Inborn Magic

  • DC
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
      The path of the Inborn is by far the most common in the world

      Here is some more of the magic system we’re planning on using for the Odannan PBEM. If you are interested in playing the PBEM, drop me a line offlist at dansell@...

      The path of the Inborn is by far the most common in the world. In fact, it could be said that every living thing has some tiny level of Inborn magic. The long life of Elves, the Troll's ability to regenerate wounds, even the vast magical strength, and fiery breath, of the Dragon, all are Inborn magic. Purely racial abilities, however, are covered under Racial Aspects, which are not covered here.  Inborn magic is a set of aspects and skills  that are not part of the “standard” abilities the members of a certain species have.

      Inborn magic is passed down generation to generation. Thus, the union of Elf and Man produces an offspring with some measure of the Span of Elves, making a very long-lived being, though not so long as an Elf remains. Many other beings have passed their Inborn gifts to their offspring. In ancient times, Demons, and Angels, and Dragons, all dallied with the mortal races, and their children wielded, in great or lesser degree, the Inborn magical potency of their parents. Sometimes curses or gifts are passed down from generation to generation as well.  The Curse of the Beast, which is the source of Werecreatures of all types, is an example.  Undead are also generated with this rule.

      To wield Inborn magick, you must take the appropriate aspect.  Usually, this is called, Inborn Talent (name of aspect). Its presence grants the user to three Inborn skills. You may raise the skills to any adjective without raising the corresponding aspect. The skills may be drawn from Spheres of Magick, Hedge Magick skills, or Clerical Magick Skills,  or unique skills based on the concept of the character’s Inborn power. The skills, like all magick, are bought as part of the normal skill pyramid.  There is no requirement to purchase all the skills relevant to the aspect.

      Examples of Inborn Magick:

      Dragonsblood: Character has the heritage of the dragon.  He is a bit stronger, and tougher then he appears, more regal and charismatic.

      Skills Allowed:  Sphere of Fire, Shapeshift (Dracoform), Aura Sight

      Helbrood:  Character has the heritage of demons, passed down through the generations.  She is a little stronger, possessed of a dark beauty, a little tougher then she appears.

      Skills Allowed:  Sphere of Death, Shapeshift (Demonskin), Sphere of Destruction

      Child of Heaven: Character has the heritage of angels, passed down through generations. He is a little stronger, has an aura of kindness and peace, and is tougher then he looks.

      Skills Allowed: Aura Sight, Sphere of Healing, Sphere of Life

      Werewolf: Character has the Curse of the Beast, passed down through generations of his ancestors.  His human form is unremarkable, though he does heal faster then others, and has an aversion to silver objects.

      Skills Allowed: Sphere of Animals, Shapeshift (wolf), Shapeshift (wolfman)

      Vampyr: Character has been turned into a bloodsucking fiend of the night.  She is stronger, faster, and tougher then she appears, very hard to kill.  Daylight destroys her, and she has a marked aversion to holy things, and is vulnerable to a wide variety of things.  Wooden stakes through the heart are especially inconvenient, as is decapitation.

      Skills Allowed: Sphere of Darkness, Shapeshift (wolf), Shapeshift (bat)

    • blisscally
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
        Or at nbrewer1103@... :)

        You did mean she OR he right partner? Just as an aside Dan and I have
        been working on this world for, gosh around 4 months or so.
        Originally, we thought about building a NWN game and then bagged it
        and started to write together. This story then showed us we really
        wanted to do something game-like and literary and so we decided to do
        a PBEM. It has gone through a few versions first Fudge and finally we
        are thrilled to have found FATE rules. I love the story based
        creation, it is so great! Our story has been a great deal of fun and
        it is my hope the PBEM will be as well! We have the website up and
        just about ready for traffic too. So once it is up we will let you
        all have a look.

        Myself, I have little in the way of experience in tabletops and
        PBEMS, my experience is from playing, heading roleplaying groups,
        designing MUDS, and writing RP ala message boards. SO I am really
        looking forward to this new venture.

        Hopefully we can wrastle a few of you to play with us.

        Nancy
        The Hel-Gates of Odannan

        PS Rob I STILL link whatever Link back info you require for
        FATE..pretty please!?