Re: Stunt based magic....

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Iago <iago@i...> wrote:
      > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, dalcun wrote:
      >
      > > Im in the process of changing my homebrew fantasy world
      > > over to fate, and was wondering if anyone has any web site
      > > reccomendations or articles about Stunt based magic in
      > > Fate?
      > >
      > > Ill be using it for 13 different schools of macic:
      >
      > Wow! I'd love to see the writeups on these guys.
      >
      > Unfortunately, I don't have any other examples readily
      > available. The stunt writeup's a fairly new one for us.

      Not entirely true, though Iago may not realize it. The stunt system came out of my sitting
      down one day and trying to codify the way we were doing magic in Born to Be Kings.*
      Basically, we were doign something liek the stunt system with no Geasa per se, and no
      stunt boxes - the limit was mostly based on the GMs judgement.

      But despite those differences, the similarities are enough that I can give you some broad
      strokes of what sort of magic we were using. Noformal Geasa, but many of the powers
      had somethign that filled a similar role.

      Cartomancy - The literal and figurative manipulation of cards. Minor effect included
      interesting shuffling tricks and only-slightly-better-than-useless divinations. Stunts
      included maniuplating packs of cards into shapes (The visual effect, we realized much
      later, was the same as The Paper, from Read or Die), Hide physical objects in cards, and
      perform more useful divinations. The geas equivalent was the necessity of having cards
      on hand.

      Trump: This one's a canonical Amber power. Basically, a stunt allowed the creationof a
      trump (a card used fro communication and transportation) and miinor effects allowed for
      tricks like call-waiting.

      Pattern: Another canonical power. At it's baseline, it simply worked, but the one character
      who could stunt with it could do so to alter reality drastically, or perform a defense against
      the mystic.

      The Master of Eagles Peak: Eagle's peak was a font of a dark, destructive, entropic and
      downrigth evil power, and it's master could call on that for destructive purposes. Minor
      effects could rot food or weaken material. Stunts could decay or destroy large swaths of
      area, or destoy potent magics. THe Geas-equivalent was that the power source was
      malicious, and the power itself was hard to finely control.

      Ninjitsu: Like it sounds. Late in the game, we got ourselves a ninja with a day planner.
      Minor effects allowed for conveniently available weapons or stealth in inappropriate
      circumstances. Stunts allowed for superhuman feats of athletics or stealth. The geas of
      that ws that it requires a certain asceticism.

      Elementalism: The ability to summon and bind elementals. Minor effects allowed
      communication with elementals, as well as some sense of when they were active. Stunts
      allowed summoning an elemental which could be bound (requiring a skill roll) to a service,
      or if a weak enough elemental, to an item. Geas equivalent was that the Elementals were
      frequently persnickety, and that binding was tricky.

      Glamour: Fae magic of illusion. Minor effects included an array of minor tricks: Sparkles,
      colors and the like. Stunts allowed for vast or striongly persistant illusions. Geas came
      from its fae nature, which had many rules involving things liek gifts, cirlces and Iron.

      There were some NPC magics too: A ghost, an artificer, A Blood Mage, and so on, but I
      have less of a grasp of their particular talents.

      Hope that helps.

      -Rob D.

      * For those unfamiliar with it, Born to be Kings was the prototypical Fate game, and also
      one of th ebest damn games ever, and we've got the documentation to prove it. Check out
      http://www.iago.net/amber/kings/ and if you have a moment, check out the sessions
      page. Best. Quotes. Evar.
    • Iago
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
        On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Rob wrote:

        > > Unfortunately, I don't have any other examples readily
        > > available. The stunt writeup's a fairly new one for us.
        >
        > Not entirely true, though Iago may not realize it. The stunt
        > system came out of my sitting down one day and trying to
        > codify the way we were doing magic in Born to Be Kings.*
        > Basically, we were doign something liek the stunt system
        > with no Geasa per se, and no stunt boxes - the limit was
        > mostly based on the GMs judgement.

        Well by "readily available" I meant, written up with
        overall descriptions, sample stunts, and Geasa. ;)

        --
        Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
        Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic