Re: [FateRPG] Help with Resolve

  • Michael Bowman
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      On Feb 29, 2008, at 11:03 PM, Fred Hicks wrote:

      > Michael Bowman wrote:
      >
      >> He has no Resolve stunts, all his stunts are associated with his
      >> Great
      >> skills (Empathy and Investigation).
      >>
      > Hm. I'd take that as a bit of a hint. I'd surmise he spiked his
      > Resolve in part to be really unflappable in the face of social and
      > psychological stress, but his heart's in being cool through reading
      > people and noticing things.

      Yes. I think you're right there.

      > So what I'd do here is get him into a big burly social brawl. His
      > Empathy will let him act early, keeping the upper hand, and when
      > people try to zing him with their Intimidation and Deceit and
      > whatnot, he'll won't fall for their games.

      I have another character with Rapport as his peak skill, so social
      conflicts are a must.

      > I'd underscore that Intimidation thing. With a massive Resolve,
      > he's a man without fear. So put him in situations which would freak
      > out almost anyone else (and will, if he's got some good screaming
      > NPCs -- or PCs! -- with him) and he'll bat nary an eyelash.

      Okay. I think this sounds like a good approach, focus on his Greats
      and then spotlight his Superb. Thanks.

      Michael
    • Michael Bowman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        Some great ideas here. I can definitely introduce some of these. Thanks.

        Michael

        On Feb 29, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Pablo BarrĂ­a wrote:

        some ideas:

        Well, once thing is being tortured and other is being the torturer/interrogat or.

        Playing chess with Death, or with the ocean master, the odds being his or the other characters' life.

        Suffering a massive hypnotic attack. See it as an environmental hazard(i.e fire), with mental stress instead of physical.

        Researching, researching, researching and then keep researching even when everyone else is mentally exhausted.

        Facing off against tricksters, illusion masters, or other dirty fighters who try to confuse.

        Staring contests, "mental combat", etc.

        Battles of Will to see who gets to control John Malkovich's body, or similar situations.

        Shaking off assessments from villains. If you are tagged for an aspect that prays on a character flaw, maybe a Superb resolve roll can allow you to ignore the tag. It seems a bit unbalancing and shouldn't be too often. Also, resolve should be the only skill that allowed you to do this because it is, well, your will power. Maybe aspects overcomed  this way should be replaced or at least retouched after such a negation. The usual "I will not run, not this time" scenario, like a sort of character advancement.

        Flame wars.

        And last but not least, Cosmic Horror. They guy who keeps it together, and probably who keeps the group together, when everyone else is crouching in the shower sucking their thumb. Its a harsher kind of setting, but it is still technically pulp.

        That's it. I hope some of those help.
        alguna vez rata,
        hoy solo un roto infeliz.