Re:SOTC one-shot post mortem

  • Trey Palmer
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008

      Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:33 am (PDT)

      "Charlton Wilbur"  cwilbur@...   wrote:
      Finally, I put all the stunts I thought would be useful onto
      quarter-sheet postcards; if any stunt had a prerequisite, I included
      that on the card. I included on the cards the number of stunts on that
      card and the skill governing those stunts. I also printed out character
      sheets and the one-page quick reference.
      I don't know about the rest of you, but this struck me as one of the most useful things out there. I know the two editions of Exalted, and their multiple splats, have spawned a lot of charm cards. Has anyone considered doing this for SotC/FATE 3.0?
      Related to that, is there a visual representation of each the trappings and each stunt under their skill?
      Finally, Charlton, cool. Seems like you had a lot of fun there. Its interesting that Roleplaying Tips Weekly # 396 (roleplayingtips.com yeah, it mainly caters to D20, but they do have useful stuff), has an article on one shots, which will be available without a subscription next week. It may be useful. As might this http://www.roleplayingtips.com/downloads/supplemental_08_conventions.txt
      And Charlton, check your in box.
      --
      Bowden "Trey" Palmer | trey DOT palmer AT Golf Mike Alpha India Lima DOT Charlie Oscar Mike
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
        Trey Palmer wrote:

        Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:33 am (PDT)

        "Charlton Wilbur"  cwilbur@...   wrote:
        Finally, I put all the stunts I thought would be useful onto
        quarter-sheet postcards; if any stunt had a prerequisite, I included
        that on the card. I included on the cards the number of stunts on that
        card and the skill governing those stunts. I also printed out character
        sheets and the one-page quick reference.
        I don't know about the rest of you, but this struck me as one of the most useful things out there. I know the two editions of Exalted, and their multiple splats, have spawned a lot of charm cards. Has anyone considered doing this for SotC/FATE 3.0?
        I've considered creating a Stunt Cards product for SOTC, but I simply haven't gotten the time to work on it.  I might be willing to pay a hundred bucks or so to someone skilled at boiling stunt descriptions down to about 75 words apiece (maybe less, maybe more -- need to experiment with a template), just to get this thing done and out there as a PDF product on RPGNow or whatever.

        Fred
      • Matthijs Krijger

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008

              Someone threw together a little sheet to help track who has what.
              Check out this link:
              http://www.alvinfrewer.com/sotc/

              Is Alvin Frewer on this list?

              Great little tool, would just highlight those skills that got a 'to be used often ' mark somewhere, now you still have to scan all over the sheet to find those skills.

              fg,
              Thijs
            • Matthijs Krijger
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
                Now you take the risk of 12 people putting tonight such a list together and excluding those from the wrong timezone. Thus creating alot of duplication..
                [However this will mean you will be able to pick best final product.. smart]

                fg,
                Thijs

                Trey Palmer wrote:

[...]

                with friendly greetings

                Thijs Krijger
                "The sky is the limit, the lower limit"
              • Matthijs Krijger
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
                  On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                  Matthijs Krijger wrote:
                  Is this an open call for applications?
                  Might be. :)

                  Fred

                  In that case you might consider this as an application.
                  Was working on template for Space Opera Aspect cards..

                  fg,
                  Thijs

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 22, 2008
                      On Mar 31, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Charlton Wilbur wrote:

                      > I want to tweak some of the stunt cards I produced, but once I'm happy
                      > with them I'll probably put them up in the files area -- and the same
                      > with the eventual skills handout.
                      >
                      > I'm also open to more suggestions.

                      Well, I ran the game at the convention. Total character creation
                      time, about an hour and a half. We actually went about a half-hour
                      over the slot with actual play, but everyone was having fun, so I
                      didn't fight it.

                      One tweak I made: I put the name of each skill on a business card, and
                      put them all in the middle of the table. I then had three rounds:
                      everyone got to pick his or her Superb skill, with negotiation if
                      there were 2 people who wanted the same skill; then everyone got to
                      pick the first Great skill, then everyone got to pick the second Great
                      skill. This meant that everyone's top three skills were unique among
                      all six players. This really seemed to help with niche protection,
                      and there were a couple of negotiations of the form, "Hm, it makes
                      sense for me to have Great Fists -- would you be happier with Superb
                      Weapons?" Because everyone had been talking through character
                      creation, the niches didn't overlap too much, but the skill names on
                      business cards helped to reinforce that.

                      Another thing I did that helped was that I sorted each skill's stunts
                      into those that were closely tied to the skill (i.e., you had to make
                      a skill roll to use the stunt) and those that were not. I then handed
                      each player the stunt cards for his Superb and Great skills, and waved
                      the cards around that were not closely tied to the skill, to point out
                      that people could choose from them too.

                      Finally, I invited the players to petition for compel points, because
                      (as I told them) they each had to keep track of 10 aspects, while I
                      had to keep track of 60. A dynamic evolved where players were
                      suggesting compels to each other, and the fate points flew like
                      water. This led to some very cool things (hey, a +14 to a skill roll,
                      just because he can!) and all six players were getting into it by the
                      end.

                      Charlton

                      --
                      Charlton Wilbur
                      cwilbur@...
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 22, 2008
                        I meant to respond to this a while back...

                        On Apr 1, 2008, at 7:42 AM, Trey Palmer wrote:

                        Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:33 am (PDT)

                         Its interesting that Roleplaying Tips Weekly # 396 (roleplayingtips.com yeah, it mainly caters to D20, but they do have useful stuff), has an article on one shots, which will be available without a subscription next week. It may be useful. As might this http://www.roleplayingtips.com/downloads/supplemental_08_conventions.txt

                        I'm a subscriber to Roleplaying Tips Weekly, and it is very D20-centric -- but there's a lot of good generic advice there too.  In this case, a lot of the advice about one-shots was good but stuff I knew already -- I've been running convention and game-store one-shots for, um, well, more than 10 years now, because it's the best way I've found to find compatible players.

                        Charlton

                        --
                        Charlton Wilbur