Re: Starblazer Adventures - the continuing development saga!

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1 2:28 AM
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Hollis McCray"
      <ascensionschild@...> wrote:

      > On 7/31/07, frunder <frunder@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I would treat missile salvos as minion groups that can't
      damage you
      > > > until they're in the same zone as you. They move one zone per
      > > > exchange, and you have that many exchanges to try to destroy
      them
      > > > before they damage you.
      > >
      > > I like it. I also think that an evading pilot should be able
      to give the missile group stress by
      > > sheer maneuvering.
      >
      > Outfly or outshoot, either one should be a valid tactic. :)
      >
      > --
      > Hollis McCray
      > Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904
      >
      > Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the
      following
      > awesome RPGs:
      > Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
      > Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
      > PDQ: Http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com
      > Risus: http://risus.cumberlandgames.com
      > Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.

      nice ideas chaps!

      Oh you know there's the Sotc business card you can get? How about a
      Star Patrol card for Starblazer?

      Or I'm looking at a perspex spaceship keyring for guys or necklage
      for girls? Very cute :-)

      We've got some t-shirts coming along too using some art from one of
      the covers with a spread of Star Patrol fighters rocketing across
      the whole front of the t-shirt. Once it's approved I'll show you
      what I mean!
    • frunder
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1 4:36 AM
        > nice ideas chaps!
        >
        > Oh you know there's the Sotc business card you can get? How about a
        > Star Patrol card for Starblazer?
        >
        > Or I'm looking at a perspex spaceship keyring for guys or necklage
        > for girls? Very cute :-)
        >
        > We've got some t-shirts coming along too using some art from one of
        > the covers with a spread of Star Patrol fighters rocketing across
        > the whole front of the t-shirt. Once it's approved I'll show you
        > what I mean!

        Looking forward to seeing it!
      • argyleashtree
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1 5:55 AM
          No, the only thing you should be initially worrying about is the WAVE
          MOTION CANNON!!!

          :-)

          This sounds boss, though. Hope you post it. Would love to read it.
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 1 7:26 AM
            argyleashtree wrote:
            No, the only thing you should be initially worrying about is the WAVE
            MOTION CANNON!!!

            Only if they were talking Starblazers (70's anime that I watched when I was wee), not Starblazer (70's-80's british sci-fi comic that featured a sort of rock and roll space opera sensibility).

            It's the latter. :)

            Fred Hicks
            Evil Hat Productions - www.evilhat.com
            Indie Press Revolution - www.indiepressrevolution.com
            Fight for the Underdog at the Ennies! - www.summer-revolution.com

            :-)

            This sounds boss, though.  Hope you post it.  Would love to read it.

            | Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
            | SOTC * http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
            | DFRPG * http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:FateRPG-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:FateRPG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Paul Caughell
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 1 11:02 AM
              C'mon, what 70's-80's sci-fi comic wouldn't be improved by adding a wave-motion gun?

              On 8/1/07, Fred Hicks < evilhat@...> wrote:

              argyleashtree wrote:

              No, the only thing you should be initially worrying about is the WAVE
              MOTION CANNON!!!
              Only if they were talking Starblazers (70's anime that I watched when I was wee), not Starblazer (70's-80's british sci-fi comic that featured a sort of rock and roll space opera sensibility).

              It's the latter. :)

              Fred Hicks
              Evil Hat Productions - www.evilhat.com Indie Press Revolution - www.indiepressrevolution.com Fight for the Underdog at the Ennies! - www.summer-revolution.com

              :-)

              This sounds boss, though. Hope you post it. Would love to read it.

              | Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/ | SOTC * http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit | DFRPG * http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
              Yahoo! Groups Links

              ---
              Paul Caughell
              webwolf1@...
              http://www.livejournal.com/users/sanity_cheque/
            • argyleashtree
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 1 12:39 PM
                Like bacon, adding Wave-Motion gun to ANYTHING makes it automatically
                a better thing than when it started. You kidding me, there is
                actually a Wave Motion Gun-less Starblazer(s) show?? What fresh hell
                is that? :-D

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Caughell" <webwolf1@...> wrote:

                > C'mon, what 70's-80's sci-fi comic wouldn't be improved by adding a
                > wave-motion gun?
                >
                > On 8/1/07, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > argyleashtree wrote:
                > >
                > > No, the only thing you should be initially worrying about is the WAVE
                > > MOTION CANNON!!!
                > >
                > > Only if they were talking Starblazer*s* (70's anime that I
                watched when I
                > > was wee), not Starblazer (70's-80's british sci-fi comic that
                featured a
                > > sort of rock and roll space opera sensibility).
                > >
                > > It's the latter. :)
                > >
                > > Fred Hicks
                > > Evil Hat Productions - www.evilhat.com
                > > Indie Press Revolution - www.indiepressrevolution.com
                > > Fight for the Underdog at the Ennies! - www.summer-revolution.com
                > >

                > > :-)
                > >
                > > This sounds boss, though. Hope you post it. Would love to read it.
                > >

                > > | Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
                > > | SOTC * http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
                > > | DFRPG * http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > ---
                > Paul Caughell
                > webwolf1@...
                > http://www.livejournal.com/users/sanity_cheque/

              • Darren Hill
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 1 12:59 PM
                  For those of us oblivious to anime, what is a wave motion gun?

