Re: [Fantasy_Books] Recommendations

  • BONNIE BROYLES
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
      I would just like to third Martin's song of ice and Fire series, it is one of my absolute favorites!!

      mtnman <mountainman@...> wrote: Yes, I second Martins A Song of Fire and Ice!

      For another great series (and if you like magic, its a better series than
      Martins) try Steven Erikson The Malazan Book of the Fallen series which
      starts at Gardens of the Moon.

      Of course neither series is for lightweight fantasy buffs. :)

      Josh
      Bob's Creek

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2005
        I would definitely second Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen!
        Complicated plots, interesting ideas about gods and magic. Great
        stuff to me!

        I would also recommend new books and new authors:

        Michael A. Stackpole's new series, Age of Discovery, which starts
        with A Secret Atlas. It has more detailed world-building than his
        previous efforts (DragonCrown War, in particular), and a more
        interesting plot.

        James Clemens' new series, Chronicles of the Godslayer, which starts
        with Shadowfall. It is like Stackpole's new series, better world-
        building, and a more original plot. The system of magic and mythology
        is also very original, based on what I have read so far.

        Gregory Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone (The Briar King, The
        Charnel Prince) is an interesting and enjoyable series.

        R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series (The Darkness that Comes
        Before, The Warrior Prophet) is beautifully written, and rather epic
        in conception.

        Cheers!
        Edwin

        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, mtnman <mountainman@d...> wrote:

        > Yes, I second Martins A Song of Fire and Ice!
        >
        > For another great series (and if you like magic, its a better
        series than
        > Martins) try Steven Erikson The Malazan Book of the Fallen series
        which
        > starts at Gardens of the Moon.
        >
        > Of course neither series is for lightweight fantasy buffs. :)
        >
        > Josh
        > Bob's Creek

        List owner
        > Tim
        > > (I think)
        > > Then there's Jordan who spins a good tale but just doesn't know
        when to
        > > stop.
        > > Stephen King's Darktower series is also very good.
        > > You should find pretty well all of these in the fantasy/sci fi
        section of
        > > your bookstore.
        > > I almost forgot to include Anne McCaffrey's Pern series - but
        then I am a
        > > dragon nut.
        > > Also Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea series which was one of the
        first I ever
        > > read. Just whatever you do DON"T watch the miniseries.
        > > I'm sure I have neglected to mention some, other members can
        recommend
        > more.
        > > I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code. I read it overnight as I could not
        put it
        > down.
        > > Read Dan Brown's three previous books too .I reckon they are
        equally as
        > > good.
        > > Cheers, Peta
      • Rachel A Hyde
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
          Clive Barker I associate with his Books of Blood and that corny old horror film Hellraiser. Tim Powers I associate with...On Stranger Tides! I thought I would love a book about ghost pirates, as Treasure Island was such a favorite as a child and I love seafaring novels anyway (and anything about pirates) but it was not impressive. Thomas Covenant? Yes, he makes me want to break things too!

          Robin Hobb I do like, and have read her first two trilogies. As I like books with ships in them I enjoyed the second series best! I have also read her Megan Lindholm novels, and think that the Ki and Vandien quartet is the best thing she wrote. Since then, she has become rather too wordy which is a pity, but still a good read.

          I would love to read Raymond Feist, but have a problem. I want to start with Magician the extended version rather than the cut version which was what was originally published, but I don't know which edition is the "de luxe" one with the missing bits in it. Can anybody help here?

          I just find Guy Gavriel Kay boring, and whats-her-name who wrote the Deverrry books incomprehensible! Too much about reincarnations, and jumping about in time - I like a story that stays put!

          rachelahyde@...

        • Richard Claypool
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
            I thought on Stranger Tides was kinda interesting, but not as good as the
            Anubis gates or Last Call. The Stress of her Regard, I havn't decided how I
            feel about that yet. Really didn't like uh At Didbiant's palace. His short
            stories are really quite good. Plus, he's one heck of a nice and down to
            earth dude, and he was friends with Phil K. Dick, so that's kool.

            Never saw hellraser

            aim
            rclaypo
            skype
            lord_of_beer
            > Clive Barker I associate with his Books of Blood and that corny old horror
            > film Hellraiser. Tim Powers I associate with...On Stranger Tides! I
            > thought I would love a book about ghost pirates, as Treasure Island was
            > such a favorite as a child and I love seafaring novels anyway (and
            > anything about pirates) but it was not impressive. Thomas Covenant? Yes,
            > he makes me want to break things too!
            >
            > Robin Hobb I do like, and have read her first two trilogies. As I like
            > books with ships in them I enjoyed the second series best! I have also
            > read her Megan Lindholm novels, and think that the Ki and Vandien quartet
            > is the best thing she wrote. Since then, she has become rather too wordy
            > which is a pity, but still a good read.
            >
            > I would love to read Raymond Feist, but have a problem. I want to start
            > with Magician the extended version rather than the cut version which was
            > what was originally published, but I don't know which edition is the "de
            > luxe" one with the missing bits in it. Can anybody help here?
            >
            > I just find Guy Gavriel Kay boring, and whats-her-name who wrote the
            > Deverrry books incomprehensible! Too much about reincarnations, and
            > jumping about in time - I like a story that stays put!
            >
            > rachelahyde@...

          • darkomik772000
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel A Hyde" <rachelahyde@...>
              wrote:

              > Clive Barker I associate with his Books of Blood and that corny old
              horror film Hellraiser.

              Corny? I beg to differ. That movie's based on his novella "The
              Hellbound Heart" which is slightly different from the movie he's
              directed.
              It wouldn't do to dismiss him just 'cuz of his early works. If you
              read his later ones, you'll find those different. Barker called
              himself a "writer of the fantastic". Barker doesn't just write about
              monsters and ghosts and demons. There are other fantastic that are
              none of these mentioned.