Update on Diaspora: a harder sf Fate

  • Brad Murray
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 13, 2008
      Well we've got a solid couple of playtests of the cluster and world
      generation and last session we did a complete "prep" session: build a
      cluster and build characters in it. The results look pretty good, so
      my eyes are wandering to the usual favourite of any sf, hard or
      otherwise -- the equipment list.

      My mind is still, I find, a little ossified around the Traveller idiom
      for gear, so I can't get "gauss rifle" and "fusion gun" out of my
      head. I could use your help -- help me brainstorm weapon systems for a
      hard-ish sf game. I'm thinking of weapons with highly practical,
      mission-directed features. Weapons that exist because someone ordered
      a million of them to outfit the infantry or space marines or border
      patrols. My initial thinking is that, for most purposes, throwing a
      slug mass at the enemy is the most efficient way of accomplishing
      combat objectives, but the rules change a little in space -- with no
      atmosphere and no gravity, lasers look pretty useful.

      So, if you're keen, give it a go! I promise you nothing but credit,
      and not Traveller credits at that. Just a nod and a thanks in tiny
      print.

      Diaspora main page: <http://www.phreeow.net/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Diaspora>
      Prep playtest page:
      <http://www.phreeow.net/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Diaspora%3A%20character%20snippets>

      --
      Brad Murray (halfjack)

      All the money's gone -- nowhere to go.
      But oh that magic feeling -- nowhere to go.
    • Lisa Steele
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 13, 2008
        I had an SF character in a GURPS space setting that was found of a crossbow
        for sniping -- zero energy signature or emissions for bad guys to pick up
        before the arrow hit.

      • bachelornewtling
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 13, 2008
          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Murray" <bjmurray.halfjack@...>
          wrote:

          > I could use your help -- help me brainstorm weapon systems for a
          > hard-ish sf game. I'm thinking of weapons with highly practical,
          > mission-directed features. Weapons that exist because someone
          ordered
          > a million of them to outfit the infantry or space marines or border
          > patrols. My initial thinking is that, for most purposes, throwing a
          > slug mass at the enemy is the most efficient way of accomplishing
          > combat objectives, but the rules change a little in space -- with no
          > atmosphere and no gravity, lasers look pretty useful.

          Indeed, fast moving mass is probably the best weapon, lasers need
          lots of power and a tight aim. look at missiles and Metalstorm for
          high tech anti-armour and anti-personell. If you've not ever looked
          at Metalsotrm, do, it is an awesome technology, a great idea
          reimagnining area denial, anti-armour and personell. I watched a
          video a while back of a metalsorm weapon litterally cutting a tank in
          half. It's as scary as hell which is why the US military put so much
          money into it. It looks like developments from metalstorm will
          probably replace phalanx and patriot defence systems too.

          Metalstorm smallarms also are looking to include biometric readers
          into handgrips to stop unauthorised use of weapons without serious
          downtime for reprograming, stopping the enemy from infield use of
          fallen weapons.

          Bach.
        • John Powell
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 14, 2008
            > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Murray" <bjmurray.halfjack@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I could use your help -- help me brainstorm weapon systems for a
            > > hard-ish sf game. I'm thinking of weapons with highly practical,
            > > mission-directed features. Weapons that exist because someone
            > ordered
            > > a million of them to outfit the infantry or space marines or border
            > > patrols. My initial thinking is that, for most purposes, throwing a
            > > slug mass at the enemy is the most efficient way of accomplishing
            > > combat objectives, but the rules change a little in space -- with no
            > > atmosphere and no gravity, lasers look pretty useful.

