DFRPG: Thaumaturgy Casting Times

  • Stuart Broz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
      Are there guidelines for how long it takes to use Thaumaturgy? I could not find anything concrete in the book.

      Some Thaumaturgy will clearly require multiple channelling rolls, but it isn't clear how much time each of these takes... and whether that is affected by the complexity of the spell.

      I realize that this should be flexible to the needs of the story, but it would be nice to have some examples... and the reasoning behind them. Thoughts?

      -Stuart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
        Preparation on a spell takes minutes to hours to days depending on the complexity of the spell and other "wobbly-wiggly" factors that the GM gets to make up. There's a reason there's nothing concrete. :)

        Each channeling roll takes as long as an evocation spell takes.

        --
        Fred Hicks
        Evil Hat Productions, LLC

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
            On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Stuart Broz <zorbtrauts@...> wrote:
            So the actual casting of a thaumaturgy spell is always just a matter of exchanges/rounds/whatever?

            If anything is going to take a substantial (more than a minute or so) amount of time, it is all preparation?

            Yes. This is why Harry is occasionally able to whip up a quick ward or divination spell even when the time pressure is on. Low enough complexity to fit under the 'no-prep' rule. Most thaumaturgical spells of any real merit, though, are above that complexity threshold and require an investment of story and time and resources to put together in the first place. But actually *empowering* the construct you've built is simply a series of back to back evocations (in essence).

            --
            Fred Hicks
            Evil Hat Productions, LLC
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
              On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Stuart Broz <zorbtrauts@...> wrote:
              > If anything is going to take a substantial (more than a minute or so) amount of time, it is all preparation?

              Basically. As a matter of personal taste, I'd also suggest that a
              wizard probably can't engage in combat while s/he's casting
              thaumaturgy, even if his friends are. That includes those free defense
              rolls you'd usually get.

              -L
            • Jim Montgomery
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
                Cowl certainly couldn't during the Darkhallow. (Necromancy, thaumaturgy... semantics =)