Re[2]: [FateRPG] Another shot at Paladore, following Iago's lead

  • GameKnight
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
      On 1/31/2003, in <mid:20030201021558.GD17565@...> Iago was seen
      fudging this:

      > I think you knocked it out of the park on this one, and I'm not
      > just saying that because you copied my format. ;)

      Actually, that format genuinely helped me in the process. First off,
      totalling the levels each phase helped me stay on track a lot, and I
      like the separation of what was "added" that phase and what the
      character's skill/item/etc. list looked like at the end of the phase.

      It was redundant, to be sure, but it was actually kinda cool (ok, very
      cool) to be able to look at the true development of the character over
      time, and see what kind of character it was at each stage of his life.

      This is actually very much the kind of thing I was looking for in
      character creation. Flesh out the story as you "play" through each
      phase his life. I found myself thinking through the next period of
      time, imagining what Paladore was doing, what he was learning, and how
      he was growing (sometimes in more ways than one).

      It's possible, almost at any time along the road, to stop creating the
      character and start playing...bearing in mind the direction of where
      the future phases are already headed.

      Actually, as an extra option to character creation, it might be
      interesting to have players go through the exercise of creating their
      character another phase or two into the future, but then spring the
      news on them that you will be starting the game at an earlier point.

      e.g. The GM plans on starting characters at Phase 8, but during
      character creation, they step through to Phase 10. Then the GM tells
      them to keep in mind what their goals were for Phases 9 and 10, but
      that they will be starting the game after Phase 8.

      Even if you just go ONE extra phase, then you have their goal already
      set (which may change after the game starts, but it shows where the
      character intended to grow), and it may be interesting to see how game
      play and experience might change that.

      --
      Best regards,
      GameKnight GameKnight -at- attbi -dot- com

      ---
      If genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration, I
      wind up sharing elevators with a lot of bright people.
      ---
    • Iago
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, GameKnight wrote:

        > It's possible, almost at any time along the road, to stop
        > creating the character and start playing...bearing in mind
        > the direction of where the future phases are already
        > headed.

        Right. That played into character advancement too, when we
        were doing our design sessions, with the 'Goal Aspect' and
        progressing towards that -- in some ways, the whole thing
        can be looked at as an extracted moment in a character
        generation cycle.

        And *that*, my friend, gives an interesting basis for a
        campaign in its own right -- generating, say, a 4-phase
        novice, then doing a series of adventures that gets him to
        his 5th aspect -- and then fast-forwarding through another
        3 phases of character generation, and running as an
        8-phase veteran, lather, rinse, repeat... A trilogy, even:
        I could see it applying really well to a "star wars" sort
        of thing, where there's significant fast forwarding
        between each "film".

        > Even if you just go ONE extra phase, then you have their
        > goal already set (which may change after the game starts,
        > but it shows where the character intended to grow), and it
        > may be interesting to see how game play and experience
        > might change that.

        Absolutely.

        --
        Fred Hicks <iago AT iago DOT net>