            Here's an interesting article on possible non-lethal weapon systems:

            http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.02/nonlethal_pr.html

            [excerpt]
            "The entire concept of national security has changed," Alexander declares. "Therefore, you
            need other sorts of force options." If the ideas circulating around the nation's top-secret
            weapons labs pan out, the nonlethal arsenal of the millennium could include such exotic
            "force options" as electromagnetic pulse generators and high-powered microwaves, which
            would short out communication systems and fry electronics. Computer viruses would
            infiltrate and paralyze banking networks and command-and-control operations. Aircraft-
            targeting sensors could fall prey to "demons," directed-energy munitions that emit flashes
            of light brighter than the sun. Clouds of combustion-inhibiting chemicals would choke
            engines, stopping tanks and troop carriers in their tracks, while metal-eating microbes
            and super-caustic chemicals would eat away at their armor. Enemy soldiers might be
            confused by holographic projections, dazzled by laser rifles, or disoriented by low-
            frequency acoustic beams that provoke vomiting and diarrhea. And if being blinded and
            humiliated isn't enough to sap their will, they could find themselves trapped in stinging
            nets or glued in place by ultrasticky foams.

            Cheers!

            John Powell
          • Brad Murray
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 14, 2008
              On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Lisa Steele <steelelaw@...> wrote:
              > I had an SF character in a GURPS space setting that was found of a crossbow
              > for sniping -- zero energy signature or emissions for bad guys to pick up
              > before the arrow hit.

              A cool idea! I think that weapons that have some special
              characteristic like this (even if it's because the weapon is
              repurposed by the player character) are best handled by letting
              weapons have an Aspect. Mostly in Diaspora (SotFF) we handle the
              commno cases mechanically -- lethality scales by rating damage from 1
              to 3, penetration scales with a penetration modifier that degrades the
              target's armour Defense bonus, and accuracy scales by having or not an
              accuracy bonus (a kind of always-on aspect). But your example
              highlights the more interesting case -- what about when players find
              something the game didn't antcipate (which in my experience is a lot
              what happens and why Fate shines so brightly).

              That's probably worth stating explicitly in our equipment section I
              think. Thanks for tricking me into thinking about it! :D

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 14, 2008
                On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 7:14 PM, bachelornewtling
                <gungungungungun@...> wrote:
                > Metalstorm smallarms also are looking to include biometric readers
                > into handgrips to stop unauthorised use of weapons without serious
                > downtime for reprograming, stopping the enemy from infield use of
                > fallen weapons.

                Metalstorm is a kind of fading fad with weapons/gaming enthusiasts
                thanks to some frankly awesome video footage and very high ROF
                numbers. Whether or not it's a viable military technology is still up
                in the air -- is anyone buying and deploying it?

                It's certainly cool enough to warrant some kind of entry.

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 14, 2008
                  Let me toss out an underlying question -- how important do you want gear to
                  be? One of the things I like about SotC is the focus on the character. A gun
                  is a gun -- whether it is a vest-pocket derringer or an elephant gun it uses
                  the same skill and the difference is in range, for the most part. What's
                  important is the PC's skill and what aspects can be brought to bear. Same
                  for cars, planes, etc.

                  One of the things I disliked about 2nd Ed. Star Wars (the West End version)
                  was the catalogs of gear that kept coming out and turning the players from
                  Luke and his lightsaber into the walking piles of gear one sees in certain
                  FRPGs.
                • Brad Murray
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 14, 2008
                    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Lisa Steele <steelelaw@...> wrote:
                    > Let me toss out an underlying question -- how important do you want gear to
                    > be? One of the things I like about SotC is the focus on the character. A gun
                    > is a gun -- whether it is a vest-pocket derringer or an elephant gun it uses
                    > the same skill and the difference is in range, for the most part. What's
                    > important is the PC's skill and what aspects can be brought to bear. Same
                    > for cars, planes, etc.

                    Yeah I tend to agree. Part of the draw to sf, though, is the equipment
                    porn, so a balance needs to be struck. In SotFF we created fairly
                    broad categories of weapons with distinct characteristics. It works
                    well in play, I think, satisfying player needs across a broad
                    spectrum.

                    We did not, however, bother detailing any equipment other than weapons
                    and armour -- basically it's only interesting if it's part of the
                    combat subsystem. Similarly, spacecraft are detailed sufficiently to
                    play the space combat subsystem and, we hope, not much more (they need
                    to satisfy the Trade mechanism as well).