                  Darren

                • Paul Caughell
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 1 1:08 PM
                    OOh, a wave motion virgin!!

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-1zWsXFNs

                    Behold Starblazers in it's 70's glory!

                    On 8/1/07, Darren Hill <rpglists@...> wrote:

                    For those of us oblivious to anime, what is a wave motion gun?

                    Darren

                    ---
                    Paul Caughell
                    webwolf1@...
                    http://www.livejournal.com/users/sanity_cheque/
                  • Michael Hopcroft
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 1 1:08 PM
                      Darren Hill wrote:
                      > For those of us oblivious to anime, what is a wave motion gun?

                      The original DPTTAMP! starship[ weapon. As in "Don't point that thing at
                      my planet!" -- it was a massive energy beam mounted down the spine of
                      the Space Battleship Yamato that could vaporize planets or even suns on
                      a direct hit. (I'm not sure how creator Leiji Matsumoto tried to
                      describe how it worked, but given that he had built his vessel around
                      the near-disintegrated remains of the original WWII Imperial Japanese
                      flagship it must have involved enormous quantities of handwavium).

                      Matsumoto was fond throughout his career of some of the most improbable
                      starship designs imaginable, such as one built around the concept of
                      railroads and many, many space vessels inspired by Terran naval designs.
                      And he would wrap these incredible, mad designs around innovative and
                      disturbing story concepts; Yamato's crew was on a hopeless race against
                      time to prevent human extinction, the story of Galaxy Express 999 was a
                      transhumanist saga before there was even such a word as transhumanism,
                      and his legendary hero Captain Harlock celebrates the eternal quandaries
                      of loyalty, rebellion and honor -- in a universe where duplicity and
                      cowardice are orders of the day, he is true to himself and attracts
                      others who feel the same way, regardless of consequences -- and for it
                      is labeled a pirate and a rebel.

                      Still, I suspect he labored most of his life in near ignorance on how
                      space travel actually works....
                    • yasmine_bint_salim
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 1 1:59 PM
                        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Hill" <rpglists@...> wrote:

                        > For those of us oblivious to anime, what is a wave motion gun?
                        >
                        > Darren

                        In the TV Series Space Crusier Yamato (AKA Starblazers in the US), the
                        wave motion gun is the ship's main weapon system. Essentially the ship
                        is sort of built around it It is very powerful. It takes some time to
                        charge up, but virtually destroys anything in the path of the beam.

                        The big drawback of the weapon is that the relative long time required
                        for enegy build up and that the weapon drains a lot of the ship's
                        power. In the series, a lot of tension is created by having th crew
                        try to time the shot just right, and aiming to make sure of a hit.

                        In the first series the weapon is pretty much the last dicth
                        unbeatable weapon, although the enemy aliens do eventually try to plan
                        for it.

                        In the second series, Humans got sock of cocky about this superweapon,
                        and had out collective noses bloodied when when ran into a foe who
                        could defend against it.

                        In FATE terms the weapon would destroy just about anything it hits,
                        although there is a instance or two where a ship takes a glacing hit
                        and "only" loses the part in the blast, so you might want to limit it
                        to something like inflciting two consequence per stress, allowing foes
                        to survive a poor shot.
                      • D Edward Sauve
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 1 2:03 PM
                          Chris wrote:
                          > - Allow a limited no. of tag's per combat to wearer to get bonuses,
                          > these can be 'damaged' or reduced if opponents get spin
                          > - Allow defender to take extra consquences - light armour = light
                          > consquence for example.
                          > - Allow defender to take extra stress
                          > - Reduces stress inflicted by a successful hit
                          - Allows you to assign a number of consequences to the armor instead of
                          stress/ consequences to you. Light armor might take a single minor
                          consequence. Power armor might have gadgets tied to it and be able to
                          take a few minor, mod, and major cons.

                          The rub is, once it's "full" at any one thresh hold, your foe can can
                          advantage of that to make you hake take stress/ consequence yourself. I
                          can see this working dramatically: You pepper the guy with power armor
                          with small arms until he gets that last minor consequence... "A ha! Now,
                          he has a Chink in His Armor (tag)! I've got to Make This Next Shot
                          Count! (invoking own cliche, for a +4 and a chance at that one shot that
                          will indeed count).

