Traps, Guns and 'Chases'

  • ian_fandomlife
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1 4:55 AM
      So, in an up and coming SotC game
      (http://www.fandomlife.net/flnwiki/doku.php?id=ttindex) I have a
      particular scene in mind.

      Basically, it's a coastal cavern, on opposite sides of the cavern are
      ledges that run up the sides. In the interest of keeping this short
      the characters make their way up one side, while a group of Nazi's
      make their way up the other (arriving in a U-Boat).

      The questions I have are about running the scene mechanically?

      There will be some trading of gun fire, possible (across the cavern),
      as the players run up the ledge they will face traps and it's also a
      bit of a chase.

      I think the traps will be spurious traps that are just movement
      hazards and 1 set piece trap that will be dealt with as an item.

      It's how to do the running and trap avoiding? I was thinking it would
      be movement rolls, with failures to get across barries indicating
      damage from traps somehow - the oil just grazes you, etc?
    • Darren Brewster
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1 11:58 AM
        On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:55 AM, ian_fandomlife
        <ian.orourke@...> wrote:
        > So, in an up and coming SotC game
        > (http://www.fandomlife.net/flnwiki/doku.php?id=ttindex) I have a
        > particular scene in mind.

        "Around the World in 80 Deaths" is an instant classic. I love it.

        > I think the traps will be spurious traps that are just movement
        > hazards and 1 set piece trap that will be dealt with as an item.
        >
        > It's how to do the running and trap avoiding? I was thinking it would
        > be movement rolls, with failures to get across barries indicating
        > damage from traps somehow - the oil just grazes you, etc?

        That seems to be a very reasonable way to do things. Have your zones
        thought out and assign difficulties to the borders ahead of time. More
        insidious traps could function as an attack that needs to be avoided
        with a use of Athletics or something else appropriate (automatic
        poisoned darts or something). Mixing it up like that could keep it
        interesting for the whole encounter.
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2 3:46 AM
          you can treat traps basically as characters or maybe minions with say
          a key skill - Swinging Blades [Weapon] Great +4 and allocate some
          physical or Secret stress (as have been suggested before).

          The players could attack them with weapons and so inflict physical
          stress to break them, the trap would 'avoid' attacks with Athletics
          if it's moving, or for say a turret with e.g. Armour Fair (+2) as a
          skill to try to absorb the attacks, or simply say it can't avoid and
          so the attacker inflicts total stress over and above mediocre (0) -
          just give it more stress or say it's armour absorbs X stress from
          each hit.

          Using Secrets, the players can outthink the trap and inflict 'secret'
          stress to work out how to get around them.

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Brewster" <excrusader@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7 5:34 AM
            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris@...> wrote:

            > Using Secrets, the players can outthink the trap and inflict 'secret'
            > stress to work out how to get around them.

            Hmm, I think I guess where you are going here, but what is the 'secret
            stress'? Is it a form of new stress track damaged via some form of new
            knowledge attack?
          • ian_fandomlife
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7 5:36 AM
              Hmmm, something I've thought of lately is just the basic of lighting.
              Must remember the lack of modern equipment :)

              Pondering!

              The only option seems to be naked flame torches.
            • ian_fandomlife
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7 6:06 AM
                Then again, I may be wrong, it seems reliable flashlights existed circa
                1910 - certainly good enough once you add the pulp factor (the games
                background technology tends to be influnced by expectation rather than
                reality).
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9 1:12 AM
                  Secrets and this approach to traps was suggested by someone a way back.
                  Secrets is a way of beating a trap by outthinking it - working out
                  which bits of the floor set it off, which part to shoot to break it,
                  how to dodge the blades.

                  --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "ian_fandomlife" <ian.orourke@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Using Secrets, the players can outthink the trap and
                  inflict 'secret'
                  > > stress to work out how to get around them.
                  >
                  > Hmm, I think I guess where you are going here, but what is
                  the 'secret
                  > stress'? Is it a form of new stress track damaged via some form of
                  new
                  > knowledge attack?

                • bachelornewtling
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9 5:16 PM
                    wrote:

                    > Then again, I may be wrong, it seems reliable flashlights existed
                    circa
                    > 1910 - certainly good enough once you add the pulp factor (the games
                    > background technology tends to be influnced by expectation rather
                    than
                    > reality).

                    Wouldn't it be good that certain technology had an "unreliable" aspect
                    that could be tagged, if not for free, then for a FP from the GM? I
                    can just see the PC's torches begin to fail halfway down the dark
                    cave entrance to Dr Sinisters lair...

                    Bach.