                    With Diaspora we'll be sticking to this model because it delivered
                    well for us in SotFF. This is why I think a rule that clearly states
                    "variation on weapons or weapon usage should be handled by adding an
                    Aspect, perhaps free-taggable and perhaps temporary, to an existing
                    weapon type" might be sufficient.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 14, 2008
                      > Yeah I tend to agree. Part of the draw to sf, though, is the equipment
                      > porn, so a balance needs to be struck. In SotFF we created fairly
                      > broad categories of weapons with distinct characteristics. It works
                      > well in play, I think, satisfying player needs across a broad
                      > spectrum.

                      Likely depends on the player and genre -- take a look at say Star Trek
                      (classic), Stargate SG1, and Star Wars (1st movie) for examples of three
                      successful franchises.

                      In Trek, the PCs have three broadly defined gadgets (communicator, phaser,
                      and tricorder) as well as the transporter. For the most part, adventures
                      center around decisions that the viewer can't understand, not technobabble
                      or having the right gadget at the right time.

                      Even in the later movies, Star Wars doesn't get into gadgets. Our heros have
                      light sabers and mysterious force powers, blasters, stunners, and a few
                      other tricks, but not much else.

                      Moving to Stargate, which is a bit "harder" in its tech, for the most part
                      our heros encounter lots of alien stuff, but don't add it to their kit.
                      They've got modern guns, Teal'c's blaster, the stunner pistols, and their
                      radios. Atlantis adds a life-scanner and more portable computers -- but
                      again, very little in the way of equipment.

                      Anyone have some examples outside of military SF where gear is important to
                      the story/book/series/movie?

                      > We did not, however, bother detailing any equipment other than weapons
                      > and armour -- basically it's only interesting if it's part of the
                      > combat subsystem.

                      Let me disagree philosophically again. One of the things I like about SotC
                      is that it has a decent social conflict resolution mode. If you detail
                      combat equipment, it sends the message that combat is important to this
                      setting and equipment key to combat success. If one described in detail
                      scientific, espionage, or crime scene, or even artistic/social
                      gear/customs/etc., that sends a different message about game play.
                    • Brad Murray
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 14, 2008
                        On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Lisa Steele <steelelaw@...> wrote:
                        > Let me disagree philosophically again. One of the things I like about SotC
                        > is that it has a decent social conflict resolution mode. If you detail
                        > combat equipment, it sends the message that combat is important to this
                        > setting and equipment key to combat success. If one described in detail
                        > scientific, espionage, or crime scene, or even artistic/social
                        > gear/customs/etc., that sends a different message about game play.

                        A good philosophy but one that doesn't bear out in actual play in this
                        case. The social systems remain and remain at least as viable as
                        combat. In fact, if anything there is less violence than in our SotC
                        game, perhaps because although both avenues are equally effective,
                        combat is far more lethal.

                        --
                        Brad Murray (halfjack)

                        All the money's gone -- nowhere to go.
                        But oh that magic feeling -- nowhere to go.
                      • Lizard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 15, 2008
                          Lisa Steele wrote:
                          > Let me toss out an underlying question -- how important do you want gear to
                          > be? One of the things I like about SotC is the focus on the character. A gun
                          > is a gun -- whether it is a vest-pocket derringer or an elephant gun it uses
                          > the same skill and the difference is in range, for the most part. What's
                          > important is the PC's skill and what aspects can be brought to bear. Same
                          > for cars, planes, etc.
                          >
                          > One of the things I disliked about 2nd Ed. Star Wars (the West End version)
                          > was the catalogs of gear that kept coming out and turning the players from
                          > Luke and his lightsaber into the walking piles of gear one sees in certain
                          > FRPGs.

                          It should depend on the genre, and the players. "Gun porn" is a real,
                          and for many people (self included) enjoyable aspect of playing RPGs. I
                          strongly dislike the idea that the Holdout Pocket Laser Mark I and the
                          Overkill Zap Blaster (Heavy Man Portable) are "the same gun" if the same
                          character is using them. It pulls me out of the story and slaps me in
                          the face with the gaminess of it. (D&D 4e does this so often that I
                          think it gives me bruises.)

