RE: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Hi there! I just joined this group and am interested in hearing fro

  • Gloria & John Oliver
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7 3:50 PM
      Ah, totally enjoyed Perdido Street though it won't be for all tastes. As I
      have a bad tendency to do, read the sequel first. I was very lost, he does
      not do much to acclimate the reader to the world he already set up in
      Perdido Street, which was a pity for anyone who might want to pick it up but
      had not read the other.

      Gloria Oliver
      www.gloriaoliver.com
      Unveiling the Fantastic

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7 9:20 PM

        >> Has anyone read Kate Forsyth? I just read The Tower of Ravens, the
        >> first in her Rhiannon series, which I guess comes after her other Witch
        >> seres? I enjoyed the book, but am wondering if I should go back and
        >> read her other series first. Thoughts?

        I would read them in order as the second series is basically a continuation.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7 9:49 PM
          There is a sequel to Perdido Street Station? What is it called?
          Peta
        • Edwin Phua
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7 10:58 PM
            There are two sequels: The Scar; and Iron Council.

            Both are great books too.

            Cheers!
            Edwin

            .

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7 11:46 PM
              > There are two sequels: The Scar; and Iron Council.
              >
              > Both are great books too.
              >
              > Cheers!
              > Edwin

              They are set in the same world as Perdido Street Station but they don't have
              any of the same characters do they?
              Peta
            • Edwin Phua
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7 11:57 PM
                The Scar makes references to the protagonist of Perdido Street Station, Isaac, but no major characters make a reappearance.

                Iron Council is set quite a few years after the events of Perdido Street Station, and only Yagharek the garuda appears again (if I remember correctly).

                So, generally, the sequels more or less stand independently.

                Cheers!
                Edwin

                > There are two sequels: The Scar; and Iron Council.
                >
                > Both are great books too.
                >
                > Cheers!
                > Edwin

                They are set in the same world as Perdido Street Station but they don't have
                any of the same characters do they?

              • Richard Claypool
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8 9:10 AM
                  there is?
                  I can't see it being a good read. Reminds me of the person who wrote the
                  sequel to gone with the wind.

                  Rick
                • Richard Claypool
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 8 9:11 AM
                    I'd rather not read them. GThe ending of the original book was so unhappy
                    and realistic that to add to it would be to comprimise the art.

                    Rick

                    > The Scar makes references to the protagonist of Perdido Street Station,
                    > Isaac, but no major characters make a reappearance.
                    >
                    > Iron Council is set quite a few years after the events of Perdido Street
                    > Station, and only Yagharek the garuda appears again (if I remember
                    > correctly).
                    >
                    > So, generally, the sequels more or less stand independently.
                    >
                    > Cheers!
                    > Edwin

                  • Jennifer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 8 9:32 AM
                      >I would read them in order as the second series is basically a
                      continuation.
                      >Peta

                      I guess I'll have to add the rest of the Forsyth books to my
                      Paperbackswap.com wish list then. :-)

                      Jennifer