Re: [Fantasy_Books] Thorne Smith

  • William C. Garthright
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2007
      > I loved Thorne Smith! My first book by him was Turnabout.

      I've got a few of his books, including "Turnabout" (also "The Stray
      Lamb" and "The Glorious Pool"). But it's been a long time since I've
      read them, so I don't remember much. But I've got a weakness for
      humorous books. In fact, I prefer some humor in all of my reads.

      > I also remember watching Topper on TV when I was a little girl.

      I remember that. How about the movie with Cary Grant? Not when it first
      came out (which was in 1937), but I'm sure I've seen it at some point. I
      remember Cary Grant as a ghost, anyway.

      Sir, there is a distinct difference between having an open mind and
      having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out. - James Randi
    • Lynne M Ramsdell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2007
        The only Thorne Smith I've read is Night Life of the Gods. I loved
        it. Very funny. It's about what happens when the Greek/Roman Gods
        come to life in New York city.

        Thialynne

        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Garthright"
        <billg@...> wrote:

        > I've read a couple of fantasy books the last few days, though not
        > exactly the usual type. Both were written by Thorne Smith. The
        first was
        > "Topper" (1926), in which a staid banker meets a couple of
        alcoholic,
        > fun-loving ghosts. Very humorous and lots of fun to read. I
        recommend
        > it. The second was "The Passionate Witch" (1941), in which a
        similar man
        > - a wealthy, vegetarian teetotaler - rescues a naked woman from a
        fire
        > and ends up married to an evil witch. It's surprisingly risqué for
        1941,
        > and quite funny, though it does drag a bit in the last half of the
        book.
        > Note that this was published long after Smith's death in 1934, and
        it
        > was "completed" by Norman Matson (Wikipedia says it's mostly his
        work,
        > in fact). I can't help but think Thorne Smith would have done it
        better,
        > but it still wasn't at all bad.
        >
        > Bill
        >
        > --
        > There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these
        that
        > new discoveries are made. - Richard Feynman

      • William C. Garthright
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2007
          > The only Thorne Smith I've read is Night Life of the Gods. I loved it. Very funny. It's about what happens when the Greek/Roman Gods come to life in New York city.

          FYI, a number of Thorne Smith's books, including that one, are available
          on-line, but not for Americans (our copyright extends for a longer
          period than in some other countries).

          If you don't live in the U.S., you might check out:

          http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Smith%2c%20Thorne%2c%201892%2d1934

          We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and
          to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and
          his children smart. - H. L. Mencken