[Diaspora] Dark*Matter sandmen

  • blowstertag
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
      I'm using Diaspora as the core FATE rules for a Dark*Matter game I will be running. One of the signature opponents in Dark*Matter are the sandmen, humans who have been infected with nanotechnology that both give them superior abilities and make them serve their alien machine masters, the etoile. I wanted opinions on the following attempt to stat them out.

      - Sandmen infiltrators
      - Skills
      - 3: Resolve
      - 2: Stamina, Computers
      - 1: Brawling, Slug Throwers, Stealth
      - Stunts
      - Hot Running: Sandmen may sustain up to four consequences before being taken out. The fourth is another mild consequence.
      - Structural Support: integral armor Def 2
      - Biomorphic kinesis: Use Stamina for Stealth
      - Aspects
      - Blood Music
      - Electrical components
      - Servant of the etoile

      This is my first attempt to stat out anything with FATE, so any input is appreciated.

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
          Thanks, Fred.

          The "integral equipment: armor" stunt was an example from the DIaspora book, so I figured it would be kosher.

          As for Stealth, I assumed that the character needed to have the skill in order for it to be replaced:

          "Swap a Skill
          Some Skill you have can be used in place of some other Skill you also have, to a maximum value of 3. If you want to use a high-ranking Skill at a higher level, this Stunt costs you a fate point each time it is used (high-ranking Skills can be used at level 3 without paying a point)."

          Granted, I thought it was weird to require this.

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
            Oh, yeah, *huh*.  I had missed that requirement, and I don't, admittedly, get it.

            Fred

            On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM, blowstertag <buzz@...> wrote:
            Thanks, Fred.

            The "integral equipment: armor" stunt was an example from the DIaspora book, so I figured it would be kosher.

            As for Stealth, I assumed that the character needed to have the skill in order for it to be replaced:

            "Swap a Skill
            Some Skill you have can be used in place of some other Skill you also have, to a maximum value of 3. If you want to use a high-ranking Skill at a higher level, this Stunt costs you a fate point each time it is used (high-ranking Skills can be used at level 3 without paying a point)."

            Granted, I thought it was weird to require this.

            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

            > If you're using Stamina for Stealth, I wouldn't bother giving them Stealth
            > at 1.  Put another, different utility skill there.
            >
            > I haven't looked closely enough at the integral equipment stuff to have a
            > non-referencing sense of whether that's kosher, but that's the only one I'd
            > really want to examine.  Otherwise looks pretty nifty.
            >
            > Fred

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               FateRPG-digest@yahoogroups.com
               FateRPG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            www.evilhat.com - www.faterpg.com - www.dresdenfilesrpg.com - www.indiepressrevolution.com
          • Brad Murray
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
              On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

              Oh, yeah, *huh*.  I had missed that requirement, and I don't, admittedly, get it.

              I'm not sure it needs to be there. It's reads to me as one of our less deliberate design choices.

              --
              Brad Murray (halfjack)
              VSCA Publishing
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
                On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:
                On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

                Oh, yeah, *huh*.  I had missed that requirement, and I don't, admittedly, get it.

                I'm not sure it needs to be there. It's reads to me as one of our less deliberate design choices.

                Correcting myself on review of my notes -- it was in fact very deliberate. In Diaspora any skill that is not in your pyramid is checked at -2 rather than zero. This means that if swap a skill operates on skills outside your pyramid, it elevates them by a minimum of five ranks, which is (very) disproportionate with the effect on a skill already in your pyramid. As there are relatively few skills in Diaspora, we also wanted the un-choices to be defining -- a character is described by the skills that didn't get into the pyramid as well as those that did -- and so we felt that swap-a-skill garnered "obvious" application (you would only apply it to skill outside your pyramid because the effects is so much greater there) that was contrary to theme.

                --
                Brad Murray (halfjack)
                VSCA Publishing
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
                  Errata-worthy, maybe?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
                      You mean at -1, right? That's what it says in the DIaspora book.

                      Well, the thing I was trying to get at with this is that sandmen can morph their bodies. They can do this to meld into machinery, and thus use it better than a human, but they can also use it for camouflage. Should I just handle that with Aspects?

                      The tricky thing for me is that the level of abstraction in FATE is higher than the source material (Alternity). Sandmen have a ton of abilities related to their machine nature that I'm trying to distill down to the FATE way of doing things.

                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

                      > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Oh, yeah, *huh*. I had missed that requirement, and I don't, admittedly,
                      > >> get it.
                      > >>
                      > > I'm not sure it needs to be there. It's reads to me as one of our less
                      > > deliberate design choices.
                      > >

                      > Correcting myself on review of my notes -- it was in fact very deliberate.
                      > In Diaspora any skill that is not in your pyramid is checked at -2 rather
                      > than zero. This means that if swap a skill operates on skills outside your
                      > pyramid, it elevates them by a minimum of five ranks, which is (very)
                      > disproportionate with the effect on a skill already in your pyramid. As
                      > there are relatively few skills in Diaspora, we also wanted the un-choices
                      > to be defining -- a character is described by the skills that didn't get
                      > into the pyramid as well as those that did -- and so we felt that
                      > swap-a-skill garnered "obvious" application (you would only apply it to
                      > skill outside your pyramid because the effects is so much greater there)
                      > that was contrary to theme.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Brad Murray (halfjack)
                      > VSCA Publishing

                    • Brad Murray
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
                        On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM, blowstertag <buzz@...> wrote:

                        You mean at -1, right? That's what it says in the DIaspora book.

