Re[2]: [FateRPG] Items as Aspects and Not

  • GameKnight
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2003
      On 2/3/2003, in <mid:20030203214847.GK17565@...> Iago was seen
      fudging this:

      > On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, GameKnight wrote:

      >> Aspect: Enchanted Staff [] []
      >>
      >> The GM describes the keep that the PCs have entered, and
      >> they that are suddenly surrounded by armed guards asking
      >> them to turn over all their weapons if they want to see
      >> the King. All the PCs begin taking off and dropping the
      >> plethora of deathware they are carrying, but the wizard
      >> tells the GM he wants to keep his staff handy. The GM
      >> shakes his head and says that they want him to drop it as
      >> well. The player forks over two FPs and says, "You
      >> wouldn't deprive an old man of his walking stick, would
      >> you?" The GM smiles and tells the player they let him keep
      >> his staff.

      > Good example -- and a Great move by the player to convince
      > the GM to let him pay off the involuntary invocation; the
      > GM isn't required to accept, is my only point, but it's a
      > fluid and negotiable thing in the best of cases.

      Agreed. Here's what might have happened if the GM declines

      The player forks over two FPs and says, "You wouldn't deprive an old
      man of his walking stick, would you?" The GM smiles and says, "Nice
      try wizard, but we are under strict orders. No swords, no knives, and
      no sticks..." Then the GM gives the PC 2 FPs for losing the staff.
      Odds are it won't be long before the wizard is soon re-equipped with
      it, though.

      --
      Best regards,
      GameKnight GameKnight -at- attbi -dot- com

      ---
      "There's a certain inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things
      you've already made up your mind about." -Spock, stardate 1514.0.
      ---
    • Darren Hill
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 3, 2003
        gameknight@... wrote:
        > Aspect: Enchanted Staff [] []
        >
        > The GM describes the keep that the PCs have entered, and they that are
        > suddenly surrounded by armed guards asking them to turn over all their
        > weapons if they want to see the King. All the PCs begin taking off and
        > dropping the plethora of deathware they are carrying, but the wizard
        > tells the GM he wants to keep his staff handy. The GM shakes his head
        > and says that they want him to drop it as well. The player forks over
        > two FPs and says, "You wouldn't deprive an old man of his walking
        > stick, would you?" The GM smiles and tells the player they let him
        > keep his staff.

        This fits in with the diea of using FP to provide minor coincidences.
        Personally I wouldn't distinguish between Aspects and other items here -
        if I thought the player came up with a good rationale, I'd allow him to
        spend 2-3 FP to keep any item. But there'd be situations where it
        wouldn't be allowed.
        However, the person who has spent an Aspect on his item will recover his
        item much more easily, in one of those barely probable coincidences that
        happen in adventure fiction. As in the example in FATE itself, where the
        next guard the PCs meet after the players escape from prison happens to
        be carrying the players Aspect sword.

        Darren
      • James Pacek
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 4, 2003
          Just for fun (I'm doing this from memory, so if I left something out,
          feel free to chime in :)

          Aspect: Stormbringer [] []
          Descriptors:
          Moans, Sucks Souls, Bestows Strength, Aura of Fear, Treacherous

          Skills taken by Elric:
          Wield Demonsword +2
          Sorcery +1

          ' ' ' ' ' ' ''"""""""""""'' ' ' ' ' '
          Seeya, I believe in a God that doesn't need heavy financing.
          Jim ~ Fletch
        • Jonathan Moyer
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 11, 2003
            FateRPG@yahoogroups.com writes:
            >This works out great on paper, but there is an underlying assumption
            >(and it comes up in the text) that an item bought with skills is a
            >lesser item than one bought with an aspect and I'm now finding myself
            >wondering if that bias is fair. Skill points are a signifigant
            >investment

            I've been thinking about this post by Rob for a while - sorry for the delay.

            I guess Items-as-Skills don't have to necessarily be less powerful than Items-as-Aspects - they are just less dramatically important to the character. That is, if the character weilds Excalibur as a Item-as-Skill, then he doesn't get Fudge points
            for losing access to it, no coincidences will get it back into his hands, etc.

            You could also go the same route with relationships (Contact, Ally, Minion). A Minion could be a powerful, Gandalf or Elminster-like patron. However, from a dramatic perspective he just doesn't matter as much to the PC as a Contact or Ally would.

            I'm a little iffy on "penalizing" a character too much for taking the Items-as-Skills approach. If a player is spending a Skill on something, that still is an investment on the Player's part. It signals how valuable this player thinks a certain
            part of his character concept is. At the very least, I wouldn't take an Item-as-Skill away without due compensation (giving back the Skill point investment, changing it to something else, etc.).

            Thinking of it this way, there are three tiers of "idea investment" in Fate. From least to most important, these would be investing in something as just a skill, investing in something as an Aspect, and investing in something as an Ally and Skill.
            Contacts are powerful, but Allies should mean much more to a character.

            Anyway I thought I'd share.

            Jon
          • Jonathan Moyer
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 11, 2003
              FateRPG@yahoogroups.com writes:
              > and investing in something as an Ally and Skill.

              grrr ... That should read "investing in something as an Aspect plus Skills"

              Jon
            • Iago
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 22, 2003
                This didn't produce any responses (okay, there was one).
                Too daunting? Not an interesting exercise? No sourness or
                disappointment here, I'm just curious. :)

                --
                Fred Hicks <iago AT iago DOT net>