Re: [FateRPG] Advancement Systems?

  • Seth Surber
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2010
      We are testing playing with an advancement system heavily borrowed from Solar System keys, and we were motivated to try this after reading Apocalypse world.  Here is a rough write up of what we playing with.

      Advancement

      At the beginning of each session the player may change one aspect, and swap one skill with and adjunct skill in the pyramid, this includes learning a new skill.  To learn a new skill, remove an average skill and replace it with the new one.

      For ever five experience points a player earns he gains one advancement.  Advancments are spent to improve or change your character, see below for suggested possible advancements.  If for some reason a player can no longer use an ability he bought with advancements he regains those advancements.  If there is a story reason a player may go into advancemetn debt, that is buy advancements for which he does not have enough advancements to purchase.  He must payoff his advancement debt before he can buy any other advancements, and to use any ability gained through advancement debt he must spend a fate point, until the debt is payed.

      Experienced is gained through the use of keys.  A key is a special skill or aspect that when used gives the player one experience point.  If the player is in an extended conflict only the first time the key is used counts for experience.  It is the players job to track and record his experience and advancements.  The player may spend his advancements at any time.  Players will begin the game with two keys, one aspect key and one skill key.  The player chooses what aspect is important to him, and will mark the apex of his skill pyramid as the skill key.  At the beginning of any session a player or GM can call for change of Keys, then all players will have to change their keys.  It is suggested they choose different keys then what were marked.  The player will choose an aspect that will be a key, and the player to his right will choose a skill from his list to be a key. The player will then assign any additional keys he may have.

      The GM may tag Places, Situations, NPCs or Conflicts as keys, this means when the players interact with the pre-pared material that GM has deiced was central to the story the players will also gain an experience point. Usually the Story Guide will keep his list of prepared Key Elements mostly hidden from the other players, although he might reveal some if he likes.

      If the player is compelled against his aspect key, and he rejects the compel, he may gain 5 experience if he decides it time to change that aspect.  This is completely optional and the player can opt to just take 1 experience and keep his aspect. This is a way to promote and encourage character growth and change.
      (e.g.  The player has the aspect "Greedy: would sell his own mom", he is compelled to take a large sum of money to turn in his friends.  The player pays a fate point to resist the compel, and is willing to say his player has learned the value of friendship. He then agrees to change that aspect in accordance to "Friends are a rare treasure", he will then gain 5 experience points, and choose which aspect will be his key.)
      cost 1 advancement
      • Add the next available skill slot to the skill pyramid, he then must shift his skill to add a new skill at the bottom.
      • Gain an additional aspect
      • Learn a new Stunt (players are encouraged to create their own stunts)
      • Equipment that has an effect (multiple effects may cost additional advancements)
      • Increase Refresh rate (+1)
      • Swap a skill in the pyramid
      • Set a permanent fact about the game world
        • Make an NPC that will be recurring and part of a story theme
        • Define Something important to the setting
        • This is a more powerful and furthor reaching then what you can do with a fate point, and should have far reaching story effect.

      cost 2 advancements
      • Gain a Side kick or Minions
      • An additional aspect can be marked as a key.
      • An additional skill can be marked as a key

      cost 3 advancements
      • Make an additional character to play (no more then two characters at once plus side kicks)
      • Retire the character (Player describes what happens to the character), then makes new character to play

      On Aug 31, 2010, at 11:07 PM, Aaron Stockser wrote:

      Actually advancement and "Campaign Power Levels" are covered pretty nicely in DFRPG and both Cubicle7 products (Starblazer and Legends of Anglerre). Both approaches are similar and either (or both!) methods are worth checking out.

      (I think C7's is a little closer to "traditional RPG" progression while DFRPG's is more fully integrated into the overall campaign and metastory, but both feature plenty of nice crunchy elements of advancement and strong campaign tie-in)

      On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Carl Ryll <carl.ryll@...> wrote:

      Hi Friends

      I am hoping the FATE literati can help suggest some ways to model advancement in a new hack of Diaspora I'll be running soon.

      I'll be dictating what setting we use (Mass Effect universe) and I'd really like to have the group start fresh out of the human alliance military academy-- basically old school "first level characters".

