Re: [FateRPG] Re: Miskatonic Mayhem

  • Thijs Krijger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
      On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Iago wrote:

      > > > My head, and my viewership of the shows. :)
      > >
      > > ISnt Miskatonic University from some Call of Chthulu
      > > sourcebook?
      >
      > Pretty much, yes. This is "The Buffyverse meets the
      > Cthulhuverse -- at University."

      Can you tell what sourcebooks of CoC you used?

      Greetings from Thijs

      Krijger@... or http://www.astro.uu.nl/~krijger
      Husband, Scientist, Gamer - in that order
    • Iago
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
        On Tue, 02 Mar 2004, Thijs Krijger wrote:

        > > > ISnt Miskatonic University from some Call of Chthulu
        > > > sourcebook?
        > >
        > > Pretty much, yes. This is "The Buffyverse meets the
        > > Cthulhuverse -- at University."
        >
        > Can you tell what sourcebooks of CoC you used?

        My head, again, though I did have copy of the Dictionary
        of Imaginary Places (which included Arkham) and the core
        d20 version of Call of Cthulhu (but mainly I used that to
        scan for monster names and concepts, not stats).

        --
        Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
        Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
          > > Is more information available for this setting?
          >
          > Not really. I can give the occasional anecdote about how
          > it played out, but what's out there is what got written
          > down.

          Reading through the introductory .PDF ("Welcome to Arkham"),
          I saw a mention of an "open deck" of character concepts,
          and a "Secret deck" of elements to include in your character.

          Questions:
          * Were those "real" decks (like the ones with the plot
          cards included in the files section)?
          * What kind of information / elements did you include
          on these decks?

          Herman
        • Iago
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
            On Tue, 02 Mar 2004, Herman Duyker wrote:

            > Reading through the introductory .PDF ("Welcome to
            > Arkham"), I saw a mention of an "open deck" of character
            > concepts, and a "Secret deck" of elements to include in
            > your character.
            >
            > Questions:
            >
            > * Were those "real" decks (like the ones with the plot
            > cards included in the files section)?

            Yep.

            > * What kind of information / elements did you include
            > on these decks?

            I believe the Open Deck looked like this:

            * Band Geek
            * Jock
            * Skater Dude
            * The Popular One
            * Science Geek
            * Drama Queen
            * Computer Whiz
            * Kid Brother/Sister
            * Military Brat

            There were probably more. I basically had 8-10 character
            concepts in a deck, let people pick their character
            concept from it on a first-come, first serve. The
            intention was to create a "tv-show-viable" cross-section
            of characters like you'd see in a Buffy style setup.

            The secret deck was the supernatural schtick that each got
            to have. If someone didn't like their first secret draw,
            they could make a second draw and put back the first --
            but they'd be stuck with the second.

            The males all got to draw from the secret deck on the
            first phase. The women had to wait, because after the
            first phase, a vote was made by each player (secret
            ballot) for who among the women should be Chosen as the
            Slayer (this was to reinforce the "you're chosen" thing,
            and done after the first phase to lend some verisimilitude
            to the whole it-shakes-your-life-up thing). Those who
            didn't end up as the Slayer, then got to draw from the
            secret deck in phase two.

            The secret deck had things like:

            * Demon Halfbreed
            * You See Dead People