                          "Hard" SF, in particular, pays a lot of attention to hardware.
                        • Bill Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 15, 2008
                            On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Lizard <lizard@...> wrote:
                            > Lisa Steele wrote:
                            >> Let me toss out an underlying question -- how important do you want gear to
                            >> be? One of the things I like about SotC is the focus on the character. A gun
                            >> is a gun -- whether it is a vest-pocket derringer or an elephant gun it uses
                            >> the same skill and the difference is in range, for the most part. What's
                            >> important is the PC's skill and what aspects can be brought to bear. Same
                            >> for cars, planes, etc.
                            >>
                            >> One of the things I disliked about 2nd Ed. Star Wars (the West End version)
                            >> was the catalogs of gear that kept coming out and turning the players from
                            >> Luke and his lightsaber into the walking piles of gear one sees in certain
                            >> FRPGs.
                            >>

                            > It should depend on the genre, and the players. "Gun porn" is a real,
                            > and for many people (self included) enjoyable aspect of playing RPGs. I
                            > strongly dislike the idea that the Holdout Pocket Laser Mark I and the
                            > Overkill Zap Blaster (Heavy Man Portable) are "the same gun" if the same
                            > character is using them. It pulls me out of the story and slaps me in
                            > the face with the gaminess of it. (D&D 4e does this so often that I
                            > think it gives me bruises.)
                            >
                            > "Hard" SF, in particular, pays a lot of attention to hardware.

                            _Some_ hard SF pays attention to the hardware. But "gun porn" isn't
                            necessary to have a hard SF game.

                            Frankly, I think this is why there are so few scifi games out there.
                            Everyone has their own opinion on what should and should not be in a
                            game, and everyone is vocal about it. Authors try so hard to please
                            everyone that they end up pleasing no one, and the game fails.

                            Brad, write the game you want to write, and don't pay attention to
                            anyone who tries to tell you you're doing it wrong.

                            --
                            -Bill Hamilton
                          • Lisa Steele
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 15, 2008
                              > Brad, write the game you want to write, and don't pay attention to
                              > anyone who tries to tell you you're doing it wrong.

                              Agreed. And I'm not saying he's doing it wrong. There isn't a right or
                              wrong. One of the things I like about SotC is the de-emphasis on equipment
                              -- others see that as a problem -- there's no right or wrong answer here.
                              It's like trying to decide whether chocolate ice cream is better than
                              vanilla.

                              On the other hand, when you are designing a game, you can shape the
                              resulting campaigns a great deal with the rules and the equipment. Take a
                              look at Traveller. I've played at least four versions of it -- Classic, TNE,
                              GURPS, and briefly, T20 -- the settings are very similar, but the changes in
                              the rules, and to some extent, in the flavor text, equipment, and sample
                              characters, resulted in very different characters. This was particularly
                              evident when we tried to translate our Classic Traveller characters into
                              GURPS then into T20.

                              I'm just trying to help, not give Brad a hard time. I've tried my hand at
                              game design and writing (and had a few things published for White Wolf and
                              GURPS) -- the playtest feedback was invaluable for seeing how things that I
                              took for granted in my game group translated when applied by other groups.
                            • Brad Murray
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 15, 2008
                                On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Bill Hamilton <billwerk@...> wrote:
                                > Brad, write the game you want to write, and don't pay attention to
                                > anyone who tries to tell you you're doing it wrong.

                                Oh no fear there -- when it comes to the crunch I can be pretty
                                passionate (some would say dictatorial) about how my vision will
                                translate to game. And honestly I think the end result in Diaspora is
                                going to be both more and less. That is, underneath the weapons list
                                in SotFF there is an abstract structure for "creating" weapons and
                                consequently any weapon can be stated in terms of this abstraction
                                rather than as an entry for "Dunarmco MkII Fusion Rifle (Man
                                Portable)". For Diaspora, because the details of the setting are
                                fundamentally player created, it will be more useful to expose the
                                abstraction as the core tool for players and use a specific weapon
                                list as an example rather than as a definitive list. The system is, in
                                keeping with Fate, extremely simple -- there just aren't that many
                                "statistics" for a weapon in SotFF. In Diaspora I think it may come
                                down to a derivation from type and technology level and not much else,
                                but the paint job (adding Aspects perhaps) can get pretty colourful
                                without adding complexity.

