If I have Starblazer Adventures, will SotC give me anything new?

  • Robert Grant Erswell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2009
      I bought Starblazer Adventures to check out the FATE system primarily and I have come to absolutely love it!

      But from what I can ascertain Starblazers has everything Spirit of the Century does and more, so apart from getting the FATE rules in a handy digest size, will buying and reading SotC provide me with anything useful?

      I asked the same question on a thread on RPG.net and it seems SotC has some good GM advice, but does it provide anything extra for the pulp genre - setting info? NPCs? Equipement?

      Your input is appreciated!
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
        Robert Grant Erswell wrote:
        > But from what I can ascertain Starblazers has everything Spirit of the Century does and more, so apart from getting the FATE rules in a handy digest size, will buying and reading SotC provide me with anything useful?
        >
        > I asked the same question on a thread on RPG.net and it seems SotC has some good GM advice, but does it provide anything extra for the pulp genre - setting info? NPCs? Equipement?
        If those are the metrics by which you're measuring "useful", then I'd
        say no.

        Fred
      • Stuart Broz
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
          "Good GM advice" is an understatement.

          The advice in SotC is all geared toward the pulp genre, and it is some of the best I've ever read... and I'm the type who generally skips over those sections of books.

          There are some sample PCs and NPCs. There are some sample gadgets. Mostly, though, it tells you how to make your own totally awesome creations. Setting-wise, it is much the same: it tells you more about the tropes of pulp than about specific setting details (with a few exceptions)... but this is good.

          If you want to run a pulp game, you should definitely give it a look. It is like a step-by-step guide on how to run awesome pulp adventures.

          -Stuart

        • douglaedtke@att.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
            Fred is too modest.

            SotC comes with a giant slathering of brilliantsauce in terms of GM advice, how to apply the nuances of FATE to given situations and some much more... much... much less specifically crunchy subsystems. I like Starblazers a lot -- don't get me wrong -- but I think there is a great deal of value in Spirit of the Century. I seems to me to provide a broader brush with which to paint sweeping pulp adventures.

            Now, true, there are not heaps of weapons/NPCs/background material. But to me the FATE implementation in SotC gives you some nifty abstractions and captures a less gear-intensive flavor. I really embraced the idea in my fantasy hack of FATE, but I am the first to admit it's not to everyone's taste. Some people like more sim. But, to me, as much as I *love* Chris's take on rock-n-roll SciFi, I find that I keep going back to the original for inspiration.

            -------------- Original message from Fred Hicks <evilhat@...>: --------------

            Robert Grant Erswell wrote:
            > But from what I can ascertain Starblazers has everything Spirit of the Century does and more, so apart from getting the FATE rules in a handy digest size, will buying and reading SotC provide me with anything useful?
            >
            > I asked the same question on a thread on RPG.net and it seems SotC has some good GM advice, but does it provide anything extra for the pulp genre - setting info? NPCs? Equipement?
            If those are the metrics by which you're measuring "useful", then I'd
            say no.

            Fred

          • Grant Erswell
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
              Thanks for the replies, I am leaning towards getting SotC for the GM advice, having the FATE rules in a digest size and also so I can fully understand most FATE discussions (as they seem to be based on SotC).

              Cheers!
            • Declan Feeney
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
                I have to disagree with Fred who is being far to modest.

                I love Spirit of the Century and I love Starblazer Adventures, but if someone put a gun to my head tomorrow and told me I either had to burn all my copies of SotC or my copies of Starblazer Adventures, then Starblazers Adventures would burn.

                SotC wins over SA in three key areas.

                1) Quality - Spirit of the Century isn't all 99/100 material, but in my opinion from cover to cover I don't think it ever dips below the 95% perfect mark, whilst Starblazer swings quite far from this lofty goal. There isn't anything 'bad' in SA - but its not the same standard.
                2) Conciseness - When playing Spirit of the Century there's not a lot of fat to cut. You could possibly drop stunts, you might use the faster conflict system from the wiki, but that's about it. Everything else needs to be there, and all the subsystems actually feed off each other to improve the gaming experience. SA actually has subsystems which don't work together easily, rules which appear at least slightly contradictory, and rules which add absolutely nothing you couldn't get just using the existing SotC rules. In fact work your way through SA and ask yourself in each chapter - could I have just replaced this rule with an aspect and you'll be surprised how often the answer is yes.
                3) Incredible GM advice - In the designers notes for SA Chris says: "I foolishly imagined I could edit the original Fate rules down to fit inside a reasonable sized book alongside all the new material...Even so I managed to pull together the best bits". He's dead wrong. He cut the best bit completely. Not a word of the great GM advice got into SA.
                4) It fits in my backpack and it doesn't weigh a ton - This is really important. My copy of SotC (one of my copies anyway) has been around Europe, across the USA, into South America and to South East Asia. Its been to every roleplaying convention I've been to since I bought it, and it often travels to work and back with me.

                Now I could make a list of reasons why SA is better. There's a lot of them, but I still prefer SotC. I view SotC as a consise well written set of core rules and SA as a monster toolkit of optional rules I can dip into as and when I need.

                Cheers,

                Declan

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

                > > I asked the same question on a thread on RPG.net and it seems SotC has some good GM advice, but does it provide anything extra for the pulp genre - setting info? NPCs? Equipement?
                > If those are the metrics by which you're measuring "useful", then I'd
                > say no.
                >
                > Fred
              • Alan Kohler
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
                  Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not big on point buy and I'm
                  not sure I like the convention of "-1 fate point per stunt", so those are
                  two things (skill pyramid and generous stunts) I tend to keep from SotC when
                  doing my own FATE hacks.

                  -Alan

                  >I bought Starblazer Adventures to check out the FATE system primarily and I
                  >have come to absolutely love it!
                  >
                  > But from what I can ascertain Starblazers has everything Spirit of the
                  > Century does and more, so apart from getting the FATE rules in a handy
                  > digest size, will buying and reading SotC provide me with anything useful?
                  >
                  > I asked the same question on a thread on RPG.net and it seems SotC has
                  > some good GM advice, but does it provide anything extra for the pulp
                  > genre - setting info? NPCs? Equipement?
                  >
                  > Your input is appreciated!

                • Grant Erswell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
                    To be fair, the point buy and pyramid aren't mutually exclusive, I tend to use the pyramid as default. The point buy method does allow incremental character improvement though.

                    Fair point about the refresh rates though.