Re: Ran my first FATE game...

  • Joshua OKelley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2008
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Lizard <lizard@...> wrote:

      > A few comments:
      > a)It seems REALLY hard to take people out, or even cause
      Consequences.
      > We had one Minor consequence in the entire game, and there was a lot
      of
      > fighting.
      >
      > b)How many Fate points should NPCs get?
      >
      > c)Players began to burn Fate points like mad towards the end of the
      > session, since they knew they'd be refreshed next game. I'm not sure
      > like this behavior. :)

      A) There are options for dealing with this problem discussed
      elsewhere, and a few options up on the wiki. http://evilhat.wikidot.com/faster-conflicts

      B) I pass. This seems like it has a lot a lot to do with individual
      preference, and I don't have a very good grasp of it myself.

      C) Encourage them to use them more often during the session, then.
      Run a combat some time where a powerful adversary is throwing them
      around like candy, just to prove how much it can hurt.

      Alternately (or in addition to that), increase the level of difficulty
      for tasks, though this is best for a crescendo of a session, which is
      less like solving the problem and more like rolling with it. Whatever
      works, though.

      Help at all?
    • David Boshko
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2008
        A. In default SotC rules it is pretty damn hard to hurt anyone you can deal with this by:
        1. Tweaking the damage rules a bit.
        2. Realizing that to at least some extent this is a feature not a bug and that it is very hard to really hurt anyone by doing just doing attack/attack/attack/attack. What you really need to hurt someone is to stack up a big pile of Aspects through Maneuvers and whatnot and then hit them with them all at once and blow right past the stress track right on to consequences.
        3. A bit of both.

        B. As many as necessary, or figure out how important the SCENE is and give the opposition that many points for the scene. Also in a lot of situations (especially ambushes) you want the opposition to have maneuvers that are already set up and ready to tag for free.

        C. I think that's a good thing, makes the climax seem climactic. After all, it's always the climax when you see the yippie kay yay Aspect broken out in Die Hard...
      • Hans
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2008
          As to conflicts and how hard it is to actually hurt someone. In my
          experience conflicts almost always end with concessions, not actual
          taken out results. Concessions can be painful, especially if the
          alternative is playing a few more rounds and being taken out, where
          your fate is totally out of your hands. Also, as the GM, make sure
          you compel people like crazy on consequences. They chose them, so
          they are asking for the hurt from them.

          One quick rule note based on David's "pile on the tags" tactic:
          technically you can only use one free tag from
          Assessments/Declarations per roll. I don't have the page number
          handy, but the rule is in the last paragraph of section 5.1 in the
          SRD, here...

          http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html#assessment-and-declaration

          Which raises a question...do people apply this rule to ALL free tags,
          or just those from assessments/declarations? I realized after
          reading this that I had been applying it to all free tags, but maybe
          am wrong to do so. It seems to say that Maneuvers/Consequence aspect
          free tags can be piled on like crazy.