Re: More thoughts on magic.

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
      How about this, is this something like what people are thinking?

      The witch uses her 'magic' or 'sorcery' or whatever skill to perform
      a maneuver which lays an aspect on the character: 'Curse of the
      Mouse'. This could be tagged normally: "I use a bit of cheese to
      distract him during my next attack", but it wouldn't automatically
      transform the character. The transformation would require a compel,
      or a tag for effect on the witch's player's part (refusable through
      the payment of a fate point, of course).

      Such a transformation could also be the stated goal of a contest.

      One simple way of handling the change of stats and all that might just
      be to give the character an aspect "Holy #@%* I'm a MOUSE!", which
      could be liberally compelled with things like: "You attack him? Aren't
      you too small to do any damage?" (GM slides over a fate point). This
      could make a transformation something of a fate point mine, which
      might tempt players into accepting that initial compel that caused the
      transformation.

      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "David Hoberman" <hoberman@...> wrote:

      > I think something like that is more properly resolved by a contest
      because
      > I'm sure the player wouldn't be very happy with suddenly having their
      > character so transformed.

      > On 9/4/07, johnpaul613 <scottacker613@...> wrote:

      > > Wouldn't this have to be a situation where the GM slides a Fate point
      > > over and says "sorry to do this to you but she changes you into a
      > > mouse"...I think you would have the option 'in game' to go along or
      > > slide a Fate point back and say "no way she does that to me".
    • John Bogart
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
        A quick idea is to allow the transformation to be evaded by taking a consequence the same as Landon's quick conflict system.  Only, instead of describing an injury, the character has to come up with some crazy way they barely avoid getting changed -- always involving some kind of disadvantage or injury or something, since it's a consequence.  This means that the target doesn't have to be changed by a lucky (or unlucky) roll, but also that the spell-caster still gets some benefit out of a good roll.  Also, tying the consequence to the action or circumstances that let them evade the spell means you don't have to strain to come up with weird justifications for half-successful spells or the like.

        For example, the witch succeeds on her attempt to change you into a goat and generates 4 shifts.  You can either be changed or you could describe how you desperately and barely evade the spell and take a Moderate Consequence to lower their successes by 4.  That means you avoid being turned into a goat -- this turn -- but you still suffered a Moderate Consequence, so you didn't get off scott-free.

        I think this would work for a lot of "one-hit-kill" effects.  It keeps the setting feeling that if the spell touches you, then you are toast, without having the undesirable system effect of losing the whole conflict because of one bad roll.

        -John Bogart
      • Hollis McCray
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
          Small thought on turning someone into a mouse: After you've turned
          them into a mouse, you then must find and catch said mouse. Has
          anyone here ever tried to catch a mouse when you know there's one
          there?

          --
          Hollis McCray
          Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904

          Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the following
          awesome RPGs:
          Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
          Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
          Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.
        • Chris Beilby
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
            Hollis McCray wrote:

            > Small thought on turning someone into a mouse: After you've turned
            > them into a mouse, you then must find and catch said mouse. Has
            > anyone here ever tried to catch a mouse when you know there's one
            > there?

            Tried and succeeded without use of any sort of trap other than my
            reflexes and an old yogurt container. Released the little one outside too.
          • Conan Purves
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
              Chris Beilby wrote:

              > Hollis McCray wrote:
              >>

              >> Small thought on turning someone into a mouse: After you've turned
              >> them into a mouse, you then must find and catch said mouse. Has
              >> anyone here ever tried to catch a mouse when you know there's one
              >> there?
              >>

              > Tried and succeeded without use of any sort of trap other than my
              > reflexes and an old yogurt container. Released the little one outside too.

              It's much easier when you have a properly sealed room, because then you
              can get it trapped in a corner or somewhere. Otherwise, if there are
              many teeny escape routes, once it slips by that can be it. Ditto on the
              yogourt container (we had a cat who was a very good hunter when I was
              kid; me and my friends spent many an afternoon chasing after her
              still-living prey while my she followed after us yowling indignantly).
            • Chuk Goodin
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
                On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:45:13AM -0700, Hollis McCray wrote:
                > Small thought on turning someone into a mouse: After you've turned
                > them into a mouse, you then must find and catch said mouse. Has
                > anyone here ever tried to catch a mouse when you know there's one
                > there?

                Yes, it's pretty easy (if you can see it, that is). Now, if the mouse
                still has human intelligence, that's another story...

                --
                chuk
              • douglaedtke@att.net
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007

                  I like this idea. I like it a lot...

                  My current thinking was to run transformations as a straight skill-based, stress-inducing conflict (as if using your Magic skill like Guns). Except that the consequences would include things like "Grows Big Ears" or "Shrinks Dramatically" or eventually -- once taken out -- "Holy $#!+, I'm a Mouse!" You could easily add Dr. Frankensteinien flourishes with maneuvers like "Strapped to a Table!" or "Given a Potion!" or suchlike, for bonuses to ensure a quick end result.

                  It all depends on the flavor of magic you're looking for.

                  -------------- Original message from "John Bogart" <jb.teller4@...>: --------------

[...]

                • hainted
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
                    See this is great.I'm getting a handle on how to hack the system and
                    use it for my homegrown setting.My problem is hacking in magic and
                    superpowers(weird setting yes but...)without getting bogged down too
                    much in dice rolling and CRUNCH playing.(worrying about the numbers
                    more than the characters.)I've been trying to get the story out and
                    hope to turn the setting into a SOTC type book eventually.Anyone
                    interested in the basics of the setting can head over to
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HaintedsHoller/ to check it out.
                    As for the lack of updates,well my computer crashed and wiped my hard
                    drive a couple of days after the group started.I'm still trying to
                    put everything back together(and back it up to disc,DOH!).
                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, douglaedtke@... wrote:

                    > I like this idea. I like it a lot...
                    > My current thinking was to run transformations as a straight skill-
                    based, stress-inducing conflict (as if using your Magic skill like
                    Guns). Except that the consequences would include things like "Grows
                    Big Ears" or "Shrinks Dramatically" or eventually -- once taken out --
                    "Holy $#!+, I'm a Mouse!" You could easily add Dr. Frankensteinien
                    flourishes with maneuvers like "Strapped to a Table!" or "Given a
                    Potion!" or suchlike, for bonuses to ensure a quick end result.
                    > It all depends on the flavor of magic you're looking for.
                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007
                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <singfoolsing@...> wrote:
                      > One simple way of handling the change of stats and all that might just
                      > be to give the character an aspect "Holy #@%* I'm a MOUSE!", which
                      > could be liberally compelled with things like: "You attack him? Aren't
                      > you too small to do any damage?" (GM slides over a fate point).

                      I'm not sure if this is a good idea in game terms (I tend to think its
                      awesome, but would need to test it), but it DID make me laugh out loud.
                    • Hans
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007
                        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Burdick" <bill.burdick@...> wrote:
                        > Ultimately, we phased out these 'sudden death' rules when we switched
                        > to the simplified mythos rules (see wiki).

                        Sorry, Bill. I'm coming to this late. Which wiki is that?
                      • Bill Burdick
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007
                          http://evilhat.wikidot.com/simpler-mythos-magic