name your a classic book

  • thorcory
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2005
      In your opinion what books are classics.
    • Stewart Manby
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2005
        classics of fantasy the lord of the rings trilogy of course and aside from that i cant think of much more as it is all a matter of preference from there on and we all know that the fantasy genre can be very esoteric at times so anyone else think of some fantasy classics go ahead

        oh how about the jackson and livingstone fighting fantasy books? only a thought

        thorcory <Corynielsen@...> wrote:
        In your opinion what books are classics.

        Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2005
          I second the Lord of the Rings of course. What about
          * Earthsea (Le Guin)
          * Gormenghast (Mervyn Peake)
          * Magician and other Midkemia books (Feist)
          * The Many Coloured Land (Julian May)

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2005
            I thought of Pern but isn't that really classed as science fiction rather
            than fantasy?

            I wouldn't have included Shannara as it is a LOR clone (imho)

            Can't comment on Dragonlance as I haven't read any!

            What about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

            > How about
            > Dragonlance Chronicles
            > Sword of shanarra
            > Dragons of Pern
            >

            > Peta Smith wrote:
            >
            >>I second the Lord of the Rings of course. What about
            >>* Earthsea (Le Guin)
            >>* Gormenghast (Mervyn Peake)
            >>* Magician and other Midkemia books (Feist)
            >>* The Many Coloured Land (Julian May)
            >>Peta

          • BONNIE BROYLES
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 5, 2005
              If you get a chance you should definatly read the dragonlance chronicles

              Peta Smith <petas@...> wrote: I thought of Pern but isn't that really classed as science fiction rather
              than fantasy?

              I wouldn't have included Shannara as it is a LOR clone (imho)

              Can't comment on Dragonlance as I haven't read any!

              What about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

              > How about
              > Dragonlance Chronicles
              > Sword of shanarra
              > Dragons of Pern
              >

              > Peta Smith wrote:
              >
              >>I second the Lord of the Rings of course. What about
              >>* Earthsea (Le Guin)
              >>* Gormenghast (Mervyn Peake)
              >>* Magician and other Midkemia books (Feist)
              >>* The Many Coloured Land (Julian May)
              >>Peta

              ---------------------------------

            • Uthayakumar K.E.
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 5, 2005
                As for me I prefer Shannara to be made in movie. Even it’s kind of replica of LOTR, worth reading. Some more the story never hang anywhere as LOTR. I read in Terry Brooks’s web pages that he plans to write a prelude. He does once with “The First King of Shannara”. By end of this year or early next month we can have a confirmed message from Mr. Terry.

                Uthaya

                K.E.Uthayakumar Krishnan

              • Gloria & John Oliver
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 6, 2005
                  Pern is more Fantasy than Sci-fi. While they came from another world and
                  whatnot, the tech level is low and has magic therefore defaults to fantasy.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 6, 2005
                    Magic ?? What magic? There is no magic in Pern
                    Peta

                    > Pern is more Fantasy than Sci-fi. While they came from another world and
                    > whatnot, the tech level is low and has magic therefore defaults to
                    > fantasy.
                  • Herod Antipas
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 6, 2005
                      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Peta Smith" <petas@o...>
                      wrote:

                      > Magic ?? What magic? There is no magic in Pern
                      > Peta

                      I would have to agree. In a funny sort of way, Pern is not either
                      one because it has nothing in it that is fantastical, unless you
                      count the dragons themselves, and even though it has a science
                      fictiony premise that the pernese are descended from space
                      travelers, nothing to do with science really comes in until late in
                      the series. I didi think they had much more of a fantasy feel, with
                      drudges, and lord holders, and keeps, and swordfights etc, mor
                      elikely to appeal to a person who likes fantasy, but the genre
                      basically defies easy classification. I can think of other examples

                      Gormenghast for example is a fantasy style setting, with no magic
                      and later in the books reveals an industrialized world

                      Can anyone think of others?
                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 7, 2005
                        Avoiding Tol-clones, as usual

                        Not all necessarily old books.

                        Lord Dunsany: The King of Elfland's Daughter
                        Barry Hughart: The Bridge of Birds
                        Hope Mirlees: Lud in the Mist
                        James Stoddard: The High House
                        Ian MacLeod: The Light Ages
                        A. Merritt: The Ship of Ishtar

                        Not all obscurities either.

                        /df/
                      • eelloxx
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 7, 2005
                          Well, in my opinion,

                          I have to say-
                          Another Fine Myth by Asprin-this book is classic in my mind because
                          it is the book that started me reading fantasy. It is a book that I
                          whole heartedly recommend to customers who come into the book I
                          manage and I see these people come back for the rest of the books
                          everytime.

