My January reads

  • pamlou1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- A+
      Harry Potter and the Goblet of FIre--A+
      Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix--A+
      Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--A+
      The Abhorsen Trilogy: Sabriel--B
      The Abhorsen Trilogy: Lirael--B+

      Excellent month for me.

      Pam from Texas
      So many books and emails
      So little time

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        Interesting Pam, what was it about Lirael that made you give it a higher
        rating than Sabriel?

      • pamlou1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          In a message dated 2/1/2007 8:10:29 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          petas@... writes:

          Interesting Pam, what was it about Lirael that made you give it a higher
          rating than Sabriel?
          **************
          For some reason the book didn't grab my attention until toward the end of
          Sabriel and I found Lirael's character to be more interesting. I've only just
          begun the final book and have a feeling it will be very exciting.

          Pam from Texas
          So many books and emails
          So little time

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
            > Interesting Pam, what was it about Lirael that made you give it a higher
            > rating than Sabriel?
            > *****************
            > > For some reason the book didn't grab my attention until toward the end
            > > of
            > Sabriel and I found Lirael's character to be more interesting. I've only
            > just
            > begun the final book and have a feeling it will be very exciting.

            ***********************

            I enjoyed all three books, I thought Sabriel was the best followed by Lirael
            and Abhorsen. I loved the concept of the magic Old Kingdom and non-magic
            "modern" world existing side by side as well as the system of charter magic
            where adepts pluck symbols out of the flow to create the spells they need.
            Quite original. Also the different layers of death and the system of bells
            used to command the dead. I book-marked the page with the descriptions of
            the uses of the bells and referred to it quite a bit. Sabriel was a very
            plucky character thrown into a situation almost out of her depth and
            experimenting as she went along - almost discovering the world at the same
            time we did. I was hooked immediately. Lirael was good but didn't have quite
            the spark of originality (to me) as Sabriel.
            Peta
          • karl barnes
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
              I agree with Peta. Sabriel was a more compelling character. She had an inner strenght that seemed to be lacking in Lirael. Though I loved all of the trilogy, Sabriel's story stood out the most and I would have wished to read more about her adventures.