Re: D.W.'s series and recommendations

  • Robert_Kerr@computacenter.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
      From: "Tim Andrews" <ireand@...>

      > I think that David Gamell has been missed out... what do you all think of
      > him?

      I haven't read any Gemmel for ages, but I remember liking the Sipstrassi novels.
      Did he write the Count Brass books, too?

      I finally stopped reading when I tired of the Celtic mythos (though that may
      have
      something to do with my reading Stephen Lawhead at the same time). I must
      start again. Some of his recent novels have looked interesting. Wasn't
      "Waylander"
      one of his?

      Maybe it's just me, but does anyone feel that British fantasists are starting to
      turn out
      a lot of "darker" fantasy recently? The tone of fantasy in Britain is getting
      increasingly morose, whereas in America, there are bucketloads of series that
      allow you to forget the state of the world. I think this was one of the trends
      that
      made me stop reading celtic fantasy -- most of it is dour, and after a while,
      you
      can only take so much.

      What do you think?

      Rob Kerr