (how much control
                                      > the practitioner has over said force).
                                      >
                                      > When casting a spell, you decide the power of the spell by determining
                                      > how many Shifts to pour into it. Since magic in DFRPG comes from
                                      > within the caster (barring special cases), you take Mental Stress for
                                      > casting: 1 point if the spell's power level is >= your Conviction,
                                      > with 1 extra point per Shift above that. (So a spellcaster with a
                                      > Conviction of Great +3 takes one point of Mental Stress for a spell
                                      > with a power level of 3, but 2 for a level 4 spell, 3 for level 5, and
                                      > so on.) You can cast way above your weight class if you're prepared to
                                      > suffer for it (taking consequences), and if you can't control the
                                      > spell (rolling Discipline against the spell's intended level) you risk
                                      > backlash (additional Physical damage) or fallout (spellpower bleeding
                                      > into the environment, causing havoc -- also a good source of
                                      > Defilement).
                                      >
                                      > Jan

                                    • Antti Kautiainen
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
                                        Use the Dresden mecahnics of Power Gathering, but instead of having limit of
                                        energy

                                        coming skill causing mental stress on character, each level/shift of effect
                                        drains life force
                                        from the location, causing damage to plants and so forth. And the effect should
                                        splash

                                        over to neighboring areas / zones, if the ffect is high enough. The level of
                                        shifts is equal

                                        to stress damage done. The skill of energy gathering gathers energy from
                                        surroudnign area.
                                        The Preservers would use thier internal reservoir in addition to surrouding
                                        taking some of

                                        the stress as mental stress, but thus limiting the damage done to surroudnigns.
                                        I would
                                        use the Dresden mechanics on this - they can cast spells equal to the Discipline
                                        with only
                                        one level of stress to the surrounding area, and every shift above the
                                        Dsicipline skill would
                                        cause additional level of stress to surroudings - and to be preserver requires
                                        you take

                                        Preserver Stunt of Discipline allowing energy gathering without consuming
                                        energy. I would
                                        force Preserver to take the same stress as the surrouding area takes as Mental
                                        stress.

                                        Thus Defilers would have lots more power to use - but their energy use has
                                        consequence
                                        of killing plants. Preservers has to stress their own lifeforce in order to
                                        control teh flow of

                                        energy.

                                        The Clerics of Athas should use just Mental Stress for spellcastign like
                                        Presrevers does -

                                        but they would never damage surroundings, but require theri own element in order
                                        to cast
                                        spells at all.

                                        Yours Katusu

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
                                          As I said in my post, it is better to have Preserver as stunt of the energy
                                          gathering skill - that

                                          is way better description of the Arcane magic difference of Preserver and
                                          Defiler. 1st Edition
                                          did botch a lot in Athas, as it created two different classes for Definer and
                                          Preserver - in 3rd
                                          Edition Preserver was a Feat.

                                          But the stress on location depending how much vegetation it has is the way to go
                                          - and naturally
                                          this track won't suddenly heal - it takes years to recover from damage done by
                                          defiling. Preserver
                                          uses his will to control the magic in fashion it drains as little energy from
                                          plants it can, and thus
                                          causes himself mental stress - in addition damaging surrounding less.

                                          Psionism is a bit more difficult, but taking it into account how Dark Sun is
                                          depicted in

                                          fiction, I would go with path making psionics least consuming of supernatural
                                          powers - and make
                                          psionics to use three skills - one for attack, one for defense, and one for
                                          focusing and activating
                                          powers - and the different styles of defense and offense should be stunts (or
                                          optional stunts) allwing
                                          psionic to take one attack power for each level of Psionic Attack he has, and
                                          one defense for each
                                          level of Psionic Defense. Psionic combat is naturally Mental Stress COnflict -
                                          and non-psionics have

                                          passive resistance but could not do anything but take damage in. I would say
                                          non-psioncs has
                                          their Conviction as automatic "threshold" defense - psionicist has to bypass it
                                          in order to create
                                          connection required for Psionic Combat.

                                          I would go with no sterss on psionci powers with shifts up to your Conviction /
                                          Psionic Control,

                                          and 1 stress for every two shifts above Conviction - but allowing Psionicist
                                          only to gather as much
                                          power per round he has Conviction - this would make powerful effects more time
                                          consuming. AFter
                                          energy is gathered, antoehr roll is made how well the energy is controlled and
                                          thus wehtehr the

                                          psionci can do what he wants. The psionci has to take shifts causing 1 mental
                                          damage shift for

                                          every level he fails to acquire on control. Gatherign psionic energy is easy -
                                          easy way to burn
                                          yourself as I think the Dark sun seems to indicate. Psionics may have their own
                                          sterss chart
                                          in additional to Mental Stress which they can take stress from psionci powers
                                          and damage.

                                          Yours Kautsu