Re: [Fantasy_Books] Malazan

  • william@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 18, 2007
      On 18 Jan 2007 at 9:26, Jennifer wrote:

      > Has anyone else gotten sucked into Steven Erikson's Malazan series? I
      > was hooked after book one. Problem is that I feel like I can't read
      > anything else until I get through all of the (published) books in the
      > series because there are SO many characters and subplots. I'm 3/4 of
      > the way through book 3 (books are around 1000 pages, give or take a 100,
      > I think) and the story gets better and better.
      >
      > Jennifer

      I've read the first 6 books in the series. I like them a lot, although Erikson does have
      some significant flaws as a writer. Books 2 and 3 are the best so far.

      --
      William Marnoch
      william@...
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 19, 2007
        On 19 Jan 2007 at 12:38, Leigh L. wrote:

        > >> Has anyone else gotten sucked into Steven Erikson's Malazan series?
        > >> I was hooked after book one. Problem is that I feel like I can't
        > >> read anything else until I get through all of the (published) books
        > >> in the series because there are SO many characters and subplots.
        > >
        > > I've read the first 6 books in the series. I like them a lot,
        > > although Erikson does have some significant flaws as a writer.
        > > Books 2 and 3 are the best so far.
        >
        > I'm up to four so far, with Midnight Tides hovering fairly high on the
        > To Be Read list - I *want* to read it, but I know what you mean, it
        > does feel like a big commitment. Especially as there's no summary,
        > recap, timeline etc. in any of the books so I always feel like I'll be
        > left floundering if I don't skim through the previous book to see where
        > everyone is before starting the next...

        I'll have to re-read the series sometime, because I know I'll notice a lot of things I hadn't
        noticed on my first read through. I tried reading some of the threads on the Malazan
        forums talking about the books, but I couldn't remember a large proportion of the things
        they were talking about.

        By the way, "Midnight Tides" is a prequel to the previous 4 books and doesn't feature the
        same characters (with a couple of small exceptions), therefore don't feel you have to re-
        read any of the previous books to understand it. On the other hand, book 6 - "The
        Bonehunters" is simultaneously a sequel to the different plot threads in books 3,4 and 5
        and depends heavily on what happened in those books.

        > Very good stuff though. I'd also agree with 2 and 3 being the best so
        > far (2 in particular).

        I'd probably rater them 2, 3, 5, 6, 4, 1