RE: [FateRPG] Fate + PDQ

  • Manveru
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2009
      -----Original Message-----
      From: FateRPG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FateRPG@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      clamshellninja
      Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:22 AM
      To: FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FateRPG] Fate + PDQ

      Hi, I was thinking about starting a Starblazer game, but I also want
      to use some ideas from some PDQ (Prose Descriptive Qualities) games,
      such as Zorcerer of Zo and Truth and Justice. I was wondering if
      anyone tried to combine the two systems and how compatible are they?
      ocs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2009
        On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM, clamshellninja <bennehring@...> wrote:
        > Hi, I was thinking about starting a Starblazer game, but I also want
        > to use some ideas from some PDQ (Prose Descriptive Qualities) games,
        > such as Zorcerer of Zo and Truth and Justice. I was wondering if
        > anyone tried to combine the two systems and how compatible are they?

        The man to talk to here is Bill Burdick - he's been running hybrid
        PDQ/Fate for some time now. He has a rough outline of his mash-up at
        http://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-pdq-take-1 and
        http://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-pdq-take-2 to get you started, but
        probably he'll show up here now that I have invoked his name.

        I also have a long post somewhere in the mailing list archives about
        mashing up Truth and Justice with Fate, but your mileage may vary
        there, given that I was intensely, intensely drunk when I wrote it.

        Of course, if you have any specific questions, we'll be happy to
        answer them here.

        -Lenny
      • waldop99
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2009
          My soon-to-be released (as in 2009 I hope) Kidz RPG (which does
          adventurous/meddlesome kid type stories ala Scooby Doo or the Goonies)
          is using a system I've dubbed PDQ^2 because it incorporates Quirks
          which are essentially the same thing as Aspects - Qualities are the
          character's "skills or proficiencies" that are largely one-sided
          (i.e., they only give you a bonus to rolls) while Quirks represent
          unusual characteristics or traits which can work for or against a
          character. Where I diverge from FATE is that I have an economy for
          points involving a group pool as well as individual pools. If anyone
          is interested in having a look, the playtest document is done; just
          drop me a private email and I'll send you a copy. Right now I'm just
          in the process of writing the GM/player advice section of the book and
          procuring art.

          Chad's PDQ# also uses something similar though the mechanics are
          different.

          MJ Harnish
          http://rpg.brouhaha.us
        • Bill Burdick
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2009
            Yeah, we did FATE + PDQ for about 9 months (with a 4e break toward the
            end) and enjoyed it a lot. Past tense here not because there's
            anything wrong with FATE + PDQ, but because I just changed locale and
            things are a bit up in the air, game wise.

            I highly recommend the mashup and also heartily recommend mixing in
            Universalis, but it's not required. Take 2 is what we settled on for
            our campaign. Mysterious qualities are powerful, but I don't think
            they're over powered, the roll-range is 7-12 instead of 2-12, so
            they're heavily weighted to a good value, but not outside the normal
            range. I think I got the d6+6 idea from Questers of the Middle Realms
            (but I'm not positive).

            We ended up using most of the PDQ# rules, except that we used the
            combat rules from the PDQ core (dueling didn't work well in our game).
            Rob's Stuntless rules (http://evilhat.wikidot.com/stuntless-rules)
            really helped to mesh PDQ and FATE together. Because of this, we
            recommend allocating 3 of your aspects for stunts.

            Here are a bunch of our Universalis logs. Our latest character record
            sheets are there too, so you can see what they look like (they're all
            smaller than an index card :) ):
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pGuL7SccMEaMRtAH7LMxPbA

            Bill

            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Balsera <lbalsera@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM, clamshellninja <bennehring@...> wrote:
            > > Hi, I was thinking about starting a Starblazer game, but I also want
            > > to use some ideas from some PDQ (Prose Descriptive Qualities) games,
            > > such as Zorcerer of Zo and Truth and Justice. I was wondering if
            > > anyone tried to combine the two systems and how compatible are they?
            >
            > The man to talk to here is Bill Burdick - he's been running hybrid
            > PDQ/Fate for some time now. He has a rough outline of his mash-up at
            > http://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-pdq-take-1 and
            > http://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-pdq-take-2 to get you started, but
            > probably he'll show up here now that I have invoked his name.
            >
            > I also have a long post somewhere in the mailing list archives about
            > mashing up Truth and Justice with Fate, but your mileage may vary
            > there, given that I was intensely, intensely drunk when I wrote it.
            >
            > Of course, if you have any specific questions, we'll be happy to
            > answer them here.
            >

            > -Lenny

          • Robert Stehwien
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2009
              On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM, clamshellninja <bennehring@...> wrote:
              > Hi, I was thinking about starting a Starblazer game, but I also want
              > to use some ideas from some PDQ (Prose Descriptive Qualities) games,
              > such as Zorcerer of Zo and Truth and Justice. I was wondering if
              > anyone tried to combine the two systems and how compatible are they?

              I think they are very compatible. I ran a short supers game using a
              mashup of Truth and Justice and Fate. I essentially used the
              resolution mechanics plus aspects from FATE and the character creation
              system plus stunts from T&J. Worked out pretty well and took the
              parts of both systems I like and discarded the parts I don't. While I
              love character creation in T&J, I don't like its action and damage
              resolution (and particularly don't like combining qualities). At the
              same time I like aspects, action resolution, consequences, fate
              points, etc from Fate but dislike the pyramid (and just prefer the
              loose categories of qualities and having a superpower system from
              T&J).

              Some people prefer taking parts of Fate and bringing them into PDQ's
              resolution system while others might go the other way like I did. It
              is all good.

              --Robert

              PS: I'd pay good money to have someone write a supers game in Fate
              that was inspired by T&J (so it would be more complete and easier to
              just have my players buy one set of rules). T&J had just the right
              feel for character creation and powers for me (as did Marvel Saga or
              older Marvel Superheroes) where most people who make a Fate/Fudge
              supers game try to emulate the complexity of the Hero or Mutants and
              Masterminds system for some reason.
            • wilmanric@cox.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 13, 2009
                I'd love to see a copy!

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 13, 2009
                  Oh, good point -- we (the other GM and I) came to the same conclusion
                  about combat and switched to FATE's stress/consequence system. I
                  really like having an aspect to represent damage in a specific way.

                  Bill