                          Theives' World- The series is no doubt a classic. So many good
                          authors comming together to write in such a dark and gritty
                          atmosphere.

                          The first few Xanth books by Anthony- Fun, imaginative books that you
                          can't put down once you start. There wouldn't be 20+ books if they
                          weren't classic.

                          DragonDoom by McKiernan. This in my opinion is his best work. A
                          great adventure and a deeply emotional story. I loved it.

                          Martin's ASOIF- One of the best authors of the genre ever. I have
                          about 4 of my employees at the bookstore(who are not fantasy readers)
                          totally hooked on this one.

                          Watership Down by Adams- Don't think I have to explain this one.

                          Rob

                          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "thorcory" <Corynielsen@a...>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 7, 2005
                            You must include The Worm Ouroboros by Eddison!

                            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Dave <davef11789@o...> wrote:

                            > Avoiding Tol-clones, as usual
                            >
                            > Not all necessarily old books.
                            >
                            > Lord Dunsany: The King of Elfland's Daughter
                            > Barry Hughart: The Bridge of Birds
                            > Hope Mirlees: Lud in the Mist
                            > James Stoddard: The High House
                            > Ian MacLeod: The Light Ages
                            > A. Merritt: The Ship of Ishtar
                            >
                            > Not all obscurities either.
                            >
                            > /df/

                          • Ken Ogilvy
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2005
                              --- "Uthayakumar K.E." <uthk2002@...> wrote:

                              > As for me I prefer Shannara to be made in movie.
                              > Even it’s kind of replica of LOTR, worth reading.
                              > Some more the story never hang anywhere as LOTR. I
                              > read in Terry Brooks’s web pages that he plans to
                              > write a prelude. He does once with “The First King
                              > of Shannara”. By end of this year or early next
                              > month we can have a confirmed message from Mr.
                              > Terry.
                              >
                              > Uthaya

                              I have to agree, Sword of Shannara is a LOTR clone,
                              but with that
                              said he evolved as a writer and now I don't think his
                              world of Shannara is his own.

                              As for the prequel, yes that is plan, not quite sure
                              how he is going to do it but apparently he is writing
                              something about how the 4 lands came to be.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Gloria & John Oliver
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 8, 2005
                                lol! Maybe it's been too long. Been probably 15 years since I read one of
                                them.
                                Magic ?? What magic? There is no magic in Pern
                                Peta

                                > Pern is more Fantasy than Sci-fi. While they came from another world
                                and
                                > whatnot, the tech level is low and has magic therefore defaults to
                                > fantasy.

                                Service.

                              • Ken Ogilvy
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 8, 2005
                                  --- Ken Ogilvy <kogilvy1@...> wrote:

                                  > I have to agree, Sword of Shannara is a LOTR clone,
                                  > but with that
                                  > said he evolved as a writer and now I don't think
                                  > his
                                  > world of Shannara is his own.

                                  I really really have to check my writing

                                  I beleive I should have said

                                  I have to agree, Sword of Shannara is a LOTR clone,
                                  but with that said he evolved as a writer and now I
                                  think
                                  his world of Shannara is his own.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Quashnick
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 20, 2005
                                    I would say the obligatory LOTR. I would also add that George R. R.
                                    Martin's incomplete series "A Song of Ice and Fire" will be a classic.
                                  • karl barnes
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 21, 2005
                                      I loved E. R. Eddison's "The Worm Ourborus".

                                      Quashnick <quashnsa@...> wrote: I would say the obligatory LOTR. I would also add that George R. R.
                                      Martin's incomplete series "A Song of Ice and Fire" will be a classic.

                                      Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report

                                    • Cory Nielsen
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 5, 2006
                                        How about
                                        Dragonlance Chronicles
                                        Sword of shanarra
                                        Dragons of Pern

                                        Peta Smith wrote:

                                        >I second the Lord of the Rings of course. What about
                                        >* Earthsea (Le Guin)
                                        >* Gormenghast (Mervyn Peake)
                                        >* Magician and other Midkemia books (Feist)
                                        >* The Many Coloured Land (Julian May)
                                        >Peta

                                      • craigherbertson
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 2, 2007
                                          E. R. Eddison's "The Worm Ourborus" and his other three marvellous
                                          works stand out. Even less well known is the welsh author Kenneth
                                          Morris. Book of Three Dragons - short but really fantastic