Free Tags on Consequences?

  • Declan Feeney
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6 2:40 AM

      Should I be allowing free tags on Consequences? Spirit of the Century doesn't seem to specifically address this question however:

      Spirit of the Century p41
            Taggable aspects are sometimes introduced into play as the result of your character's action. This can happen due to a maneuver in a conflict (see page 58), a declaration of a previously nonexistent aspect (see page 83), or the assessment of a target and revelation of one of the target's previously hidden aspects (see page 83).
            Whenever an aspect is introduced into play like this, it's because the character has made some sort of effort to bring it to the fore – he's rolled well on whatever skill check brought the aspect onto the map. Because this is the case, he's earned the right to tag the aspect in question once, without spending a fate point. In this way he's able to turn his previous success into a momentary advantage without it hitting his fate point budget.

      Clearly a Consequence is a "Taggable aspects introduced into play as the result of a character's action, but they aren't on the list (maneuver, declaration or assessment)

      Awesome adventures and Starblazer do however directly address the issue of Consequences. Unfortunately they seem to disagree

      Awesome Adventures  p63
            Consequences never apply any penalties or game effects to the character, however they are often tagged or compelled. More severe consequences open themselves up to more severe compels. Note that unlike Aspects created with maneuvers or other actions, Consequences do not earn a free tag.

      Starblazer Adventures - p220
            But here's the thing about consequences being a special kind of Aspect: As long as the consequences are on the character's sheet, they may be compelled or tagged (or invoked!) like any other Aspect. This also means that opponents may start tagging those Aspects pretty easily, since it's no secret that the consequence Aspects are now on the character's sheet! Not to mention, as per the free Tag rule (page 92), the first Tag on each consequence is free in the scene where the consequence is inflicted.

      So what is the general view on this one?

      Also I note that the Starblazer answer would allow someone to Free Tag their own Consequence (so long as they got there before anyone else) - for example getting a Free Tag on their "broken leg" consequence to make a Composure attack playing on peoples sympathies. Does this seem right?

      Cheers,

      R00kie

    • Jetan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6 1:37 PM
        Fred et al clarified this: a Consequence is an aspect introduced by
        someone and so they get a free tag. The person that took the
        Consequence does *not* get a free tag because they are not the one
        that introduced the aspect (unless of course they hurt themselves).

        This was how we were playing it already, and so it makes perfect sense to me :)