Name That Book!

  • Robert Swarts
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
      Hey all!

      I was hoping someone here might be able to ID a book for me. I read it
      around 1987-88 and it was more sci-fi than fantasy, but I think many
      of us read both genres.

      The general plot was about a very bright girl who survives a nuclear
      holocaust because he father puts her in a shelter or some kind. It is
      written from the girl's PoV in the loose form of a journal. I'm pretty
      sketchy on the details, but I recall she meets a boy who drives a tank
      or APC and at some point in the story begins truncating her writing by
      cutting out words like 'a' and 'the'.

      Does anyone have a clue what this book was called?

      Oh, and my contribution to the fantasy classics: The Chronicals of
      Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. They were the first fantasy books I ever
      read; a gift from my godmother.

      Rob
    • Lynne M Ramsdell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
        The book is called Emergence. I believe the author's name is David
        Palmer. I have a copy around somewhere, so I can look at the author
        if you like.

        Thialynne

        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Swarts"
        <inetmonkey@y...> wrote:

        > Hey all!
        >
        > I was hoping someone here might be able to ID a book for me. I read it
        > around 1987-88 and it was more sci-fi than fantasy, but I think many
        > of us read both genres.
        >
        > The general plot was about a very bright girl who survives a nuclear
        > holocaust because he father puts her in a shelter or some kind. It is
        > written from the girl's PoV in the loose form of a journal. I'm pretty
        > sketchy on the details, but I recall she meets a boy who drives a tank
        > or APC and at some point in the story begins truncating her writing by
        > cutting out words like 'a' and 'the'.
        >
        > Does anyone have a clue what this book was called?
        >
        > Oh, and my contribution to the fantasy classics: The Chronicals of
        > Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. They were the first fantasy books I ever
        > read; a gift from my godmother.
        >
        > Rob

      • basel_santos
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
          Emergence by David Palmer.

          This author is probably the greatest source of frustration I have in my book collecting.

          His second (and last) book, "Threshold", was a great romp. The hero, destined by birth to father the person who would save the universe from a galaxy devouring thing, was forced by circumstance to do the saving himself. Given the ability of complete cellular control by "Majyk" wielding "whyjes", he had several great adventures and at the end of the book had acquired "Majyk" himself and was poised to save the universe.

          I have been waiting for the second book/sequel for more than a decade.

          If anybody has any news about the author or the second book, please post something.

          Anything.

          Please!

          Thanks.

        • Stewart Manby
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2006
            basel_santos <basetech@...> wrote:
            Emergence by David Palmer.

            This author is probably the greatest source of frustration I have in my book collecting.

            His second (and last) book, "Threshold", was a great romp. The hero, destined by birth to father the person who would save the universe from a galaxy devouring thing, was forced by circumstance to do the saving himself. Given the ability of complete cellular control by "Majyk" wielding "whyjes", he had several great adventures and at the end of the book had acquired "Majyk" himself and was poised to save the universe.

            I have been waiting for the second book/sequel for more than a decade.

            If anybody has any news about the author or the second book, please post something.

            Anything.

            Please!

            Thanks.

            ---------------------------------

            emergence is the first book and the second is threshold so you must be looking for the third yes? ill do some research and find out for you

          • Stewart Manby
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2006
              Stewart Manby <stewartmanby@...> wrote:

[...]

              Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report

              ---------------------------------

              other titles by david palmer are "special education" and "to halt armageddon" one of these may be your sequel

            • basel_santos
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
                Thanks for trying but as I said before "Threshold" was his last book.
                The books you found were never published.

                The name of the series was supposed to be "To halt armageddon".
                The titles were supposed to be Book 2. "Special Education" and Book 3,
                "Stolen Thunder".

                Hoping that he is still alive to be able to continue the series.

                On the other hand, if he is dead, maybe someone else could start
                writing the sequels? Hmmmm . . .

                Anybody interested in finding a way to defeat an energy-sucking
                creature the size of a galaxy?
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
                  .

                  > Anybody interested in finding a way to defeat an energy-sucking
                  > creature the size of a galaxy?

                  I'm sure Verner Vinge could do a good job!