                          Thoughts?
                          --
                          Eddie
                        • Darren Hill
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 1 3:08 PM

                            Sounds like several exchanges of taking manoeuvres or declarations to
                            establish free tags, so when they finally fire, they really fire! So
                            maybe it _requires_ a number of free tags available before it can be
                            used!

                            As an aside, in my game on Monday night, one of my players unleashed an
                            attack using five free tags and 4-5 fate points to trigger his own
                            aspects. It caused his opponent to use his last 4 fate points and be
                            Taken Out.
                            The fate point spending part of it was to-and-fro, and was pretty fun.

                            Darren
                          • Darren Hill
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 1 3:08 PM
                              From: FateRPG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FateRPG@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                              Of Paul Caughell
                              <<OOh, a wave motion virgin!!

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-1zWsXFNs

                              Behold Starblazers in it's 70's glory!>>

                              Heh, that was pretty funny. What fantastic effects! ;)

                              Darren
                            • Hollis McCray
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 1 3:16 PM
                                On 8/1/07, Paul Caughell <webwolf1@...> wrote:

                                > OOh, a wave motion virgin!!
                                >
                                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-1zWsXFNs
                                >
                                > Behold Starblazers in it's 70's glory!

                                Wow... I haven't seen that in forever. Thanks for that flashback; it
                                borught a tear to my eye.
                                --
                                Hollis McCray
                                Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904

                                Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the following
                                awesome RPGs:
                                Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
                                Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
                                PDQ: Http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com
                                Risus: http://risus.cumberlandgames.com
                                Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.
                              • Chris Birch
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 2 2:24 AM
                                  Message
                                  [que terrible mafia accent] "Hey! You wanna some wave-motion gun in de game, I'm gonna give you some wave-motion gun in de game, who say uncle chris no looka after is buddies eh? EH?"

                                  ...except ours, my dears, will have a decidedly more proper British name, hehe!

                                  Chris Birch
                                  Joystick Junkies
                                  Charlcote House
                                  101 Crawford Street
                                  London. W1H 2HP
                                  Tel: +44 (0) 207 724 9243
                                  Mobile: 07913 273962
                                  http://www.joystickjunkies.com

                                  http://www.myspace.com/joystickjunkies
                                  http://www.facebook.com Find us in Groups: 'Joystick Junkies'

                                • Renato
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 2 2:44 AM
                                    On 8/2/07, Chris Birch <chris@...> wrote:

                                    > ...except ours, my dears, will have a decidedly more proper British name, hehe!

                                    Like... uhm...

                                    Massive Acceleration Wave Cannon, MarkIV

                                    MAW, Mk3

                                    'cause, you know, the front side of your ship will have this huge open maw...

                                    :)
                                    --
                                    Renato Ramonda
                                  • solomoncane
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 2 8:03 AM
                                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris@...> wrote:

                                      > We're working on the front cover this week and it's looking awesome
                                      > already!

                                      Have you decided upon the physical size of the printed book?

                                      Curious,
                                      solomoncane
                                    • Chris
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 2 10:21 AM
                                        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Renato <renato.ramonda@...> wrote:

                                        > On 8/2/07, Chris Birch <chris@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > ...except ours, my dears, will have a decidedly more proper
                                        British name, hehe!

                                        > Like... uhm...
                                        >
                                        > Massive Acceleration Wave Cannon, MarkIV
                                        >
                                        > MAW, Mk3
                                        >
                                        > 'cause, you know, the front side of your ship will have this huge
                                        open maw...

                                        > :)
                                        > --
                                        > Renato Ramonda

                                        ah like it!
                                      • Chris
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 2 10:25 AM
                                          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "solomoncane" <mozart198@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > We're working on the front cover this week and it's looking
                                          awesome
                                          > > already!
                                          > >

                                          > Have you decided upon the physical size of the printed book?
                                          >
                                          > Curious,
                                          > solomoncane

                                          it's likely to be the standard rpg book size so we hit the book
                                          market too, though I am exploring what the options are. I did like
                                          the idea of doing it, similar to Sotc, in the same size as the
                                          original comic book but it wouldn't do all the fab artwork justice
                                          and it would limit the space severaly
                                        • yasmine_bint_salim
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 2 10:54 AM
                                            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Hill" <rpglists@...> wrote:

                                            > Sounds like several exchanges of taking manoeuvres or declarations to
                                            > establish free tags, so when they finally fire, they really fire! So
                                            > maybe it _requires_ a number of free tags available before it can be
                                            > used!
                                            >
                                            > As an aside, in my game on Monday night, one of my players unleashed an
                                            > attack using five free tags and 4-5 fate points to trigger his own
                                            > aspects. It caused his opponent to use his last 4 fate points and be
                                            > Taken Out.
                                            > The fate point spending part of it was to-and-fro, and was pretty fun.
                                            >
                                            > Darren

                                            I wouldn't say that it requires a bunch of free tags. MOre like you
                                            don't really want to take the shot if you don't have a really good
                                            cahnce to hit.

