Stunts

  • gnosistika
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
      can some one help me and explain stunts and aspects? Yes a very numb question, but my group and have been playing an it came up when designing characters....
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
        gnosistika wrote:
        > can some one help me and explain stunts and aspects? Yes a very numb question, but my group and have been playing an it came up when designing characters....

        You'll have to be a lot more specific than that.

        Fred
      • Rob Rendell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
          gnosistika wrote:
          >can some one help me and explain stunts and aspects? Yes a very numb question,
          >but my group and have been playing an it came up when designing
          characters....

          Since you mention stunts, I assume you're playing Spirit of the Century?

          Aspects are explained extensively in the SotC rules in their own chapter
          (starting on page 33). I'm pretty sure I can't do a better job of
          explaining them than the text of that chapter.

          Stunts took me a while to come around to really understanding.
          Superficially, they grant all sorts of random "always-on" abilities that
          your character enjoys, and are detailed in their own chapter in the SotC
          rules starting on page 115.

          When I first read SotC, stunts felt at odds to the Fate 2.0 way of doing
          things to me. Since then, however, various things I've read[1] have
          finally gotten the idea through my thick skull of what Stunts are:
          they're cool things that anyone with appropriate aspects could
          reasonably do by spending a Fate Point, locked down to allow whoever has
          that stunt to do that cool thing over and over as a shtick *without*
          having to spend a Fate Point. You're sacrificing versatility for
          repeatability.

          The example that really drove the point home for me was the racial
          aspects in Spirit of Swords and Sorcery: the only mechanical effect of
          being a Dragon is a single racial aspect, "Dragon". To do dragon-like
          things, you can spend a Fate Point to invoke the aspect to fly, or
          breath fire, or shape-shift into human form, or various other dragon-y
          things. This worked for me as a racial aspect: it was *possible* for
          you to do these cool things that a regular human character couldn't, but
          the requirement to spend a Fate Point each time you wanted to do one of
          those things meant that it was limited in its frequency.

          And then I got to the stunts for Dragons, and there was a stunt that
          mean that you could fly without spending a FP, one which allowed you to
          breathe fire without spending a FP, one for shape-shifting with the FP.
          Suddenly, I grokked what all the stunts in SotC were about: as I said
          above, cool things that your character probably *could* do by spending a
          FP, but because you want it to be one of the defining shticks of your
          character, you spend one of your stunts to be able to do it over and
          over without the FP.

          Hope that helped.

          [1] Things that I read which helped me come to my understanding of
          stunts: discussions on this list, reading Rob Donoghue's "Going
          Stuntless" article and the conversion "Spirit of Swords and Sorcery"
          (both of which are in the Files section of the yahoo group) and
          discussions of how buying Stunts reduces your refresh (the number of
          Fate Points you start the session with) in the Dresden Files RPG.

          --
          Have fun,
          Rob Rendell.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
            gnosistika

            > can some one help me and explain stunts and aspects?

            Stunts are typically specialized powers, with specific rules.

            Aspects are very free form -- they can be personality traits,
            motivations, backstory, equipment, social rank, or other bits of
            character (or scene) info that don't fall neatly into a predefined
            ability. (Although free form, there are rules to *use* them.)

            David Dunham
          • gnosistika
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
              Thanks Guys!

              Nope,saw stunts on the wikki and wanted to incorperate them in our Mage Awakening cronicle. But i did mess with them last night and David's comment helped.

              Fred i was looking for a explanation between the differences between them. Any more clarification would be apreciated by any one.

              I cant remember the last time i had so much fun with a game system. Fate is great.
            • David Dunham
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
                > Nope,saw stunts on the wikki and wanted to incorperate them in our
                > Mage Awakening cronicle. But i did mess with them last night and
                > David's comment helped.

                Ah, so you don't have SotC? You should. While you're waiting for your
                copy to arrive (and for your players's benefit), there's an online
                version: http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html

                David Dunham