                                --
                                Brad Murray (halfjack)

                                All the money's gone -- nowhere to go.
                                But oh that magic feeling -- nowhere to go.
                              • Hans
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 15, 2008
                                  wrote:
                                  > I'm thinking of weapons with highly practical,
                                  > mission-directed features. Weapons that exist because someone
                                  ordered
                                  > a million of them to outfit the infantry or space marines or border
                                  > patrols. My initial thinking is that, for most purposes, throwing a
                                  > slug mass at the enemy is the most efficient way of accomplishing
                                  > combat objectives, but the rules change a little in space -- with no
                                  > atmosphere and no gravity, lasers look pretty useful.

                                  Some thoughts:

                                  * At lower tech levels (pre-useful energy weapons), recoiless rifle-
                                  type weapons (along the Gyrojet direction) seem like the way to go in
                                  zero-g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet
                                  Greg Bear describes weapons of this variety in his novel Eon, if I
                                  remember correctly.

                                  * Its hard to imagine the basic design of the personal military
                                  assault rifle being topped at any role-playable tech level in a game
                                  that intends to be hard SF. You can make incremental improvements
                                  (better targeting, better ammunition, better reliability), but I
                                  can't honestly think of anything that would truly replace it that
                                  wouldn't also entail changes to technology that seem to me darn close
                                  to singularity inducing. The advantages of any alternative would
                                  have to be very compelling in terms of price, reliability, and/or
                                  portability, except as crew-served weapons or vehicle mounted weapons.

                                  * Assuming you want to use personal directed energy weapons anyway
                                  (because, lets face it, they are cool) an important decision would be
                                  whether they are constant output or pulsed in some way. Ubiquitous
                                  continuous output weapons would create a paradigm shift in tactics
                                  similar to that caused by the advent of the machine gun. Larry Niven
                                  has a description of how this might affect tactics in the Ringworld
                                  Engineers (or was it Ringworld?).

                                  * John's message about non-lethal or semi-lethal weapons I think is
                                  very important. This is especially true of the microwave based
                                  weapons such as the Active Denial System, which have both anti-
                                  personnel and anti-material uses. They could certainly result in
                                  changes to personal protective equipment; every military suit might
                                  be required to have a mesh of conductive material to act as microwave
                                  shielding.

                                  * I have always liked the glove used by Donald Hogan in John
                                  Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar (I can't remember its trade name). It
                                  becomes completely rigid when impacted (say, during a punch), but
                                  then become flexible again almost immediately. This would be a
                                  pretty typical item among security/law-enforcement, I suspect,
                                  especially those for whom concealable weaponry is a big plus.
                                • Bill Hamilton
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 15, 2008
                                    On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Hans <skalchemist@...> wrote:

                                    > * I have always liked the glove used by Donald Hogan in John
                                    > Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar (I can't remember its trade name). It
                                    > becomes completely rigid when impacted (say, during a punch), but
                                    > then become flexible again almost immediately. This would be a
                                    > pretty typical item among security/law-enforcement, I suspect,
                                    > especially those for whom concealable weaponry is a big plus.

                                    A form of this actually exists now. I think was developed as
                                    protective equipment for skiers.

                                    --
                                    -Bill Hamilton
                                  • bachelornewtling
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 15, 2008
                                      On Gun porn.

                                      In the game I'm starting, I was toying with the idea of making
                                      equipment quality an issue in the game and having an effect like a
                                      limiting skill, so using a Quality 1 gun would be fine for a novice of
                                      smallarms, but someone with skill 2 or higher would have their skill
                                      penalised because it isn't up to standard. I imagine most guns or other
                                      equipment would be level 3 or so, allowing most serious professionals
                                      to get good use from it, but the best of the best need th e best gear
                                      to get the most from their skills, so olympians and snipers really want
                                      quality 5 gear to shoot with. There are problems with this approach,
                                      but I still think it is worth toying with.

                                      Bach