Diaspora: DIY Equipment

  • Chris Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hey again.

      I'm still busy in my read through of the Diaspora SRD. Apart from the massive run-on sentence in space ship combat, I have some questions regarding equipment and making one's own.

      I get each world creates equipment limited by its tech rating but in my universe, a planet's tech rating is somewhat fuzzier - it's a general averaged rating; the colony cities added together must equal the world's. This way, the cities have better ratings than the overall planet. The more cities there are, the lower each one's ratings.

      This way, some cities have better resources, technology and environment ratings than others. The lower a city's rating the more grimier it is, the more imports they need, the more fun the plot hooks will be found in there.

      So, anyway, I digress.

      The equipment creation rules give a BP value equal to the local technology level. Are build points spend 1:1 on each point of Harm and Penetration, a Stunt or Aspect? Or does it all work on some sort of cost-scaling chart?

      If so, I want to see if it makes a handy reference to compare economies, intraplanetary and extraplanetary.

      Cheers,

      Chris.
    • Harald Wagener
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
        The equipment rules at the end of the book have tables that list the
        cost per stat.

        On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Chris Cooper <insectking@...> wrote:
        > Hey again.
        >
        > I'm still busy in my read through of the Diaspora SRD. Apart from the massive run-on sentence in space ship combat, I have some questions regarding equipment and making one's own.
        >
        > I get each world creates equipment limited by its tech rating but in my universe, a planet's tech rating is somewhat fuzzier - it's a general averaged rating; the colony cities added together must equal the world's. This way, the cities have better ratings than the overall planet. The more cities there are, the lower each one's ratings.
        >
        > This way, some cities have better resources, technology and environment ratings than others. The lower a city's rating the more grimier it is, the more imports they need, the more fun the plot hooks will be found in there.
        >
        > So, anyway, I digress.
        >
        > The equipment creation rules give a BP value equal to the local technology level. Are build points spend 1:1 on each point of Harm and Penetration, a Stunt or Aspect? Or does it all work on some sort of cost-scaling chart?
        >
        > If so, I want to see if it makes a handy reference to compare economies, intraplanetary and extraplanetary.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Chris.

      • Chris Cooper
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
          --- On Mon, 8/2/10, Harald Wagener <wagener@...> wrote:

          > The equipment rules at the end of the
          > book have tables that list the
          > cost per stat.

          Got it, thanks. Gah, I hate reading from a monitor.

          I was looking at the slug throwers. Rank seems to be the incremental + values for dice rolls.

          I think it would be easier to take an existing weapon and just swap-replace features, create new features or build it up and then calculate cost.

          I have done a few sweeping rulings for Epitaxy. One of them is that they players don't need the civilian stunt to get weapons. Each of them is military grade.

          Sample slug thrower: Mauser 32C Caseless Carbosprayer

          Also known as the Slamloader, this pistol was designed for use by orbital drop troops. It shoots 9mm standards but requires unique caseless rounds to fire in a vacuum, though.

          Built on Earth (in gamespeak, the only 5+ Tech world populated by humans), the SlamLoader is known for being tough - it had to survive a drop from orbit, hit the ground and fire without hitch nine out of ten times. Despite the sophistication of materials, the mechanism if mechanically easy to let grunts fix the weapon if it gives hassles.

          It is a large pistol but not too heavy. It is built out of metadensile ceramics, woven carbon and foamed metals. The magazine fits into a catch under the barrel not the grip. This lets the user hold the magazine and shoot with two hands for extra stability.

          HARM: +3
          PENETRATION: +3
          STUNTS: Robust, High Capacity
          ASPECTS: Out of Ammo, Black Market Desirability

          Robust: Treat your moderate Consequence as a mild with regards fixing it in the field with limited tools.
          Black Market Desirability: The ritualised mythology behind the SlamLoader means it is very popular badge of respect among criminals.

          Caseless Carbospray Vacuum Firing Rounds
          These caseless 9mm rounds detonate forward as well as backward, reducing recoil but also releasing vaporised graphite along the barrel to lubricate the shell as a gas.

          Stunts: Low Recoil, High Recoil
          Although the caseless rounds can be fired in a vacuum, and has minimal recoil, it can only be fired every other turn (unless the shooter is braced) or high recoil becomes an issue.