New poll for FateRPG

  • FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 19, 2004
      FateRPG group:

      With Grey Ghost Games, the publisher of Fudge,
      making its press release about the decision to take
      Fudge in an Open Gaming License (OGL) or similar
      direction, one of our primary motivators to produce
      a non-Fudge version of Fate dissolves pretty
      rapidly. How do you think we should respond to
      this new direction for Fudge?

      o Keep going with Fudgeless as the main form of Fate, continue with secondary Fudge support.
      o Return to a philosophy of Fudgey Fate as the main form, but offer up Fudgeless as a secondary option.
      o Just ditch Fudgeless, and make Fudge the only thing. With Fudge going OGL (or something like it), there's no great gain.
      o Drop Fudge support entirely. It's great that Fudge may go OGL, but it's too little too late.
      o Nice list of choices, but none of them fit my perspective. I'll vote this one and then email the list explaining my alternate perspective.

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Iago
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 19, 2004
        Please take the time to vote in this poll. Your vote does
        matter! To vote, please visit the following web page:

        On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, FateRPG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > FateRPG group:
        >
        > With Grey Ghost Games, the publisher of Fudge,
        > making its press release about the decision to take
        > Fudge in an Open Gaming License (OGL) or similar
        > direction, one of our primary motivators to produce
        > a non-Fudge version of Fate dissolves pretty
        > rapidly. How do you think we should respond to
        > this new direction for Fudge?
        (...)

        --
        Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
        Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 19, 2004
          I thought I would expand slightly on my answer in the poll (I went
          with Fudgey FATE primary, Fudgeless as an option). I think that
          FATE makes an excellent implementation of Fudge and I think it
          stands out as an example of how to take Fudge and make it your own.
          I think Fudgey FATE greatly benefits the Fudge community as a whole
          by giving an example of how flexible Fudge is. That having been
          said I don't think Fudgeless should be abandoned completely because
          some people just don't 'get' Fudge and never will. It never hurts
          to expand your user base by offering alternate methods. Also, I
          would hold off making any final decision either way till I knew
          exactly what form the final license is going to take.

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Iago <iago@i...> wrote:
          > Please take the time to vote in this poll. Your vote does
          > matter!
        • Robert Stehwien
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 19, 2004
            I voted for Fudge Fate only. Not because fudgeless is bad,
            but to keep focus and make it only necessary to support one
            version. With Fudge going open source, Fate can stand tall
            as the best version of Fudge ever made.

            Of course fudgeless to fudged fate is a trivial conversion -
            mostly you roll different dice against different
            difficulties. The writueps of characters are almost identical.
          • FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 27, 2004
              FateRPG group:

              Fate for Pay: EvilHat has toyed off and on with the
              idea of putting out a print-on-demand edition of
              Fate, or providing an electronic version with
              additional content, for a price. Is Fate good enough
              to be worth money? (In addition to voting, please
              feel free to discuss your ideas and choices on the
              list.)

              o I'd pay for an electronic version of Fate as-is (equivalent to the free product), as a 'donation edition'
              o I'd pay for an electronic version of Fate only if it had additional material (monster rules, adventures or a setting)
              o I'd pay for a print-on-demand version of Fate as-is (equivalent to the free electronic version)
              o I'd pay for a print-on-demand version of Fate only if it had additional material in it (as above).
              o A fair price for an electronic edition is no more than $5
              o A fair price for an electronic edition is no more than $10
              o A fair price for an electronic edition is no more than $15 or more
              o A fair price for a print-on-demand edition is no more than $10
              o A fair price for a print-on-demand edition is no more than $15
              o A fair price for a print-on-demand edition is no more than $20
              o Let's face it, if Fate goes to print, I'm gonna buy it unless the price is just ludicrous.

              web site listed above.

              Thanks!
            • Iago
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 27, 2004
                On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, FateRPG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > o A fair price for an electronic edition is no more than
                > $15 or more

                It's wording like that that makes me happy I got an
                English degree!

                --
                Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic
                Fate RPG * http://www.faterpg.com/ Fudge Factor * http://www.fudgefactor.org/
                Plink * http://www.rainlikely.com/ Jim Butcher * http://www.jim-butcher.com/
              • lance dyas
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 27, 2004
                  Iago wrote:

                  > On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, FateRPG@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  >
                  > > o A fair price for an electronic edition is no more than
                  > > $15 or more
                  >
                  > It's wording like that that makes me happy I got an
                  > English degree!