                                            In SOTC terms, It takes several exhances for the weapon to build up to
                                            be ready to fire, and that the character firing the weapon (usually
                                            Kodai/Derek) puts a "targeted" aspect on whatever he is going to shoot at.

                                            Afterwards, the Yamato would probsably take a "reduced power" tag.

                                            I7ll check the anime and see how long it takes to charge/fire, just
                                            how much the enrgy drain hurts the ship (the weapon if powered
                                            directly from the ships FTL wave motion engines), and how long it
                                            takes to get ready for a second shot.
                                          • yasmine_bint_salim
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 2 11:00 AM
                                              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Renato <renato.ramonda@...> wrote:

                                              > On 8/2/07, Chris Birch <chris@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > ...except ours, my dears, will have a decidedly more proper
                                              British name, hehe!

                                              > Like... uhm...
                                              >
                                              > Massive Acceleration Wave Cannon, MarkIV
                                              >
                                              > MAW, Mk3
                                              >
                                              > 'cause, you know, the front side of your ship will have this huge
                                              open maw...

                                              > :)
                                              > --
                                              > Renato Ramonda

                                              Well, I think the orginal English translation was "Undulation Cannon",
                                              but that got changed to "Wave Motion Gun" in Stablzers since it was
                                              felt that young American Boys were too stupid to figure out what words
                                              such as "Undulation" or "Cannon" mean.

                                              Undulation, maybe, but we all know that Cannon is some sort of camera
                                              or copy machine, right? ;)
                                            • Hollis McCray
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 2 1:09 PM
                                                On 8/2/07, Chris <chris@...> wrote:

                                                > it's likely to be the standard rpg book size so we hit the book
                                                > market too, though I am exploring what the options are. I did like
                                                > the idea of doing it, similar to Sotc, in the same size as the
                                                > original comic book but it wouldn't do all the fab artwork justice
                                                > and it would limit the space severaly

                                                One of the things I like about SotC is its small size, which lends to
                                                portability. It's an easy book to throw in on top of the books for
                                                your other system. (Adds to its backup playability!)

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 3 12:00 AM
                                                  On 8/2/07, yasmine_bint_salim <yasmine_bint_salim@...> wrote:

                                                  > In SOTC terms, It takes several exhances for the weapon to build up to
                                                  > be ready to fire, and that the character firing the weapon (usually
                                                  > Kodai/Derek) puts a "targeted" aspect on whatever he is going to shoot at.

                                                  Well, another way to do this (the slow build up of power, preparing
                                                  the ship, pointing it carefully, and so on) would be to use a
                                                  dedicated stress track: each crewman rolls his particular skill (the
                                                  captain rolls Leadership, the Engineer rolls (duh) engineering, the
                                                  Navigator rolls Piloting, the gunner rolls his BFG Skill). The
                                                  opposing roll could well be from the enemy crew/whatever.

                                                  When you fill the stress track and you go for a Consequence, then you fire.

                                                  ...completely untested and out of my ass :)

                                                  Also, it could be a bit too much of a minigame hassle, unless you are
                                                  centering a game on a crew with a yamato-like gun.

                                                  > Afterwards, the Yamato would probsably take a "reduced power" tag.

                                                  Oh, yeah. A "Low Power" aspect AND a "Slow to maneuver" aspect, both
                                                  freely taggable by any survivors to the huge shot (if any).

                                                  --
                                                  Renato Ramonda
                                                • yasmine_bint_salim
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 3 8:00 AM
                                                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Renato <renato.ramonda@...> wrote:

                                                    > Well, another way to do this (the slow build up of power, preparing
                                                    > the ship, pointing it carefully, and so on) would be to use a
                                                    > dedicated stress track: each crewman rolls his particular skill (the
                                                    > captain rolls Leadership, the Engineer rolls (duh) engineering, the
                                                    > Navigator rolls Piloting, the gunner rolls his BFG Skill). The
                                                    > opposing roll could well be from the enemy crew/whatever.
                                                    >
                                                    > When you fill the stress track and you go for a Consequence, then
                                                    you fire.

                                                    > ...completely untested and out of my ass :)

                                                    This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for
                                                    the setting/ship. The idea of skill rolls building up a stress track
                                                    (and tension)is great for "we need this to work in 60 seconds or we'll
                                                    all dead" sort of situations. It is just I don't recall the power
                                                    build up as being that variable/controllable. More like hit the
                                                    switch, wait the alooted time for the build up, then spend a turn or
                                                    two aiming, the fire.

                                                    I am gonna half to rewatch some Yamato stuff over the weekend and pay
                                                    attention to the details on how the use the gun in the stories.