      I know FATE 2 had a couple of ways to do this, but has anyone developed other hacks that will work with a FATE 3 game? I know both SOTC and Diaspora are pretty committed to having the player characters start as masters of one skill, but for this military campaign I want to see a gradual progression that eventually gets us to the place where they have one skill at superb, and so on. Wasn't there some mention earlier of a skill pyramid versus a tower? Or something?

      Also, hadn't someone once advocated truncating character creation at one or two phases if you were going with this concept? Any concrete experiences on how that has worked out?

      I appreciate any help or advice you can give.

      Cheers!

      Carl

    • Antti Kautiainen
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
        >Also, hadn't someone once advocated truncating character creation at one or
        >two phases if you were going with t>his concept? Any concrete experiences on
        >how that has worked out?
        >

        >I appreciate any help or advice you can give.
        >

        >Cheers!
        >
        >Carl

        Do you want Mass Effect / CRPG advancement speed, which is highly cinematic, or
        more reasonable speed.

        First question: how good education does the Alliance Military Academy give? Is
        it officer school equivalent of university level degree, somethign akin to
        reserve officer school or nco school, or just a standard 12 month basic training

        plus specialization training?

        If it was real school for department heads and bridge crew (which is long way to

        go), I woudl say 4 to 5 phases out of which 3 are in the military school. And
        remember - captain should have 1 to 2 phases more than others beyond this -
        captains are never out of academy guys in real navies, as they need practical
        expreience. It is totally unreasoanble to have captains who are on same
        experience
        level as the other department heads or crew. Not that most gaming industry or
        dream for the teenagers televiesion and movie industry cares - I bet most
        script writers have no real contact with military life.

        Two phases only would indicate

        Yours Kautsu
      • Tobias Loehr
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
          What you really want is to just stop at the 3rd phase of character creation (don't do 4 and 5). Now I know that the Diaspora creation kind of needs all 5 phases but as someone stated previously, check out both Legends of Anglerre and Starblazer to see how it can be done.

          From personal experience of having characters all phases for a higher powered game to just three phases for a LoA game I can definately confirm that three phases creates interesting but limited characters that give the "1st level" feel you are looking for.

          As far as advancement goes, I don't think you really need to do much different (although I'm not familiar with Diaspora advancement rules and if they are different). One skill point at the start of each session does allow for steady growth, especially when starting with peak skill of +3. The only thing I can add here is to be sure to allow for fairly frequent milestones early on in the chronicle (every 2 to 3 sessions) to allow the characters to learn and grow. Of course, I say "early on" because I don't think you need to keep that pace up continuously.

          OGC

[...]

        • Travis Heldibridle

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
              For my loosely Fate '2.5'-based homebrew I give people free choice for
              their skill pyramid and aspects without the overhead of phased creation,
              and then award 1 experience point per trip. The EP can be used to buy a
              permanent skill level or like a Fate Point for aspect invocations and
              dice roll modifiers. While there are obvious long-term problems with an
              open-ended system like this, the skill pyramid structure mitigates them
              short term. This has worked well for 30+ trips/adventures (maybe 40
              sessions?) spread between a couple of overlapping playing groups.

              There are some strains showing in the experience/advancement system now
              though. When I set the advancement system up I didn't think I'd have
              problems at a point per adventure per player until around 50 sessions
              in. But I've allowed an EP for a game write-up too. My most frequent,
              pushy and rewarding player seized on this and so gets two points most
              trips - though I do get a steady stream of accounts, as intended. He is
              rather outstripping his companions, through his own diligence
              admittedly, in skills, aspects and still has an annoyingly large pool of
              ready experience points to hand for use as Fate Points, etc.

              In hindsight I should perhaps have given more experience per trip and
              made skills more expensive so the odd extra point floating about would
              not have so much effect. Of course, whether my player would have
              reported on events so assiduously for a proportionately lesser reward is
              open to speculation.

              Eventually I'll have to face the more fundamental problems of the
              open-endedness of the advancement system, but for now the old GM standby
              of bigger, better challenges is holding the line.

