Re: [FateRPG] SotC Actual Play: The Empire City Centurions

  • Jetan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
      It sounds like a great game. I loved the tractor maneuvers. I have a
      couple of questions:

      How did you play environmental aspects? Did everyone get free tags?

      Why did people choose so many blocking maneuvers? They keep seeming
      not very useful to me in our games.

      Thanks!

      On 11/4/07, Andy Fix <ajfixer@...> wrote:
      > I just posted an actual play report over on RPG.net for my first session of an ongoing SotC
      > game. Here's the link, for anyone who wants to read it:
      >
      > http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=8030771#post8030771
      >
      > The game was a lot of fun, and everyone had a great time. I am looking forward to our next
      > session in two weeks, and I'll update the AP report after every session.
      >
      > - Andy Fix :-)
      >

      > | Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
      > | SOTC * http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
      > | DFRPG * http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • BlindGeek
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
        That's probably the best AP report I'[ve ever read.  It was cohesive, and most favorably, I loved the fact that you explained how things worked from a mechanikcal standpoint as you went along.  Keep 'em coming!  Thanks.

        I just posted an actual play report over on RPG.net for my first session of an ongoing SotC
        game. Here's the link, for anyone who wants to read it:

        http://forum. rpg.net/showthre ad.php?p= 8030771#post8030 771

        The game was a lot of fun, and everyone had a great time. I am looking forward to our next
        session in two weeks, and I'll update the AP report after every session.

        - Andy Fix :-)

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Andy Fix
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Jetan <dtribble@...> wrote:

          > It sounds like a great game. I loved the tractor maneuvers. I have a
          > couple of questions:
          >
          > How did you play environmental aspects? Did everyone get free tags?

          Scene aspects that were assigned by me during the scene set-up were tagged at the cost
          of a Fate point. Scene aspects that resulted from a PC maneuver could be tagged once for
          free.

          > Why did people choose so many blocking maneuvers? They keep seeming
          > not very useful to me in our games.

          Blocking rocks. Blocking was used mostly defensively (to it more difficult for the attacker
          to attack), like Doc Nitro's blocking maneuver against the yeti. He saw the yeti pick up the
          desk and figured the yeti was going to smash someone with it. Not wanting to be the
          smashee, he went for the block before the yeti could attack. The block roll beat the yeti's
          attack roll. If Doc Nitro had relied on his Athletics skill to dodge, he would have failed and
          been smashed.

          Hope that helps.

          - Andy Fix :-)
        • Andy Fix
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "BlindGeek" <yakkoman@...> wrote:

            > That's probably the best AP report I'[ve ever read. It was cohesive, and most favorably, I
            loved the fact that you explained how things worked from a mechanikcal standpoint as you
            went along. Keep 'em coming! Thanks.

            Glad you enjoyed it. :-) I'll keep posting them as long as folks keep reading them.

            - Andy Fix :-)
          • s_morring
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
              > Glad you enjoyed it. :-) I'll keep posting them as long as folks keep
              > reading them.

              Count me as another happy reader. Thanks for you time and effort.

              As an inexperienced GM with inexperienced players (my daughters)
              these "real" examples help a lot. In particular, I like your style of
              presenting the story and mechanics.

              Would you please add a new thread here in the Yahoo group each time you
              add a new AP?
            • Andy Fix
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2007
                i just posted an update to my RPG.net actual play thread:

                http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=362768

                I ran a Spirit of the Season adventure for last week's session. Enjoy! :-)

                -Andy Fix :-0
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 10, 2007
                  That was excellent.  In a way, I wish the Baroness got more screen time, but holy crap, what a fantastic way to turn Nick's unexpected move into a rip-roaring *medical drama* climax to the adventure.  Great job.

                  On Dec 9, 2007 10:52 PM, Andy Fix <ajfixer@...> wrote:
                  i just posted an update to my RPG.net actual play thread:

                  http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=362768

                  I ran a Spirit of the Season adventure for last week's session. Enjoy! :-)

                  -Andy Fix :-0

                  | Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
                  | SOTC * http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
                  | DFRPG * http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     mailto:FateRPG-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     mailto:FateRPG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  --
                  Best,

                  Fred Hicks
                • BlindGeek
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 10, 2007
                    Dude, that adventure was freakin' brilliant!  And personally, I didn't find the ending cheesey at all.  It really fit the fact that this is supposed to be a Christmas story.  If you ever are at a Gencon or something, and we ever meet up, I really want to play SotC with ya.  Your APs are sensational!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2007
                      > i just posted an update to my RPG.net actual play thread:
                      >
                      > http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=362768
                      >
                      > I ran a Spirit of the Season adventure for last week's session. Enjoy! :-)

                      Brilliant way of working Spirit of the Season into your existing game.
                      Wish I had thought of something like that. I thought spirit of the
                      season was a great one-off adventure for new groups but not good for
                      my game (far more heroes than villains, only adventure seeds, and I
                      just started the group). I'll probably pull in the Baroness or Jack
                      sometime though.