                  Arggh, Myself - I have no clue what is meant

                  --
                  Lance Dyas

                  Google Me under : Lost Worlds Roleplaying

                  -- Lance Dyas
                  Lost Worlds Roleplaying - at the Decision Driven Gaming Center
                  http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay/LostWorlds
                • James Pacek
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 27, 2004
                    Me fail english? That's unpossible!

                    On Mar 27, 2004, at 3:22 PM, Iago wrote:

                    > It's wording like that that makes me happy I got an
                    > English degree!

                    Thanks,

                    _______________________
                    Jim Pacek
                    wilmanric@...
                  • Iago
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 27, 2004
                      On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, lance dyas wrote:

                      > Iago wrote:
                      >
                      > > On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, FateRPG@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > o A fair price for an electronic edition is no more
                      > > > than $15 or more
                      > >
                      > > It's wording like that that makes me happy I got an
                      > > English degree!
                      >
                      > Arggh, Myself - I have no clue what is meant

                      "A fair price for an electronic edition is no more than
                      $15" -- I didn't mean to leave the 'or more' on the end.

                      --
                      Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                      Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic
                      Fate RPG * http://www.faterpg.com/ Fudge Factor * http://www.fudgefactor.org/
                      Plink * http://www.rainlikely.com/ Jim Butcher * http://www.jim-butcher.com/
                    • Harald Wagener
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 28, 2004
                        I would not buy an on-demand-version because shipping and taxes would
                        increase the price two- to threefold for me. Other than that, I am
                        regularily shopping for pdf based RPG products, and I'd buy FATE for no
                        more than $10. My wish for a fate-for-pay would be more graphics,
                        though (which normally is the most expensive part).

                        Regards,
                        Harald
                      • ranthilian
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 28, 2004
                          I would not be interested in a print on demand edition unless it was
                          substantially higher quality than I can print myself as shipping
                          would probably increase the price substantially. Also, I think you
                          should give an example setting similar to the way Fudge Expanded
                          does to help clarify how to put everything together (this need not
                          be ridiculously long). A chapter on how to handle things that are
                          substantially tougher or weaker than humans would help as well.
                        • Herman Duyker
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 28, 2004
                            Greetings all,

                            just to sound in on the "Fate for Pay" thread:

                            I would very likely buy a print version of Fate, though
                            I do prefer that a .PDF version stays available as well
                            (either free or for pay).

                            Also, it would be good to try and get it at a
                            quality which is normally "out of reach" for the
                            at-home or at-work printer (and as I have access
                            to the big Xeroxes at work, I can print reasonably
                            nice copies -- though my problem is that we only
                            have A4-sized paper over here, so I have to do
                            some trickery and some cutting to make it look
                            really nice).

                            One problem might be transport costs. As I live
                            in the Netherlands, this might become a barrier
                            to buying stuff. Good thing is that the dollar
                            is pretty low (at the moment), bad thing is
                            that the ratio of "materials" vs. "postal fees"
                            can get pretty bad. I recently bought the
                            "Universalis" game, which is $15 for the game,
                            $3 to send it in the US, and $6 to send it to
                            Europe. I thought this was a fine deal.

                            (On the other hand, I recently paid EUR 35 for
                            the Midnight d20 book in my FLGS here in the
                            Netherlands, for a US$ 35 book... but that was
                            hardback, with a full-colour insert, greyscale
                            for the remainder, and 256 pages. It all depends
                            on the quality / production value / percieved
                            value).

                            Later,

                            Herman
                          • dalcun
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                              Id be happy to get a print on demand or a paid PDF version, but I
                              would like to see more expansions to the magic system (especially
                              stunt based magic) or just the stunt system in general. It would be
                              nice to have a bunch of defined schools with example schools.

                              Cheers,
                            • dalcun
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                > It would be nice to have a bunch of defined schools with example
                                schools.

                                I meant example stunts.
                              • Jari Mäkelä
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                  --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "dalcun" <sws99dsc@r...> wrote:
                                  > > It would be nice to have a bunch of defined schools with example
                                  > schools.
                                  >
                                  > I meant example stunts.

                                  Hi,

                                  Well am just chiming in but various examples using various settings
                                  of aspects, stunts and skills would make it very interesting to buy.

