Re: [FateRPG] Skills Per Session

  • Greg McIntyre
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2003
      "Mike Holmes" <homeydont@...> wrote:
      > The standard metagame attendance reward is still a pretty good idea,
      > IMO.

      After a game of Wraith which lasted longer than a year, in which the GM
      gave out "attendance" experience only (except in rare circumstances of
      exceptional roleplaying ;]), I can say that it generally doesn't hurt
      the game. Most people attend most games and over time it averages out
      such that they advance at roughly the same pace, such that there's no
      relative difference in their power (except due to imbalances in the
      rules and applicability to situations encountered). Those which don't
      attend very often simply become NPCs and are "guest played" by the
      player whenever they choose to show up, so their advancement becomes
      subject to GM discretion.

      > Depends on the group. But it probably can't hurt. Hmmm. Maybe I can
      > give out fractional FP on a per post basis....

      Might favour frequent small posts over large long ones (which may be
      what you want, I don't know).

      --
      Greg McIntyre ======[ greg@... ]===[ http://puyo.cjb.net ]===
    • Mike Holmes
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2003
        >From: Greg McIntyre <puyo@...>
        > > Depends on the group. But it probably can't hurt. Hmmm. Maybe I can
        > > give out fractional FP on a per post basis....
        >
        >Might favour frequent small posts over large long ones (which may be
        >what you want, I don't know).

        Good point. I do prefer longer posts. So that would mean that I have to
        count words now? ;-)

        I was sorta being facetious. I think I'll have to use a more subjective
        method. I'm actually pretty committed to it relating to how much plot has
        been processed (hence talking in terms of scenes, previously). Which, I
        guess, means that it'll have to stay fairly subjective.

        Mike

        Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos,
        and more here. http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx
      • Darren Hill
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2003
          From: "Mike Holmes" <homeydont@...>
          > >From: Greg McIntyre <puyo@...>
          > > > Depends on the group. But it probably can't hurt. Hmmm. Maybe I can
          > > > give out fractional FP on a per post basis....
          > >
          > >Might favour frequent small posts over large long ones (which may be
          > >what you want, I don't know).
          >
          > Good point. I do prefer longer posts. So that would mean that I have to
          > count words now? ;-)

          Damn, that was going to be next suggestion. Though 1 skill point per word
          might seem to some as a little generous I think it would be okay for Mike's
          game (not that I have a vested interest or anything).

          Darren
        • countercycle
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 2, 2003
            I can

            > > >Might favour frequent small posts over large long ones (which
            may be
            > > >what you want, I don't know).
            > >
            > > Good point. I do prefer longer posts. So that would mean that I
            have to
            > > count words now? ;-)
            >
            > Damn, that was going to be next suggestion. Though 1 skill point
            per word
            > might seem to some as a little generous I think it would be okay
            for Mike's
            > game (not that I have a vested interest or anything).
            >
            > Darren

            The real problem with that suggestion is that if you're the least bit
            wordy, every post you write ends with you taking over the world.