Re: Starblazer Adventures - the continuing development saga!

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 2, 2007
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "solomoncane" <mozart198@...> wrote:

      > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We're working on the front cover this week and it's looking
      awesome
      > > already!
      > >

      > Have you decided upon the physical size of the printed book?
      >
      > Curious,
      > solomoncane

      it's likely to be the standard rpg book size so we hit the book
      market too, though I am exploring what the options are. I did like
      the idea of doing it, similar to Sotc, in the same size as the
      original comic book but it wouldn't do all the fab artwork justice
      and it would limit the space severaly
    • yasmine_bint_salim
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 2, 2007
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Hill" <rpglists@...> wrote:

        > Sounds like several exchanges of taking manoeuvres or declarations to
        > establish free tags, so when they finally fire, they really fire! So
        > maybe it _requires_ a number of free tags available before it can be
        > used!
        >
        > As an aside, in my game on Monday night, one of my players unleashed an
        > attack using five free tags and 4-5 fate points to trigger his own
        > aspects. It caused his opponent to use his last 4 fate points and be
        > Taken Out.
        > The fate point spending part of it was to-and-fro, and was pretty fun.
        >
        > Darren

        I wouldn't say that it requires a bunch of free tags. MOre like you
        don't really want to take the shot if you don't have a really good
        cahnce to hit.

        In SOTC terms, It takes several exhances for the weapon to build up to
        be ready to fire, and that the character firing the weapon (usually
        Kodai/Derek) puts a "targeted" aspect on whatever he is going to shoot at.

        Afterwards, the Yamato would probsably take a "reduced power" tag.

        I7ll check the anime and see how long it takes to charge/fire, just
        how much the enrgy drain hurts the ship (the weapon if powered
        directly from the ships FTL wave motion engines), and how long it
        takes to get ready for a second shot.
      • yasmine_bint_salim
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 2, 2007
          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Renato <renato.ramonda@...> wrote:

          > On 8/2/07, Chris Birch <chris@...> wrote:
          >
          > > ...except ours, my dears, will have a decidedly more proper
          British name, hehe!

          > Like... uhm...
          >
          > Massive Acceleration Wave Cannon, MarkIV
          >
          > MAW, Mk3
          >
          > 'cause, you know, the front side of your ship will have this huge
          open maw...

          > :)
          > --
          > Renato Ramonda

          Well, I think the orginal English translation was "Undulation Cannon",
          but that got changed to "Wave Motion Gun" in Stablzers since it was
          felt that young American Boys were too stupid to figure out what words
          such as "Undulation" or "Cannon" mean.

          Undulation, maybe, but we all know that Cannon is some sort of camera
          or copy machine, right? ;)
        • Hollis McCray
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 2, 2007
            On 8/2/07, Chris <chris@...> wrote:

            > it's likely to be the standard rpg book size so we hit the book
            > market too, though I am exploring what the options are. I did like
            > the idea of doing it, similar to Sotc, in the same size as the
            > original comic book but it wouldn't do all the fab artwork justice
            > and it would limit the space severaly

            One of the things I like about SotC is its small size, which lends to
            portability. It's an easy book to throw in on top of the books for
            your other system. (Adds to its backup playability!)
            --
            Hollis McCray
            Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904

            Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the following
            awesome RPGs:
            Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
            Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
            PDQ: Http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com
            Risus: http://risus.cumberlandgames.com
            Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.
          • Renato
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 3, 2007
              On 8/2/07, yasmine_bint_salim <yasmine_bint_salim@...> wrote:

              > In SOTC terms, It takes several exhances for the weapon to build up to
              > be ready to fire, and that the character firing the weapon (usually
              > Kodai/Derek) puts a "targeted" aspect on whatever he is going to shoot at.

              Well, another way to do this (the slow build up of power, preparing
              the ship, pointing it carefully, and so on) would be to use a
              dedicated stress track: each crewman rolls his particular skill (the
              captain rolls Leadership, the Engineer rolls (duh) engineering, the
              Navigator rolls Piloting, the gunner rolls his BFG Skill). The
              opposing roll could well be from the enemy crew/whatever.

              When you fill the stress track and you go for a Consequence, then you fire.

              ...completely untested and out of my ass :)

              Also, it could be a bit too much of a minigame hassle, unless you are
              centering a game on a crew with a yamato-like gun.

              > Afterwards, the Yamato would probsably take a "reduced power" tag.

              Oh, yeah. A "Low Power" aspect AND a "Slow to maneuver" aspect, both
              freely taggable by any survivors to the huge shot (if any).

              --
              Renato Ramonda
            • yasmine_bint_salim
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 3, 2007
                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Renato <renato.ramonda@...> wrote:

                > Well, another way to do this (the slow build up of power, preparing
                > the ship, pointing it carefully, and so on) would be to use a
                > dedicated stress track: each crewman rolls his particular skill (the
                > captain rolls Leadership, the Engineer rolls (duh) engineering, the
                > Navigator rolls Piloting, the gunner rolls his BFG Skill). The
                > opposing roll could well be from the enemy crew/whatever.
                >
                > When you fill the stress track and you go for a Consequence, then
                you fire.

                > ...completely untested and out of my ass :)

                This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for
                the setting/ship. The idea of skill rolls building up a stress track
                (and tension)is great for "we need this to work in 60 seconds or we'll
                all dead" sort of situations. It is just I don't recall the power
                build up as being that variable/controllable. More like hit the
                switch, wait the alooted time for the build up, then spend a turn or
                two aiming, the fire.

                I am gonna half to rewatch some Yamato stuff over the weekend and pay
                attention to the details on how the use the gun in the stories.