                                  As I tried to entice players to try fate the problem I had was having
                                  good, solid examples to use while explaining things for players who
                                  had never played fudge nor fate. (people hanging to the numerical
                                  values or mostly the lack of them)

                                  The varied examples from fantasy to scifi would be specially helpful
                                  for starting GM's as a friend of mine tried to be gm after learning
                                  some of the Fate but he was stumped as the game was new to him and
                                  all examples were mainly fantasy related.

                                  Jari Makela
                                • Mike Holmes
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                    >From: "ranthilian" <LWW@...>
                                    >
                                    >I would not be interested in a print on demand edition unless it was
                                    >substantially higher quality than I can print myself as shipping
                                    >would probably increase the price substantially.

                                    The POD services that I think that they are suggesting make pretty nice
                                    quality stuff. That is, what you get looks like any other book that you'd
                                    find at your local game store. I'm gussing it would be perfect bound. While
                                    you can take a PDF and get a book like that made, it's pretty damn expensive
                                    for a copy made that way, and usually the PDFs that you get online don't
                                    have all the information needed to make one anyhow.

                                    So, basically, it's very unlikely that you'd be able to print the PDF
                                    anywhere near as nice as the POD copy for the same amount or less.

                                    Fred or Rob, you guys thinking of going with James at RPG Mall?

                                    Mike

                                  • Iago
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                      On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Mike Holmes wrote:

                                      > >I would not be interested in a print on demand edition
                                      > >unless it was substantially higher quality than I can
                                      > >print myself as shipping would probably increase the
                                      > >price substantially.
                                      >
                                      > The POD services that I think that they are suggesting
                                      > make pretty nice quality stuff. That is, what you get
                                      > looks like any other book that you'd find at your local
                                      > game store. I'm gussing it would be perfect bound. While
                                      > you can take a PDF and get a book like that made, it's
                                      > pretty damn expensive for a copy made that way, and
                                      > usually the PDFs that you get online don't have all the
                                      > information needed to make one anyhow.
                                      >
                                      > So, basically, it's very unlikely that you'd be able to
                                      > print the PDF anywhere near as nice as the POD copy for
                                      > the same amount or less.
                                      >
                                      > Fred or Rob, you guys thinking of going with James at RPG
                                      > Mall?

                                      RPG Mall is certainly on the roster of considerations.
                                      We've also been hearing things about Lulu, and other such
                                      bits. And we are unlikely to do POD unless we can produce
                                      a perfect bound copy.

                                      Does anyone have any other suggestions that we should keep
                                      an eye on?

                                      --
                                      Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                                      Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic
                                      Fate RPG * http://www.faterpg.com/ Fudge Factor * http://www.fudgefactor.org/
                                      Plink * http://www.rainlikely.com/ Jim Butcher * http://www.jim-butcher.com/
                                    • Manveru
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                        I may have missed it, but I can't determine if the questions in this poll
                                        relate to the current, released, version of FATE or the upcoming version (or
                                        both??).

                                        Thanks!
                                      • Iago
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                          On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Manveru wrote:

                                          > I may have missed it, but I can't determine if the
                                          > questions in this poll relate to the current, released,
                                          > version of FATE or the upcoming version (or both??).

                                          Intentionally vague. Consider it to be relevant to the
                                          current, but when we say "additional material", understand
                                          that the next release is not going to satisfy _my_
                                          definition of "additional material", at the least. :)

                                          --
                                          Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                                          Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic
                                          Fate RPG * http://www.faterpg.com/ Fudge Factor * http://www.fudgefactor.org/
                                          Plink * http://www.rainlikely.com/ Jim Butcher * http://www.jim-butcher.com/
                                        • Robert Donoghue
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                            > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes" <homeydont@h...>
                                            wrote:> >
                                            > From: "ranthilian" <LWW@p...>>
                                            > Fred or Rob, you guys thinking of going with James at RPG Mall?

                                            To my thinking, that an lulu are the big contenders, though cafepress
                                            has a certain appeal, depending on how well they can deliver perfect
                                            binding. I'm planning on buying some POD stuff this week from a few
                                            sources so i can get a firsthand sense of quality.

                                            For those who do not know it, I am a huge binding freak. It's a hobby
                                            in its own right. I bind books for fun, and own several different (home
                                            level) binding systems. I've been a long time user of PDFs and the
                                            like because I've done just about every permutation possible of getting
                                            the stuff bound myself.

                                            I mention this to get across a specific point: POD is not worth our
                                            time or yours if you could do just as well burning it to disk and
                                            walking to kinkos. If we were ever to offer a non perfect-bound POD
                                            version of Fate it would be as a convenience for those folks who would
                                            find it convenient, not as our dream version. Call me a giant snob,
                                            but if you're buying a book, by god, I want to put the name on the
                                            spine.

