Re: Questions about Deception

  • rpgmath13
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
      Thanks to both Mel White and Hans for those answers! This is really helping get my mind
      around social conflict.

      I have a couple of other questions:

      If Bob were losing a knife fight, he may well try and bolt and run. So if he is losing this
      social conflict he could try and walk away, right? My gut feeling is Celene might try and
      stop Bob using block maneuvers, correct?

      Reading the rules I end up with a timing questions (these actually apply to the knife fight
      too):

      So Celene tries to con Bob for a few exchanges. It's Bob's action:

      "Ah! Look at the time! Well, maybe we could finish this later." Bob moves one zone away
      (he could hold an action, yes?).

      Celene doesn't want Bob to get away, so moves one zone closer. "You know Bob, I can't
      wait on this deal, I have other investors lined up, but you are such a good guy I thought I'd
      come to you first." Celene uses block against Bob moving away.

      Bob's action. Now Bob has to take an action to try and move. Succeed or fail this brings
      us around to Celene.

      Celene's action. Now I'm stuck. In order to keep Bob from walking away from the deal she
      has to block. But this is a stalemate since she can't also attack. How do you play this?

      Finally another question about resources: Suppose Bob concedes (buying the Bridge isn't
      that bad really) and forks over his life savings. What happens then? Does Celene get
      access to Bob's resources for a little while?

      Thanks!
    • Mel White
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
        "rpgmath13" <llangley@...> wrote:

        > So Celene tries to con Bob for a few exchanges. It's Bob's action:
        >
        > "Ah! Look at the time! Well, maybe we could finish this later."
        Bob moves one zone away
        > (he could hold an action, yes?.
        I'd say yes. The one zone move will count as a supplemental action
        on the subsequent primary action. Note, though, that Bob can't
        interrupt Celene to take his action. Bob will have to wait until
        Celene completes her action.

        > Celene doesn't want Bob to get away, so moves one zone
        closer. "You know Bob, I can't
        > wait on this deal, I have other investors lined up, but you are
        such a good guy I thought I'd
        > come to you first." Celene uses block against Bob moving away.
        >
        > Bob's action. Now Bob has to take an action to try and move.
        Succeed or fail this brings
        > us around to Celene.
        >
        > Celene's action. Now I'm stuck. In order to keep Bob from
        walking away from the deal she
        > has to block. But this is a stalemate since she can't also
        attack. How do you play this?

        If Bob's action in his turn was successful--meaning he broke the
        Block, then Celene can re-establish it. If Bob both broke the block
        and used a supplemental action to move one more zone away (similar
        to the second example on page 61) then Celene has to catch up and
        either try to re-establish the block or make an attack. If,
        however, Bob's action was not successful in breaking the block, then
        Celene can make an attack. The question I have myself is, does
        Celene's attack negate her own block? I think in general I would
        rule that physical attacks break one's own physical block, and
        social attacks break one's own social blocks, but I'd bet there are
        some circumstances where the attack would not negate the block. I
        like the idea, though that the converse is not true. In other
        words, a bad guy can block the heroes from moving by covering them
        with a pistol, while in subsequent rounds makes Intimidation and
        other social attacks.

        > Finally another question about resources: Suppose Bob concedes
        (buying the Bridge isn't
        > that bad really) and forks over his life savings. What happens
        then? Does Celene get
        > access to Bob's resources for a little while?
        I've done 'resource' awards two ways. One way is to award the
        recipient a new aspect that can be tagged once for free in an
        appropriate roll. Another way is to award the recipient with a free
        use of the 'Money is no object' stunt (allowing a Resources roll to
        be ++++ without rolling). Similarly, Bob should get a new
        aspect 'penniless' or something that the GM can compel; or rule that
        Bob suffers a -2 penalty on Resources for the rest of the game
        session (just like the stunt).

        Mel