New take on 2/4/6 system (I think)

  • Bill Burdick
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2009
      The tweak is that you can convert a failure into a success using a consequence: http://groups.google.com/group/fsharprpg/web/consequences It works well in F# (where it's 1/2/3 instead of 2/4/6). Only the players roll the dice in F#, though (no opposed rolls), so I don't know how well it transfers to SotC or Dresden.

      Bill
    • Leonard Balsera
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2009
        On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Bill Burdick <bill.burdick@...> wrote:
        > The tweak is that you can convert a failure into a success using a
        > consequence: http://groups.google.com/group/fsharprpg/web/consequences It
        > works well in F# (where it's 1/2/3 instead of 2/4/6). Only the players roll
        > the dice in F#, though (no opposed rolls), so I don't know how well it
        > transfers to SotC or Dresden.

        Did we chat about that at some point off-list? 'Cause that's
        remarkably similar to something I'm going to have in my Fate
        conversion of Levi Kornelsen's 'The Cog Wars'.

        If we didn't, hey, parallel development... frickin' awesome.

        -L
      • Bill Burdick
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2009
          You mentioned working on Cog Wars, but not this mechanic. Could have saved me some trouble, there! But hey, the fact that you came up with it too is very encouraging to me; you know how I love to reality check my ideas, even though I'll happily keep using mechanisms you don't like :).

          Actually, what led me to the idea of using consequences to turn failure into success was the realization that when you succeed in a conflict using the F# RAW, you never end up with a consequence. This didn't sit right with me, because it seemed somehow less heroic than I like in my stories. Heroes ought to get beat up along the way to their success.

          In fairness to F#, you CAN get beat up on the way; if you lose some conflicts, you will probably end up with some consequences, but in an individual conflict, you either win without consequences or you lose with possible consequences. I just wanted the full range of possibilities, because it makes the individual scenes richer.

          Oh, and it's so cool when players volunteer to have their characters beat up. It drips drama.

          We were already using the 1/2/3 system, but just to avoid being taken out. It turned out to be only a small step to allowing players to buy a success with a consequence. It's such a weird thing to aim for -- traditional, blow-for-blow RPGs handle this implicitly. But I think this has a natural feel to it -- it doesn't feel tacked on or anything.

          So now the PCs in my campaign can enjoy consequences during their successes! What joy!

          Bill