Re: [FateRPG] Re: Some help with a Con Game....

  • Highmoon Media Productions
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2007
      Folks, when you're done with these covers, would you mind posting them to the group, or at least a link to them, so we can see them? That'd be cool.

      Renato <renato.ramonda@...> wrote:
      Ok, I did The Bat's Shadow too :)
      --
      Renato Ramonda

      | Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
      | SOTC * http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
      | DFRPG * http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
      mailto:FateRPG-digest@yahoogroups.com
      mailto:FateRPG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Daniel M. Perez
      ---
      Highmoon Media Productions - www.HighmoonMedia.com
      The Gamer Traveler Podcast - www.TheGamerTraveler.com

      Products available at: RPGnow.com & DriveThruRPG.com.

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

    • Renato
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2007
        Just to boast a bit, I'd like to mention that some time ago I used the
        cover for his pulp character to craft a birthday gift for one of my
        players.

        I printed the cover, and used it to "wrap" the cover of a really nifty
        drawing book with blank pages (the player is an artist). The book
        itself has a hard spine, made with cloth, and a plain black cardboard
        cover and backcover.

        You can see a (crappy) photo of the book here: makes for a nifty prop :)

        http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/renatoram/pulpNovels/?action=view¤t=00004.jpg

        (it's the "italian edition", btw :) )

        --
        Renato Ramonda
      • Renato
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 8, 2007
          On 7/1/07, Highmoon Media Productions <halwhitewyrm@...> wrote:

          > Folks, when you're done with these covers, would you mind posting them to the group, or at least a link to them, so we can see them? That'd be cool.

          Well, I've managed to do only some, and you can see them on my blog:

          http://renatoram.wordpress.com

          --
          Renato Ramonda
        • Matthew Skipper
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 8, 2007
            Hey,

            I'm new to Fate and SotC. I was wondering how well the system works for a
            fantasy style game? Any pointers or magic system suggestions? I like the
            magic systems in the Fate 2.0 rules, but something like the Great Library
            would need lots of work before being usable (I'd think).

            Anyway, any advice or anecdotes would be greatly apprciated. Thanks!

            Matthew

            http://liveearth.msn.com
          • douglaedtke@att.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 9, 2007

              Matthew,

              Welcome to the list!

              I'm shocked that there hasn't been a stampede of people responding and telling you how absolutely brilliant SotC is for fantasy. Shocked, I say. So let me be the first.

              IMHO, the game hits the sweet spot for heroic fantasy dead center. In its SotC incarnation it's uber-pulpy, but that turns out to make it easily adaptable to the fantastic. Indeed, my pulp game runs perilously close to fantasy anyway... but that's just how I roll. :)

              For my heroic fantasy rebuild of SotC -- so far all I've had to do is change a few skills (and add a few to shift the emphasis -- break riding out of Survival, subdivide Mysteries for the usual fantasy RPG arcane/divine dichotomy, etc.) and add/rename some stunts. I've been thinking long and hard about changes that need to be made for it to work as fantasy and, in the end, I find that I'm usually OK with the way it's written. The only thing I'm not completely happy with yet is weapon and armor interaction... but I remain convinced that's easily solveable

              My group started playing straight SotC some months ago to get a feel for the system and we've enjoyed it so much that I haven't needed to break out my fantasy remix in actual play yet. I know there are others on the list who *have* run fantasy, though, so hopefully you'll get some more concrete information soon.

              -------------- Original message from "Matthew Skipper" <cam_lists@...>: --------------

              Hey,

              I'm new to Fate and SotC. I was wondering how well the system works for a
              fantasy style game? Any pointers or magic system suggestions? I like the
              magic systems in the Fate 2.0 rules, but something like the Great Library
              would need lots of work before being usable (I'd think).

              Anyway, any advice or anecdotes would be greatly apprciated. Thanks!

              Matthew

              http://liveearth. msn.com

            • Mel White
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 9, 2007
                Hi,
                I'm playing in a fantasy game using SOTC as a base. The game is
                derived from an older D&D campaign, so we're using as aspects
                certain holdovers from the earlier game. Things like character
                class and alignment become aspects, and character 'level' becomes an
                aspect that affects how many times certain stunts can be used. The
                magic system is derived from various SOTC concepts. Summoning
                spirits or creatures is similar to making declarations, with animal
                or spirit companion rules used to define the summoned creature--
                things like that.
                I've posted a podcast with an excerpt of an early game. You can
                find it at Virtual Play (http://virtualplay.podbus.com) if you're
                interested.
                There is also an excerpt from the SOTC game I ran at Origins for a
                more typical SOTC game.
                Mel

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Skipper" <cam_lists@...>
                wrote:

                > Hey,
                >
                > I'm new to Fate and SotC. I was wondering how well the system
                works for a
                > fantasy style game? Any pointers or magic system suggestions? I
                like the
                > magic systems in the Fate 2.0 rules, but something like the Great
                Library
                > would need lots of work before being usable (I'd think).
                >
                > Anyway, any advice or anecdotes would be greatly apprciated.
                Thanks!

                > Matthew

                > http://liveearth.msn.com

              • Darren Brewster
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 10, 2007
                  I have run a successful Iron Kingdoms campaign with SotC. There should
                  be threads on here somewhere about them. If you would like me to point
                  them out, let me know (I am at work and don't have time to go looking
                  right now).