Re: Just Wondering

  • Melanie Nilles
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
      I'm new here--have been lurking since joining--but I'm usually too
      busy with all the other forums I'm on.

      Your comments caught my attention, Bill.

      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Garthright"
      <billg@...> wrote:
      > they may suffer setbacks or even die, their basic decency is what
      > triumphs in the end. Evil, after all, has natural disadvantages, and
      > "good' doesn't have to mean "stupid."

      You can join bar.baen.com and discuss with the authors.

      Oh, and that last line made me think of a quote from Spaceballs: "Evil
      will always win, 'cause good is stupid." Of course, that was making
      fun of other stories.

      > span, I suppose. But I don't want to read about people I don't like (if
      > I don't care what happens to them, why finish the book?), and an author
      > really has to get me interested in his character or characters right
      > from the start.

      I think that applies to most people, at least those of us who have
      been depressed and in the pits before finding our strides. I feel the
      same way about characters. In fact, most writing groups stress
      creating empathy for characters. Unfortunately, half the books I pick
      up because they sound interesting don't work for me and I never finish
      them. I like an emotional attachment to the characters from the start
      with good writing. But that's just me. It's why I'm so picky about
      what I read, and it gets worse as I get older!

      I'm glad to know I'm not the only one like this.

      Melanie
    • darkomik772000
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
        The heroes I'd prefer would be people like Beowulf or Hercules of
        the classical mythology or Conan the Cimmerian for that matter.
        Heroes without serious flaws do not appeal to me. Stupid people
        don't appeal to me either. I'd rather the heroes use their brains to
        get themselves out of terrible situations. I'd also like them to
        make some serious errors of judgment that could be redeemable without
        any of that sheer stupidity involved, after all that's what makes
        them human.
        For example, Jason of the Argonauts was the hero that stole the
        Golden Fleece, but real tragedy in his later life when he made a
        serious error of judgment by bringing home another woman thus
        provoking Medea to commit grievous acts of murder. Conan is no
        saint. He practically kills anybody who got in his way when he had
        his mind set on a goal he wanted to achieve. And the results are
        sometimes tragic depending upon the story you read as he continues
        his journey. And yet the goals he set himself to achieve, usually
        ended in disappointments.
        It's stories like these that make it classic that involves the hero
        where tragic errors of judgment can either do them in or at least
        redeems themselves in some fashion or another. However, these heroes
        don't necessarily have to be archetypes, because in the end they
        become endless variations of a cliche.
      • Gloria
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 18, 2007
          Hey there, Melanie!

          Gloria Oliver
          www.gloriaoliver.com
          Unveiling the Fantastic

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 18, 2007
            Thanks! Always happy to meet a fellow writer. Nice website, btw.
            Mine's pretty plain compared to that.

            Melanie
            www.melanienilles.com

            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria" <gioliver@...> wrote:

            > Hey there, Melanie!
            >
            > Gloria Oliver
            > www.gloriaoliver.com
            > Unveiling the Fantastic
          • Gloria
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 20, 2007
              Heh heh thanks. Been a labor of love and pain for years. Heh heh. You'll
              get there.

              Gloria Oliver
              www.gloriaoliver.com
              Unveiling the Fantastic