Re: Hi there! I just joined this group and am interested in hearing fro

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6 11:02 AM
      Welcome Kelley!

      Re: Dan's question...

      I really love Jim Butcher's urban fantasy series The Dresden Files. He
      is my current favorite in any genre.

      Has anyone read Kate Forsyth? I just read The Tower of Ravens, the
      first in her Rhiannon series, which I guess comes after her other Witch
      seres? I enjoyed the book, but am wondering if I should go back and
      read her other series first. Thoughts?

      Jennifer

    • Richard Claypool
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6 12:13 PM
        I just fianlly read
        China Miéville, Perdido Street Station a couple of months ago and was very
        very very impressed.

        Tim Powers, most of his books.
        Clive Barker, Imagika
        Raymond e Feist's Riftwar series.

        Sarm R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant the unbeliever chronikles

        Those are just to mention a few that poped into my head.

        There was a reader here like 4 years ago who used to bring up some
        interesting and different books. I don't miss the wars over Tolkien, but I
        do miss that person's perspectives and recomendations.

        I should start doing tht more often.

        Rick

        > I really love Jim Butcher's urban fantasy series The Dresden Files. He
        > is my current favorite in any genre.
        >

        > Has anyone read Kate Forsyth? I just read The Tower of Ravens, the
        > first in her Rhiannon series, which I guess comes after her other Witch
        > seres? I enjoyed the book, but am wondering if I should go back and
        > read her other series first. Thoughts?
        >

        > Jennifer

      • Gloria & John Oliver
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7 3:50 PM
          Ah, totally enjoyed Perdido Street though it won't be for all tastes. As I
          have a bad tendency to do, read the sequel first. I was very lost, he does
          not do much to acclimate the reader to the world he already set up in
          Perdido Street, which was a pity for anyone who might want to pick it up but
          had not read the other.

          Gloria Oliver
          www.gloriaoliver.com
          Unveiling the Fantastic

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7 9:20 PM

            >> Has anyone read Kate Forsyth? I just read The Tower of Ravens, the
            >> first in her Rhiannon series, which I guess comes after her other Witch
            >> seres? I enjoyed the book, but am wondering if I should go back and
            >> read her other series first. Thoughts?

            I would read them in order as the second series is basically a continuation.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7 9:49 PM
              There is a sequel to Perdido Street Station? What is it called?
              Peta
            • Edwin Phua
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7 10:58 PM
                There are two sequels: The Scar; and Iron Council.

                Both are great books too.

                Cheers!
                Edwin

                .

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7 11:46 PM
                  > There are two sequels: The Scar; and Iron Council.
                  >
                  > Both are great books too.
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  > Edwin

                  They are set in the same world as Perdido Street Station but they don't have
                  any of the same characters do they?
                  Peta
                • Edwin Phua
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7 11:57 PM
                    The Scar makes references to the protagonist of Perdido Street Station, Isaac, but no major characters make a reappearance.

                    Iron Council is set quite a few years after the events of Perdido Street Station, and only Yagharek the garuda appears again (if I remember correctly).

                    So, generally, the sequels more or less stand independently.

                    Cheers!
                    Edwin

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 8 9:10 AM
                      there is?
                      I can't see it being a good read. Reminds me of the person who wrote the
                      sequel to gone with the wind.

                      Rick
                    • Richard Claypool
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 8 9:11 AM
                        I'd rather not read them. GThe ending of the original book was so unhappy
                        and realistic that to add to it would be to comprimise the art.

                        Rick

                        > The Scar makes references to the protagonist of Perdido Street Station,
                        > Isaac, but no major characters make a reappearance.
                        >
                        > Iron Council is set quite a few years after the events of Perdido Street
                        > Station, and only Yagharek the garuda appears again (if I remember
                        > correctly).
                        >
                        > So, generally, the sequels more or less stand independently.
                        >
                        > Cheers!
                        > Edwin

                      • Jennifer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 8 9:32 AM
                          >I would read them in order as the second series is basically a
                          continuation.
                          >Peta

                          I guess I'll have to add the rest of the Forsyth books to my
                          Paperbackswap.com wish list then. :-)

                          Jennifer