                        Sorry yeah -- it was -2 for the first couple of years. :D

                        Well, the thing I was trying to get at with this is that sandmen can morph their bodies. They can do this to meld into machinery, and thus use it better than a human, but they can also use it for camouflage. Should I just handle that with Aspects?

                        The tricky thing for me is that the level of abstraction in FATE is higher than the source material (Alternity). Sandmen have a ton of abilities related to their machine nature that I'm trying to distill down to the FATE way of doing things.

                        I'd just use Aspects for most of that, yeah. If part of their ability is in gear, give them Have a Thing and put an aspect on that for an extra scope to tag from.

                        --
                        Brad Murray (halfjack)
                        VSCA Publishing
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
                          Cool! Thanks for the help, everyone. Expect to see some more conversions in the near future.

                          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

                          > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM, blowstertag <buzz@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > You mean at -1, right? That's what it says in the DIaspora book.
                          > >
                          > Sorry yeah -- it was -2 for the first couple of years. :D
                          >

                          > > Well, the thing I was trying to get at with this is that sandmen can morph
                          > > their bodies. They can do this to meld into machinery, and thus use it
                          > > better than a human, but they can also use it for camouflage. Should I just
                          > > handle that with Aspects?
                          > >
                          > > The tricky thing for me is that the level of abstraction in FATE is higher
                          > > than the source material (Alternity). Sandmen have a ton of abilities
                          > > related to their machine nature that I'm trying to distill down to the FATE
                          > > way of doing things.
                          > >
                          > I'd just use Aspects for most of that, yeah. If part of their ability is in
                          > gear, give them Have a Thing and put an aspect on that for an extra scope to
                          > tag from.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Brad Murray (halfjack)
                          > VSCA Publishing

                        • mgagan1
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 9, 2009
                            A little tangential, but SotC had more Skills than most of the Fate/Fudge hacks I was familiar with and Diaspora has even more! Diaspora has a LOT of skills!

                            Our group is starting up character creation this weekend (Cluster creation last session - SO much fun!), and I commented that at an absolute maximum, our 3 PCs will collectively be Superb, Great, or Good at only 18 of these 36 skills. And each one of us will have some level of aptitude in only 15 of the 36 skills. Not something I mind at all, but I thought it was interesting.

                            My Fate/Fudge hacks have had 12 to 25 skills, weighted towards the 25 end. Some of those hacks peak starting PCs at Great or even Good, but still...

                            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

                            > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...>wrote:
                            >
                            > > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > >> Oh, yeah, *huh*. I had missed that requirement, and I don't, admittedly,
                            > >> get it.
                            > >>
                            > > I'm not sure it needs to be there. It's reads to me as one of our less
                            > > deliberate design choices.
                            > >

                            > Correcting myself on review of my notes -- it was in fact very deliberate.
                            > In Diaspora any skill that is not in your pyramid is checked at -2 rather
                            > than zero. This means that if swap a skill operates on skills outside your
                            > pyramid, it elevates them by a minimum of five ranks, which is (very)
                            > disproportionate with the effect on a skill already in your pyramid. As
                            > there are relatively few skills in Diaspora, we also wanted the un-choices
                            > to be defining -- a character is described by the skills that didn't get
                            > into the pyramid as well as those that did -- and so we felt that
                            > swap-a-skill garnered "obvious" application (you would only apply it to
                            > skill outside your pyramid because the effects is so much greater there)
                            > that was contrary to theme.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Brad Murray (halfjack)
                            > VSCA Publishing

                          • Brad Murray
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 9, 2009
                              On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM, mgagan1 <mgagan1@...> wrote:
                               A little tangential, but SotC had more Skills than most of the Fate/Fudge hacks I was familiar with and Diaspora has even more! Diaspora has a LOT of skills!

                              True enough. One project I'm working on right now has 7 skills and a pyramid of 6, allowing you to define the character by her primary talent and her primary deficiency, and the rest sort of falls into place. Choose two hobbies and the rest is automatic.

                              --
                              Brad Murray (halfjack)
                              VSCA Publishing
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 10, 2009

                                Our group is starting up character creation this weekend (Cluster creation last session - SO much fun!), and I commented that at an absolute maximum, our 3 PCs will collectively be Superb, Great, or Good at only 18 of these 36 skills. And each one of us will have some level of aptitude in only 15 of the 36 skills. Not something I mind at all, but I thought it was interesting.

                                My Fate/Fudge hacks have had 12 to 25 skills, weighted towards the 25 end. Some of those hacks peak starting PCs at Great or even Good, but still...

