Re: [FateRPG] Divine Favor

  • Mike Holmes
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
      For "divine" magic that has a very different flavor from most RPG games, yet
      seems more like magic as defined in the real world or literature, I can only
      recommend emulating Hero Quest's systems.

      For example, for "deistic" magic, which would encompass most of what I
      think's being evoked here, each diety would simply have a number of
      Affinities that the player could take as Aspects. In Hero Quest, with a
      devoted character, these can then produce what's called "Feats" which
      translate into specific powers. Outside of that, the Aspect can be used to
      "improvise" any effect that relates to it with a small penalty - for FATE,
      I'd suggest this as a rationalization for the use of a reroll or using the
      Aspect directly.

      Thus, if the character was involved in a religion with some God of War, they
      might have available to them Combat, Strength, and Toughness. Another war
      God might have Mobility, Skill, and Tactics. Whatever best exemplifies the
      God's personality, etc. The player simply takes these as Aspects, with
      appropriate Skills underneath to represent actual skills or magical feats
      learned from the Affinity.

      So a character worshipping the "strong" war god above could use their Combat
      Affinity to generate some magic effect in combat that would translate as a
      re-roll for the character. Or, if say they relied on their Swordsmanship
      skill a lot, and lost their sword, they might be able to use the Combat
      Affinity to pick up a spear and use that at the level of the Affinity. Or,
      maybe, under the strength Affinity the character has a "Smite with Fists"
      feat that allows him to smash an opponent as though he had a weapon
      (eliminating the opponent's "Superior weaponry" bonus, or giving you one in
      a fistfight). In another situation a "Turn Blow with Flesh" feat under
      Toughness could be important.

      The fun part, is, of course, that the player can probably be enlisted to
      come up with some of this stuff, ensuring that they're interested in their
      character's abilites.

      For Animism (shamen, etc), the character takes Spirits as NPC Aspects in
      some fashion to represent the spirit's association with the character.

      For "Wizardry", the monothesistic religion that exists alongside these
      others, you take adherence to some order devoted to some saint, or become an
      Adept who studies particular Grimoires. These Aspects then have particular
      spells beneath them related to the Aspect that the character can develop as
      individual Skills.

      One thing that I really like is that these abilities are, to an extent,
      divorced from occupations. That is, one can learn divine Affinities and
      feats if they are warriors, or merchant's whatever. Making "paladin"
      characters or any sort of combination natural. Sure one can be a priest of
      the religion, but that gives it's own set of skills to the character in
      addition to whatever magic they learn from it. Priests probably have better
      access to learning, but any character with the right explanation can have
      the magic associated with the religion. Some religions might restrict
      learning learning magic to priests - but that's on a case by case basis.
      Again, each religion is customized. Some religions wouldn't have priests at
      all (think gods of merchants, or thieves, etc).

      This is a very simplified explanation of the system, and if you know Hero
      Quest better, you can implement it in a more detailed fashion. But it gives
      you an idea of how you can make religious magic seem more devoted to the
      particular religions. One thing that I always found backwards was the idea
      that "clerics" all had the same spells more or less, no matter what god they
      worshipped. The HQ system assumes that every religion has only the abilities
      that make sense for the god in question, and are tailored directly to that
      god (spirit, saint, whathaveyou). Which I can't help but feel is eminently
      superior to the old "cleric" model. So I can only recommend looking into
      this sort of implementation for FATE.

      Mike

      Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work � and
      yourself. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx