Re: Spirit of Pokemon

  • frontendchaos
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
      One thing I'd keep in mind regarding this is that the show doesn't
      have a smooth gradient of advancement like the games, nor does it
      emulate the balance of the games. For example, even though Golem is
      immune to electric attacks, through force of will and the bond between
      trainer and pokemon, somehow Pikachu manages to take him down. This
      kind of thing happens all the time.

      This implies to me that "advancement" is really just a plot-driven
      change of some Aspects and Stunts, but not really much of a shift in
      overall power. Maybe the pokemon gains some extra Aspects to give it extra
      chances to invoke, and gets an extra Stunt as a result.

      GM as the Announcer: Is this the end for Sara's Teddiursa? Will it
      fall before the towering might of bully Steve's Tyrannitar? And will
      Team Rocket manage to escape with their stolen Light Ball before
      they're discovered??

      GM: Okay Libby, suddenly Teddiursa is suddenly surrounded by a glowing
      light... you've seen this before, Teddiursa is evolving!

      Libby: Yay, I love Ursaring! Sara covers her mouth, gasping... "What's
      happening?? Teddiursa is evolving!"

      GM: Go ahead and add a couple aspects to your pokemon... I suggest
      something like Powerful Grab and "Don't talk back to a giant
      bear!" Also, we can probably change Cuddly Teddy to Intimidating
      Glare; Ursaring isn't a cute pokemon like Teddiursa.

      GM: Normally your poke would get a couple Fate points for the new
      aspects, but in this case he heals all his stress and consequences as
      a result of the evolution. [[This seems common in the show.]] He does
      get a new stunt though, the awesome Hyper Beam! Hyperbeam requires you
      to spend a fate point, spend an action charging up, and then on your
      next action you can make an attack with a +4 bonus!

      Libby: That's cool. Sara strikes a pose, planting her feet firmly in
      the ground and pointing at Steve. "We're not going to be bullied by
      you anymore, Steve... right Ursaring? We'll show those two what it's
      like picking on someone their own size! Ursaring! Use Hyper Beam!"

      Anyway, this sounds like a fun project, maybe I'll work on something
      like this for my 8 year old =)
    • David C. Boddie
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008
        This whole ideas sounds good to me... Gah! Too many gaming ideas to work on now...

        Boddie

      • Andy Cowell
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2008
          On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:36 PM, frontendchaos <frontendchaos@...> wrote:
          One thing I'd keep in mind regarding this is that the show doesn't
          have a smooth gradient of advancement like the games, nor does it
          emulate the balance of the games. For example, even though Golem is
          immune to electric attacks, through force of will and the bond between
          trainer and pokemon, somehow Pikachu manages to take him down. This
          kind of thing happens all the time.

          I agree.  I was thinking of letting Fate Points do those sorts of things.

          This implies to me that "advancement" is really just a plot-driven
          change of some Aspects and Stunts, but not really much of a shift in
          overall power. Maybe the pokemon gains some extra Aspects to give it extra
          chances to invoke, and gets an extra Stunt as a result.

          I was thinking in general of using the Skill pyramid to track this.  You start out with a Skill pyramid peaked at +3.  As you advance, you get another skill at +1.  Then, since you have missing "slots" on this new pyramid, you advance one +1 to +2 and fill in behind it with another +1, and so forth.  When you complete the +4 pyramid, you *MECHANICALLY* evolve to the 2nd Evolution, which could be delayed at the Trainer's option.  +5 would be 3rd Evolution, and you could work toward +6 which would make your Pokemon the equivalent of Legendary.

          Alternately, doing something like spending 5 Fate Points or whatever at a dramatic moment with GM approval would let your Pokemon evolve and stat up a bit early.

          Anyway, this sounds like a fun project, maybe I'll work on something
          like this for my 8 year old =)

          Yeah, my target audience is 7 and 9. ;-)

          I was thinking of doing damage differently than SotC.  You may run into situations, like challenging a Gym leader, where there is nothing but combat "to the end" with multiple Pokemons on both sides.  I'm thinking of dropping back to the Fudge damage track (see * later); either that, or maybe "Change how Consequences work" from http://evilhat.wikidot.com/faster-conflicts

          I was planning on running the first game for my kids using pregen characters of Red and Green from the manga to foil a Team Rocket plot.  Here's a writeup of Red's Bulbasaur: http://www.cowell.org/~andy/sop/bulbasaur.html  You can see it's still a little rough.  I have the skill list written down at home; since there seems to be some interest, I'll type it up tonight and post it here.

          * From my original efforts on converting Fudge, something like this (I can't figure out how to link directly to the post): http://www.fudgeforum.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453

          1: Scratch Scratch Hurt Incap
          2: Scratch Scratch Hurt VHurt Incap
          3: Scratch Scratch Scratch Hurt VHurt Incap
          4: Scratch Scratch Scratch Hurt Hurt VHurt Incap
          5: Scratch Scratch Scratch Scratch Hurt Hurt VHurt VHurt Incap

          Instead of adding an additional Hurt to HP 5, I added an additional Very Hurt. This would let him soak up three direct 5-6 damage blows instead of just two. Otherwise, it's the same.

          For those unfamiliar with Fudge, Scratch is just for effect, Hurt is -2 to everything, Very Hurt is -4, and Incap is you're down and out.  Damage rolls forward just like SotC.

        • Andy Cowell
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2008
            On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Andy Cowell <andy@...> wrote:
            I have the skill list written down at home; since there seems to be some interest, I'll type it up tonight and post it here.

             (P) after the skill name indicates that Pokemon can take the skill.

            Academics a.k.a. Pokemon Knowledge
            Accuracy (basis for Ranged Attacks) (P)
            Alertness (P)
            Art
            Athletics (P)
            Burglary
            Contacting
            Deceit (P)
            Drive a.k.a. Ride (bicycles, Pokemons, etc...)
            Empathy (P)
            Endurance (P)
            Engineering
            Evasiveness (P) (avoids attacks)
            Fighting (P) (basis for Melee Attacks)
            Fishing
            Flying (P-- probably Pokemon only)
            Intimidation (P)
            Leadership (P)
            Might (P)
            Pokeball (attacking with a Pokeball)
            Rapport (P)
            Resolve (P)
            Resources
            Science
            Slight of Hand (P)
            Stealth (P)
            Surrvival (P)
            Swimming (P)

          • Jim Montgomery
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2008
              > For those unfamiliar with Fudge, Scratch is just for effect, Hurt is -2 to
              > everything, Very Hurt is -4, and Incap is you're down and out. Damage rolls
              > forward just like SotC.

              My problem with wound penalties is always this: in tv shows, movies
              and books, it's when the character is almost down and out that they
              find their inner strength and bust a super move and win. With this
              system, when you're on the ropes, you'd be spending a bunch of fate
              points just to overcome the wound penalties before getting to any
              bonuses. Wound penalties don't exist in the gba games, and as often as
              not in the show if an enemy was strong enough to knock a pokemon
              silly, then they don't need the wound penalty death spiral added in.
              The first free tag of each consequence seems more than enough to me.

              Just my 2 cents.
            • Troy Holaday
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008

                [quote] My problem with wound penalties is always this: in tv shows, movies and books, it's when the character is almost down and out that they find their inner strength and bust a super move and win. With this system, when you're on the ropes, you'd be spending a bunch of fate points just to overcome the wound penalties before getting to any bonuses. Wound penalties don't exist in the gba games, and as often as not in the show if an enemy was strong enough to knock a pokemon silly, then they don't need the wound penalty death spiral added in. The first free tag of each consequence seems more than enough to me. [/quote]

                Absolutely true. I wouldn't use the -2/-4 penalties. In fact I would be tempted to throw in an Aspect on occasion like "second wind" or "fight like a cornered rattata".  You might even want to add some rule for a one-hit knockout (of pokemon). Of course it should rarely happen.

                The cool thing about this idea is that it appeals to kids and there is tons of source material. Any one of the video game guides (like the pokedexes or the play-throughs) would make an excellent GM's sourcebook. All the attacks are quantified, the maps are in place, even NPC's (gymn leaders, team galactic, etc.) are defined. I'm curious to see the results. Will you post the files in the group?

                Doc Holaday