                                This was part of the design intentions. With 36 skills (more, since profession multiplies infinitely) you end up untrained in over half of everything (3/4 of everything for 3-cap characters). Even that is generous by "real life" standards, but these are heroes --

                                At various points the list was up into the 40s, but we pulled it back, and when we thought of something not obviously falling under one of the skills (demolitions and stealth leaping to mind as good in-game skills that are somewhat specialized for the overall scope) we had to make a call about whether (a) it cold be thought of as a MG skill, (b) whether it could be folded into something, (c) whether other things could be folded into each other (as eventually happened with repair and vehicle), and (d) whether it would be FUN to play a character with this as her pinnacle.

                                By keeping characters just below the 50% competency mark, and (additionally) having the lack of proficiency be at -1 (rather than at 0, so that training gave you an implicit +2 to rolls, same as an aspect), we also hoped that there would be pressures towards group teamwork.

                                Hope this helps.
                              • blowstertag
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 10, 2009
                                  Here's an update based on the feedback.

                                  - Sandmen infiltrators
                                  - Skills
                                  - 3: Resolve
                                  - 2: Stamina, Computers
                                  - 1: Brawling, Slug Throwers, Stealth
                                  - Stunts
                                  - Hot Running: Sandmen may sustain up to four consequences
                                  before being taken out. The fourth is another mild
                                  consequence.
                                  - Structural Support: integral armor Def 2
                                  - Aspects
                                  - Blood Music
                                  - Electrical components
                                  - Biomorphic kinesis
                                  - Stress tracks
                                  - Health: 4
                                  - Composure: 5
                                • blowstertag
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 10, 2009
                                    Brad, I just noticed that on p.93, the sample character Quantii has a stunt ("Can you do the paperwork for me?") that lets her use Charm for Bureaucracy at level 3. However, she does not have Bureaucracy.

                                    Ha! ;)

                                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

                                    > Correcting myself on review of my notes -- it was in fact very deliberate.
                                    > In Diaspora any skill that is not in your pyramid is checked at -2 rather
                                    > than zero. This means that if swap a skill operates on skills outside your
                                    > pyramid, it elevates them by a minimum of five ranks, which is (very)
                                    > disproportionate with the effect on a skill already in your pyramid. As
                                    > there are relatively few skills in Diaspora, we also wanted the un-choices
                                    > to be defining -- a character is described by the skills that didn't get
                                    > into the pyramid as well as those that did -- and so we felt that
                                    > swap-a-skill garnered "obvious" application (you would only apply it to
                                    > skill outside your pyramid because the effects is so much greater there)
                                    > that was contrary to theme.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Brad Murray (halfjack)
                                    > VSCA Publishing

                                  • Brad Murray
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 10, 2009
                                      On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM, blowstertag <buzz@...> wrote:

                                      Brad, I just noticed that on p.93, the sample character Quantii has a stunt ("Can you do the paperwork for me?") that lets her use Charm for Bureaucracy at level 3. However, she does not have Bureaucracy.

                                      Ha! ;)

                                      Ha indeed! You have revealed our dark secret -- Diaspora was several years in development and changed substantially over that time. The sample characters in that section date from at least a year before publication -- I'm surprised we got as much *right* as we did when scouring them for inconsistencies. :D

                                      Thanks for that -- I'll add it to the errata. After I figure out what exactly the error really is. :D

                                      --
                                      Brad Murray (halfjack)
                                      VSCA Publishing
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 10, 2009
                                        On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM, blowstertag <buzz@...> wrote:

                                        Brad, I just noticed that on p.93, the sample character Quantii has a stunt ("Can you do the paperwork for me?") that lets her use Charm for Bureaucracy at level 3. However, she does not have Bureaucracy.

                                        Thinking about this more in light of your find, it seems likely (memory fades with age and scotch) that we had two mechanisms competing:

                                        a) Swap a skill gives you skill A at skill B rank with no limit, but skill A has to be in your pyramid, and
                                        b) Swap a skill gives you skill A at skill B rank limited to rank 3, and skill A does not need to be in your pyramid

                                        Sounds like we erroneously published the union of the constraints, which doesn't feel right. It's flagged for review. You should play it however seems fun.

                                        --
                                        Brad Murray (halfjack)
                                        VSCA Publishing
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 11, 2009
                                          On Nov 10, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

                                          On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM, blowstertag <buzz@...> wrote:

                                          Brad, I just noticed that on p.93, the sample character Quantii has a stunt ("Can you do the paperwork for me?") that lets her use Charm for Bureaucracy at level 3. However, she does not have Bureaucracy.

                                          Thinking about this more in light of your find, it seems likely (memory fades with age and scotch) that we had two mechanisms competing:

                                          a) Swap a skill gives you skill A at skill B rank with no limit, but skill A has to be in your pyramid, and
                                          b) Swap a skill gives you skill A at skill B rank limited to rank 3, and skill A does not need to be in your pyramid

                                          Sounds like we erroneously published the union of the constraints, which doesn't feel right. It's flagged for review. You should play it however seems fun.

                                          "Level 3 or three levels above the skill being replaced" seems a good compromise.

                                          -Bill Hamilton
                                        • blowstertag
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 11, 2009
                                            Noted. Thanks for your responsiveness!