              --Pete

              Carl Ryll wrote, On 20100901 04:04:
              > Hi Friends
              >
              > I am hoping the FATE literati can help suggest some ways to model advancement in a new hack of Diaspora I'll be running soon.
              >
              > I'll be dictating what setting we use (Mass Effect universe) and I'd really like to have the group start fresh out of the human alliance military academy-- basically old school "first level characters".
              >
              > I know FATE 2 had a couple of ways to do this, but has anyone developed other hacks that will work with a FATE 3 game? I know both SOTC and Diaspora are pretty committed to having the player characters start as masters of one skill, but for this military campaign I want to see a gradual progression that eventually gets us to the place where they have one skill at superb, and so on. Wasn't there some mention earlier of a skill pyramid versus a tower? Or something?
              >
              > Also, hadn't someone once advocated truncating character creation at one or two phases if you were going with this concept? Any concrete experiences on how that has worked out?
              >
              > I appreciate any help or advice you can give.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > Carl

            • Antti Kautiainen
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
                I personally liked the fate/Dresden system without experience points.
                I have never loved that minmax minigame in RPGs. The refresh
                system does work very well - and allows more realistic character
                development and thus allowing more realistic ship crew in skills
                when game begins - that is why I am for more phases in character
                generation. I do not like the common ground of RPGs from farmer's
                son to king in a year. That is what most game systems do emulate.

                The skills in FATE are very braod, and steps between skills are big,
                thus I would go even with rule that 1 refresh improving skill a year
                baseline in realistic scifi setting, and using similar base line for
                post-academy phases in which you do spend most of the time working.
                The refreshes giving you new skills at +0 should be more common, and
                those are more realistic results of adventure - not a session. Character
                learns basics of something due stressful situation.

                On the academy phase, I would say the difference between military and
                civilian training is very simple - military has less options what he is
                doing while civilian has more outside electives due free time. Unfortunately
                most gamers have Hollywood vision of military which isn't good thing
                for hard scifi as opposed to space opear which is fantasy in space.

                I myself suggest system of character generation for scifi game:
                Phase 1: childhood, 1 aspect, 2 skills.
                Phase 2: adolescence, 1 aspect, 4 skills,
                Phase 3: educaton (4 years, 18 to 22): 2 aspects, 4 skills, 2 stunts
                - the occupation (actual training) of the character gives limitations to the
                skills
                - you can improve one occupational skill with 2 steps by spendign 2 points.
                - Ther emgiht be more stunts and less skills invovled - stunts represent
                specific training within skill and thus represents occupational skills better.
                - I would say 1 stunt is tied to both aspects.
                - Aspects has to be different.
                Phase 4 onward: Work (4 years a term): 1 aspect, 4 skills and/or stunts
                - the phase 4 onward might limit the amount of stunts to skill replacement
                to one per phase.

                Unlike in Diaspora, Miltiary training is aspect, not stunt. It is way better way
                to model it - as it is more access to weaponry training, access to miltiary
                discipline, than access to uber military equipment. And for military trained
                personel, both stunts and fields at phase 3 shoudl be miltiary. First aspect
                is miltary trainign and second aspect is your actual military field - like
                Military
                Police, Infantry, Antitank, Fighter Pilot, Naval Crew.

                The aspects on phase 3 onward should represent your "occupation" during
                that term. The Fate 2.0 levels on aspects are perfect to simulate your
                occupational
                knowledge - no need for bloody career skills. Your aspect determiens hwo
                good you are at your occupational field, and how much real experience you have
                doing that field jobs. And the Fate system way of invokign aspects really well
                simulates the big difference of actual experience and theory.

                Yours Kautsu

> [...]

                >like to have the group start fresh out of the human alliance military academy--
                >basically old school "first level characters".
                >
                > I know FATE 2 had a couple of ways to do this, but has anyone developed other
                >hacks that will work with a FATE 3 game? I know both SOTC and Diaspora are
                >pretty committed to having the player characters start as masters of one skill,
                >but for this military campaign I want to see a gradual progression that
                >eventually gets us to the place where they have one skill at superb, and so on.
                >Wasn't there some mention earlier of a skill pyramid versus a tower? Or
                >something?
                >
                > Also, hadn't someone once advocated truncating character creation at one or two
                >phases if you were going with this concept? Any concrete experiences on how that
                >has worked out?
                >
                > I appreciate any help or advice you can give.

