Another way to think about aspects

  • Lisa Steele
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2010
      Another law enforcement article with some FATE-ish options, in effect the author seems to be talking about aspects....

      Have you ever been to a party where the host gives you one of those name tags that reads “Hello, my name is…”? Pretty stupid, aren’t they? Well, realize it or not, just like that party, every person in the world wears a name tag. It may not be visible, but it is there. You just have to know where to look for it.

      The presence of these name tags will help you to keep straight the players in your program for tonight’s game. When you step out of your squad car for the first time today, start looking, and soon you will see them. They will help you get through the shift safely. Chances are pretty good that on one of your first traffic stops, you will get to meet the first in your cast of longtime characters.

      “Hi, my name is Bothered.” He is your garden variety civilian who generally sees law enforcement as a nuisance, and right now you are about to prove it to him. “You stopped me for clipping a red light, and now you are telling me to keep my hands where you can see them! What’s wrong with you? Don’t you see that I am a good person?”

      Twenty minutes later into the shift brings you the opportunity to attend a public relations event. A routine loud party complaint brings you to one of the nicer neighborhoods in town where, unbeknownst to you, they are hosting the yearly “I pay your salary” gala. Black tie is, of course, required.

      The door opens, and right away you see the name tag: “Hi, my name is Money,” as in, “I’ve got it, you don’t. And neither do those people who had the audacity to call you to come and bother me and my friends. Now go away, peasant. We are above you and your silly laws.” Oh, how nice. The chance to become a legend has now presented itself. Summons issued.

      * * *

      http://www.hendonpub.com/publications/article/?mag=LAO&articleId=207964&articleLoc=Other+Articles