                                            I should note that as a side issue, I like 6x9 books. This is not to
                                            say that will be the size Fate is printed in, but I mentionit so peopel
                                            knwo it's a possibility on the radar, in case thye have strong
                                            opinions.

                                            Couple other bits of random news. Some of you may know that Adobe has
                                            formally announced that they're no longer supporting Framemaker for
                                            the Mac (and are, in general, showing signs of notsupporting Frame much
                                            in general). For those who do not know it, Framemaker is a piece of
                                            software that's ideally designed for writing full fledged books, and it
                                            has been used for the creation of all versions of Fate to date. One of
                                            the standing hold ups with getting the revision out is that both Iago
                                            and I primarily use Macs these days, so actual Fate writing was only
                                            occouring when I could get to my desktop, which was much less often
                                            than one might hope. We did invest in Frame for the Mac, but it never
                                            had OS X support, and since OS 9 handles fonts weirdly, it was never a
                                            practical option.

                                            As such, this past weekend, I finally did the grunt work necessary to
                                            set up the templates and port the data over to move the existing files
                                            into Adobe's InDesign, the heir to Pagemaker. There are some
                                            definately speedbumps to this, ID is a much more powerful layout tool,
                                            but a less effective writing too, but it means that work can be done on
                                            the fly now, which is a good thing. Still not promising times, but the
                                            fact that i can now workin 15 minute chunks whenever I getthe chance is
                                            a HUGE improvement.

                                            As a last note, I grew tired of the text window munging my input, so
                                            I've swticht to this email account from this point on.

                                            -Rob D.
                                          • ranthilian
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 29, 2004
                                              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Donoghue <rdonoghue@m...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > I mention this to get across a specific point: POD is not worth
                                              >our time or yours if you could do just as well burning it to disk
                                              >and walking to kinkos. If we were ever to offer a non perfect-
                                              >bound POD version of Fate it would be as a convenience for those
                                              >folks who would find it convenient, not as our dream version. Call
                                              >me a giant snob, but if you're buying a book, by god, I want to put
                                              >the name on the spine.

                                              ++This is essentially what I was saying and I'm glad to see that we
                                              agree.

                                              > I should note that as a side issue, I like 6x9 books. This is not
                                              >to say that will be the size Fate is printed in, but I mentionit so
                                              >peopel knwo it's a possibility on the radar, in case thye have
                                              >strong opinions.

                                              I usually don't like smaller game books if I'm going to have to
                                              reference them much in play. As it is unlikely I would ever have to
                                              reference the FATE book more than once in a session, I don't see a
                                              problem if you go with that size.
                                            • FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 14, 2006
                                                FateRPG group:

                                                As much as I like the Yahoo! Groups features and such, I've been finding myself, lately, desiring a more full-featured web forum for Evil Hat, which would combine the roles of the FateRPG group, the Dresden Files RPG group, and provide a place for non-Fate (e.g., Don't Rest Your Head) as well as Fate products from Evil Hat to be discussed. The question becomes what to do with the existing Yahoo groups!

                                                o Keep the Yahoo! Group exactly as-is. Two locations with the same purpose don't make a big issue.
                                                o You should commit; lock down the Yahoo! Group and focus on the web forum. I'll see you there!
                                                o Yahoo! Group or not, you won't be seeing me on a web forum. Can't stand 'em.
                                                o Other (please clarify to the list!)

                                                web site listed above.

                                                Thanks!
                                              • FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                  FateRPG group:

                                                  Do you use the '2/4/6' option?

                                                  o Yes
                                                  o No

                                                  web site listed above.

                                                  Thanks!
                                                • FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                    FateRPG group:

                                                    How many stress tracks do you usually use?

                                                    o 1
                                                    o 2, per the rules as written
                                                    o 2, but with different names
                                                    o 3
                                                    o 4+

                                                    web site listed above.

                                                    Thanks!
                                                  • FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                      FateRPG group:

                                                      What 'base' stress do you use?

                                                      o 5, in both Health and Composure
                                                      o 5, but in a single Stress track
                                                      o Less than 5 in both Health and Composure
                                                      o More than 5 in both Health and Composure
                                                      o Less than 5 in a single Stress track
                                                      o More than 5 in a single Stress track
                                                      o Other

                                                      web site listed above.