              • Carl Brown
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                  For my short 2 cents worth: I ran a modified 2.0 camapign begining with 4 phase characters 6 skills per phase, basically inexperienced professionals. We played a total of about hours of play during this time I awarded 6 skill ranks and one aspect. No-one grumbled. Very slow advancement did not seem to be a problem because unlike a traditional level based system players aren't aching to get thier hands on the next cool new power. Instead Aspect choices have enabled them to realise thier concept from the get go.
> [...]
                  >to model it - as it is more access to weaponry training, access to miltiary
                  >discipline, than access to uber military equipment. And for military trained
                  >personel, both stunts and fields at phase 3 shoudl be miltiary. First aspect
                  >is miltary trainign and second aspect is your actual military field - like
                  >Military
                  >Police, Infantry, Antitank, Fighter Pilot, Naval Crew.
                  >
                  >The aspects on phase 3 onward should represent your "occupation" during
                  >that term. The Fate 2.0 levels on aspects are perfect to simulate your
                  >occupational
                  >knowledge - no need for bloody career skills. Your aspect determiens hwo
                  >good you are at your occupational field, and how much real experience you have
                  >doing that field jobs. And the Fate system way of invokign aspects really well
                  >simulates the big difference of actual experience and theory.

                  Care2 makes it easy for everyone to live a healthy, green lifestyle and impact the causes you care about most. Over 12 Million members! http://www.care2.com

                  Feed a child by searching the web! Learn how http://www.care2.com/toolbar

                • Antti Kautiainen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                    In my own experience with several campaings with modified Mage system, and even
                    more modified one more resembling hybrid of GURPS and Mage, we had character
                    creationg modified in fashion making new characters more experienced, and the
                    tuned down the character creation. This put more focus on roleplaying and less
                    focus on minmax game of character advancement. It is way more fun to play
                    character who is truly a professional soldier, who knows his trade, after
                    character
                    creation. A game in which most 40 years old actually are more skilled tahn
                    16 years old geek who thinks he knows more than his elders - because he surpass
                    them on a field like computers the older guys never needed to yous. For that
                    geek
                    it never hits his head the 40 years old guy may be competetn in repairing many
                    things,and maintaining his house - and probably have built one.

                    That is why I do want to have system which allows you to make charcters of
                    different levels of competence instead of making just the 16 years old sons of
                    farmer, and then tuning the amont of experience gained to more realiwstic
                    level. In this kind of systems, experienced professional is an experienced
                    professional with years of practice in their field - and gaining that status
                    would
                    take years from characters too. Too many systems use totally different system
                    for creating characters and then another system for advancement - and those
                    systems
                    just does not cowork well making either unintentional or intentional minmax game
                    of character creation due totally different investmetn cost and advancement
                    cost.

                    This is aspect I like in Fate - same system is used for both advancement and
                    character creation. Also I do not like the experience point system - the refresh

                    based system on DFRPG is wya better - less bookkeeping and actually more
                    realistic development. YOu have to keep the pyramid going which causes delay
                    of skill development to high levels. Experience is drug to players, not to
                    characters.
                    It is way to reward player by making his character more powerful. Fate points
                    are better way to do this - as they are not permanent, they do require you have
                    sutiable aspect to use them well, and they are NOT used for character
                    advancement.

                    The systems which use experience for boosting you (or experience giving item
                    to boost like 7th Sea Drama Dice), the players with Ill Luck are penaltized, and
                    players with good luck - or who do not take risks, are awareded, as every time
                    you have to use that mechanics, you lose experience. Very bad design of the
                    game, but ... I have noticed it is the common way the industry does it. Only
                    GURPS and Mage/OWoD had luck Merit which does gives you limited number
                    of rerolls per session- and Fate does the same through FATE points. The
                    way of not awarding lukcy or cheating players seems to be really small fraction
                    of the industry.

                    And you had dropped how many horus the campaign was in total, but your
                    post seems to imply it was many hours.

                    Yours Kautsu