Re: [FateRPG] Re: Unknown Armies /Over the edge and FATE

  • Iago
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2004
      Here, I want to talk about an Aspect based version of the
      sanity principle, at least as I understand it from Rob's
      writeup (I don't know the game). I'll use the Violence
      sanity descriptor because it's the most facile and known
      for me.

      Let's say you have continuum, a free aspect that everyone
      gets. They start out at three levels, with the (Sanity)
      tag on them, and as they get hardened, they reduce until
      the last level is removed, at which point they pick it
      back up at one level again, with the (Insanity) tag on it.
      So, you'd have maybe six levels (though you could take
      this as far as you like) that would look like this:

      Violence (Sanity) [] [] [] "Terrible"
      Violence (Sanity) [] [] "Poor"
      Violence (Sanity) [] "Mediocre"
      Violence (Insanity) [] "Fair"
      Violence (Insanity) [] [] "Good"
      Violence (Insanity) [] [] [] "Great"

      (Using the Fudge terms here; we'll skip right past Average
      because in UA, _nobody is average_, but if you like, start
      the terms at Poor, and make Violence (Sanity) [] your
      Average.)

      While you're on the Sanity side of the line, you get FPs
      whenever you are compelled by the GM to _avoid violence_.
      You want to fire the gun, he pays you FPs, you don't fire
      the gun. If you buy this off and pay the _GM_ FPs, though,
      you do fire the gun -- and you lose one level of Violence
      (Sanity). Perhaps you can also invoke this version of the
      aspect in order to get rerolls, etc, under circumstances
      where you are attempting to remain sane, avoid violence,
      etc.

      Once you cross over to the Insanity (or Hardened) side of
      the line, you get FPs whenever you are compelled by the GM
      to _commit violence_. You want to go for a peaceful
      solution, he pays you FPs, you pull your gun and fire
      instead. If you buy this off and pay the GM FPs, though,
      you keep the gun holstered -- and you lose one level of
      Violence (Insanity). You can doubtless also invoke this
      version of the aspect in order to get your rerolls when
      _being violent_.

      --
      Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
      Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic